set up my 55 gal - criticism wanted! - Page 8 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 82 Old 05-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slojko View Post
after i scrubbed the front and scooped it out, you cant really notice but here is a vid with my new camera

You're going to change that substrate, correct? A darker sand will look nice, and the fish colours will show more. And some floating plants.

Nice looking fish.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #72 of 82 Old 05-08-2012, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
You're going to change that substrate, correct? A darker sand will look nice, and the fish colours will show more. And some floating plants.

Nice looking fish.
yes I'm gonna pick up some quickcrete around 3.

Also I'm doing the substrate change today because my plants arrived!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
slojko is offline  
post #73 of 82 Old 05-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slojko View Post
yes I'm gonna pick up some quickcrete around 3.

Also I'm doing the substrate change today because my plants arrived!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
One suggestion, set aside the day to do the changeover. And start about half an hour after the tank lights come on (this gives the fish a chance to adjust before you start crashing around their home. In other words, if the plants arrive today and you get the sand today, do this tomorrow (or a day after).

This is a big task, I've done it often, and you want to do it early in the day so the fish have time to settle before dark, and you want to go easy and not be rushed.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #74 of 82 Old 05-08-2012, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
the only day I can do it early is Saturday, should I leave all my new plants in my 10 gallon until then? Or should I just do it today
Posted via Mobile Device
slojko is offline  
post #75 of 82 Old 05-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slojko View Post
the only day I can do it early is Saturday, should I leave all my new plants in my 10 gallon until then? Or should I just do it today
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't know where you live so no idea of the time of day now, but you mentioned getting the sand at 3 pm. I myself would not start this big a task that late. The plants will be fine in the 10g, spread them out, plant the rooted ones, if they came in pots leave them potted.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #76 of 82 Old 05-08-2012, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
eastern time, my bad. Does the filter need to be on for the plants or can I have them in still water until Saturday. The earliest I can start on a weekday would be 2pm
Posted via Mobile Device
slojko is offline  
post #77 of 82 Old 05-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slojko View Post
eastern time, my bad. Does the filter need to be on for the plants or can I have them in still water until Saturday. The earliest I can start on a weekday would be 2pm
Posted via Mobile Device
Plants are OK in tanks with no filter. Heater only if it is otherwise very cold, not likely now. Light is good though, if more than a day; they've already been in darkness a few days getting to you.

If you can wash the new sand ahead, and have it in a couple of buckets, it will speed things up a lot and starting in the early afternoon would be fine. My point on the time is just that you don't want to be rushed, I like to have time to go easy, sit and check out the aquascape as i building it, rather than feeling the fish are having to be settled soon.

I have 5 buckets/pails just for fish work, the 2-3 gallon size, they are very handy for holding washed sand/gravel, and for taking out the old gravel or sand, just scoop it into a couple of pails and leave it for later to deal with.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #78 of 82 Old 05-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Member
 
Termato's Avatar
 
Have you thought about doing a black background instead of blue?

Pops colors more.
Termato is offline  
post #79 of 82 Old 05-08-2012, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Plants are OK in tanks with no filter. Heater only if it is otherwise very cold, not likely now. Light is good though, if more than a day; they've already been in darkness a few days getting to you.

If you can wash the new sand ahead, and have it in a couple of buckets, it will speed things up a lot and starting in the early afternoon would be fine. My point on the time is just that you don't want to be rushed, I like to have time to go easy, sit and check out the aquascape as i building it, rather than feeling the fish are having to be settled soon.

I have 5 buckets/pails just for fish work, the 2-3 gallon size, they are very handy for holding washed sand/gravel, and for taking out the old gravel or sand, just scoop it into a couple of pails and leave it for later to deal with.
i put the java moss, vals , and pygym chainsword in the 10g.
i put the watersprites laying on the surface of my 55gal.

going to wash the sand today and everything else tomorrow.

i feel you on the time aspect but i just don't have many decorations.

so i put the large plants in the back and small ones near the front?

do i tie the moss to a rock or do i need wire netting?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termato View Post
Have you thought about doing a black background instead of blue?

Pops colors more.
the blue is sealed to the plexiglass so i cant do anything but paint it, thanks for the suggestion though.
slojko is offline  
post #80 of 82 Old 05-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
so i put the large plants in the back and small ones near the front?
Basically, yes. Group some plants to look natural. The pygmy chain sword you can plant individually spaced out around the tank, it will send out runners and be everywhere if you let it.

Quote:
do i tie the moss to a rock or do i need wire netting?
I just stick it in a crevice if there is one. You can tie it with cotton thread, black is best. It will attach in time. Someone posted about the netting yesterday with photos, that is another option but I've not done that.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome