set up my 55 gal - criticism wanted! - Page 4
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » set up my 55 gal - criticism wanted!

set up my 55 gal - criticism wanted!

This is a discussion on set up my 55 gal - criticism wanted! within the Freshwater and Tropical Fish forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> On the plant question, Water Sprite is a floating plnat and if you can get it, buy it. It is ideal for this, plus ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Twig Catfish
Twig Catfish
Odessa Barb
Odessa Barb
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
set up my 55 gal - criticism wanted!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #31
 
Byron's Avatar
 
On the plant question, Water Sprite is a floating plnat and if you can get it, buy it. It is ideal for this, plus all fish love a "roof" of floating plants over them. The Corkscrew Vallisneria will also be very good. Both these are fast growers, and very nice plants as well. Click shaded names for profile and photos.

On the catfish question, a group of 5 or more corys (Corydoras paleatus, Corydoras aeneus, Corydoras trilineatus are some of the more common ones, click the shaded names for the profiles with photos). If you have one species, 5 or more; if you want two or more species, get at least 3 of each species. Corys are very social fish. The Whiptail Catfish is interesting. You have room for corys and a whiptail or a couple whiptail.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #32
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
On the plant question, Water Sprite is a floating plnat and if you can get it, buy it. It is ideal for this, plus all fish love a "roof" of floating plants over them. The Corkscrew Vallisneria will also be very good. Both these are fast growers, and very nice plants as well. Click shaded names for profile and photos.

On the catfish question, a group of 5 or more corys (Corydoras paleatus, Corydoras aeneus, Corydoras trilineatus are some of the more common ones, click the shaded names for the profiles with photos). If you have one species, 5 or more; if you want two or more species, get at least 3 of each species. Corys are very social fish. The Whiptail Catfish is interesting. You have room for corys and a whiptail or a couple whiptail.

Byron.
im going to order 8 pygmy chain swords, 5 water sprites and 5 corkscrew vals

the pet store only had 1 cory and they didn't carry any whiptails so i got 3 upside down catfish.

thank you for posting in my thread you are very knowledgeable.

Last edited by slojko; 05-03-2012 at 04:22 PM..
slojko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #33
 
Quantum's Avatar
 
your substrate looks to me to be the type meant for saltwater tanks, if it is it may alter the water chemistry
Quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #34
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
your substrate looks to me to be the type meant for saltwater tanks, if it is it may alter the water chemistry
its playsand from home depot, it said not for aquarium use on the front but the same company makes aquarium sand
slojko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #35
 
Quantum's Avatar
 
play sand is OK - assuming it is just quartz sand

yours looked really white, so I thought it may be CaCO3 - something like crushed coral or aragonite
Quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #36
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slojko View Post
its playsand from home depot, it said not for aquarium use on the front but the same company makes aquarium sand
Am I understanding this correctly? You used a sand that has "not for aquarium use" on the bag? If this is the case, there may be substances in the sand that will be harmful to fish. The playsand i use is tan/gray and it does not say this on the bag.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #37
 
I would encourage you to get more upside down catfish but not until we figure out this sand issue. Simply because the company makes aquarium quality sand does not mean all of it's products are aquarium safe. It's very possible they have multiple quarries with one or more containing substances toxic to fish.
ladayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #38
 
this product contains small amounts of crystalline silica a common mineral found in natural sands and stones. excessive inhalation of respirable silica dust may cause cancer and lung disease. avoid breathing in the dust.

myoldcastle.com

this is what is says on the bag. hope it helps.

the substrate looks crystal like and has a few black dots mixed in

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...pot-60603.html

some research says its safe.

Last edited by slojko; 05-04-2012 at 02:43 PM..
slojko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #39
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slojko View Post
this product contains small amounts of crystalline silica a common mineral found in natural sands and stones. excessive inhalation of respirable silica dust may cause cancer and lung disease. avoid breathing in the dust.

myoldcastle.com

this is what is says on the bag. hope it helps.

the substrate looks crystal like and has a few black dots mixed in

Kolorscape sand at Home Depot? - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

some research says its safe.
Safe for humans is not necessarily safe for a fish tank.

The sand in that link is not good for soft water fish aquaria. It would be OK in rift lake cichlid tanks or livebearers. Reason is the fizz. When an acid like vinegar is dropped on sand or rock and it fizzes, that means the sand/rock is calcareous. It contains calcium, possibly magnesium and other minerals, that will raise GH in the tank slowly and steadily. That shouldn't be put in a tank with soft water fish.

The silica is an issue too, though we hashed this out in a thread a while back and there may be some "silica" in most sand. But the playsand I use has no warnings about it on the label, so I would assume there may be more in the linked sand. And this can cause diatoms (commonly called brown algae, but not a true algae).
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #40
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Safe for humans is not necessarily safe for a fish tank.

The sand in that link is not good for soft water fish aquaria. It would be OK in rift lake cichlid tanks or livebearers. Reason is the fizz. When an acid like vinegar is dropped on sand or rock and it fizzes, that means the sand/rock is calcareous. It contains calcium, possibly magnesium and other minerals, that will raise GH in the tank slowly and steadily. That shouldn't be put in a tank with soft water fish.

The silica is an issue too, though we hashed this out in a thread a while back and there may be some "silica" in most sand. But the playsand I use has no warnings about it on the label, so I would assume there may be more in the linked sand. And this can cause diatoms (commonly called brown algae, but not a true algae).
so what would you recommend doing with my substrate? i have never had this problem and i dont have a solution. is it worth it, how harmful to the fish can it be?

i dont know how to do this without having to cycle my tank again

people have claimed to be using this exact sand for a couple years in their aquarium so maybe the chemicals come out when washed.

Last edited by slojko; 05-04-2012 at 03:43 PM..
slojko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 PM.