We have just set up a beautiful tank and suddenly our fish began dying and rather quickly! I have no clue what could be going wrong. Our water parameters seem perfect and everyone of fish seem to get along quite well even though some seem an odd mix. There has been no nipping or missing fins. We have added plenty of caves, including a large sunken ship and plenty of plants for hiding places. I thought alll was going quite well until our fish began dying with little warning. What are we doing wrong, someone help before we lose all our fish!!!!!
1. 55 gallon
2. Nutrafin mini master test kit used. Parameters Ammonia;0, Nitrite;0, Nitrate;5, PH; 7.0
4. 3 weeks
5. 1 black ghost knife(2 in.), 2 rainbow sharks( 1 1/2 in.), a pleco (2 in), 1 upside down catfish ( 1inch), 1 cichlid ( 3/4 in.) and 1 dragon goby (4 in). In the last 3 days the dragon goby, cichlid and upside down catfish have all died. They seem to be dying in order in which we had placed them in the tank all were put in within days of eachother.
6. No quarantine period. (Obviously a mistake on my part)
7. 76-77 degrees ferenheit
8. No live plants
9. Tetra whisper EX45, plan to change mothly
10. Airator stone
11. Aquarium is beside window with sunlight but not in any direct sunlight
12. 25% water change 4 days ago. Done weekly.
13. Bloodworms, tropical fish flakes daily
14. Each one that has died seemed fine one minute then very ill and dead within hours. They began hanging around the bottom just laying there. I noticed that my cichlid seem to be panicky, opening and closing his mouth rapidly. Looked for white spots none visible to me, the upside down catfish seemed to have some tiny bumps on his side but not sure if that is normal for his kind.