09-18-2009, 11:47 PM
| || |
There are several issues:
1. Your tank doesn't seem cycled at all.
2. Turn your lights out to drop the wafers in... don't let the wafers sit more than 2 hours. The leftover food may be contributing to the poor water parameters.
3. Temp is fine at 75 for a pleco though I prefer 78 or so. Plecos tolerate a wide range of temp.
4. Plecos prefer PH in the 6.5 - 7.5 range.
Just because a pleco can tolerate 73 - 83 degrees and a PH of 6.5 - 7.5 doesn't mean you should allow your tank to fluctuate much. Gradual changes in thee paramters is fine as long as tehy stay within the optimal range for your fish
5. The fish is new... under optimal conditions your fish may take a couple of days or a week or so to aclimate befoe it starts eating. Based on your previous info this doesn't seem like the reason... it is your nitrite.
Your target water parameters should always be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 or less nitrate (your 15 is fine... it will get removed with your PWC (partial water changes).
I would strongly recommend doing a PWC of 30% or more ASAP. Just make sure that the new water is properly treated and that the temp. is the same as your tank water.