Ph is dropping in my 30 gallon. Need help - Page 4
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Ph is dropping in my 30 gallon. Need help

Ph is dropping in my 30 gallon. Need help

This is a discussion on Ph is dropping in my 30 gallon. Need help within the Freshwater and Tropical Fish forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> I have never been in depth over the properties of each light. I just use the plain ol' daylight fluorescents for my plants....

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Cardinal Tetra
Cardinal Tetra
Salt and Pepper Cory
Salt and Pepper Cory
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Ph is dropping in my 30 gallon. Need help
Old 01-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #31
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
I have never been in depth over the properties of each light. I just use the plain ol' daylight fluorescents for my plants.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:53 PM   #32
 
Sorry , i am more of a gear head. Fish is just another hobby i stumbled on along the way. My new house im renting did not allow pets. So that is how i got started. But i think i have Fluorescent light. Time will tell i guess....... What kind of tanks do you have up and running at the moment?
55bldparrot30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #33
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Plain ol' river tanks full of loaches and then several snail tanks. I used to have plenty other fish but I no longer have them. Still have the angels, starry woodcat which I saw for the first time in 6 months, raphael, plecos, gold severums, bettas and the plain ol' guppies. I have a few others but can't remember them on top of my head having been focused on snails lately.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #34
 
I had thought about snails before but i have a small amount of salt in my tanks. I read somewhere that snails and claims dont really care for this. So i figured i wouldnt try it. Plus, some snail tanks seem to be over powering the whole tank. Maybe that only goes for some snails. Clams seem to be real interesting though. I read they like to borrow in the substrate and do just as good of job as snails when it comes to filtering the water.
55bldparrot30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:15 PM   #35
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
Plain ol' river tanks full of loaches and then several snail tanks. I used to have plenty other fish but I no longer have them. Still have the angels, starry woodcat which I saw for the first time in 6 months, raphael, plecos, gold severums, bettas and the plain ol' guppies. I have a few others but can't remember them on top of my head having been focused on snails lately.
One day i would love to keep gold severums. Do they have the bold ,human like personality the parrot fish have? I have a thing for intelligent fish.8)
55bldparrot30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:25 PM   #36
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55bldparrot30 View Post
One day i would love to keep gold severums. Do they have the bold ,human like personality the parrot fish have? I have a thing for intelligent fish.8)
A lot of cichlids actually are similar to parrots, various personalities. I grew my gold sevs from an inch to 6 inches in less than five months. They're intelligent fish and follow me around whenever they beg for food. They've spawned at least four times to my knowledge but I am not the least bit interested in rearing the fry so I just leave them to spawn and the loaches just thank me for free caviar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55bldparrot30 View Post
I had thought about snails before but i have a small amount of salt in my tanks. I read somewhere that snails and claims dont really care for this. So i figured i wouldnt try it. Plus, some snail tanks seem to be over powering the whole tank. Maybe that only goes for some snails. Clams seem to be real interesting though. I read they like to borrow in the substrate and do just as good of job as snails when it comes to filtering the water.
You do not need to use salt. Anything about salt being beneficial in the long run is bunk. All you need is table salt and the only time when you can use it is when ich outbreak occurs. The snails I am raising are not the pest snails that we often see. They're Pomacea canaliculata, Pomacea diffusa and Clithon corona along with some MTS that have blue and pink pastel colors that I am wanting to breed just for aesthetic reasons.

Clams aren't exactly the easiest inverts to keep and so are mussels. They need green floating algae to feed on and this algae isn't exactly the one you want to have in your tanks. Snails also do not filter out particles in the water. Only clams, mussels and most shrimps do. Any inverts will not do well with blood parrots though so you need to consider another tank if you want inverts.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #37
 
Do your severums have alot of red in them? I did not know they grew this fast. I am deffinantly keeping this fish in the near future. I like the parrots alot and the gold severums are simular in many aspects and they actually are from the wild. Thats seems much better to me........ I am planning on making a refugium for one of my tanks. Which I have posted under freshwater aquariums. Sounds dumb for freshwater but this way my parrots wont attack my inverts or delicate plants. I dont know much about inverts so sorry on what i am wrong about. I only know what i read since i have no experience in inverts. I was kinda hoping there was no pest snails in the plant i bought today. I checked closely and didnt see any. I guess the salt would knock them off if there was anyway?
55bldparrot30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:57 PM   #38
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55bldparrot30 View Post
Do your severums have alot of red in them? I did not know they grew this fast. I am deffinantly keeping this fish in the near future. I like the parrots alot and the gold severums are simular in many aspects and they actually are from the wild. Thats seems much better to me........ I am planning on making a refugium for one of my tanks. Which I have posted under freshwater aquariums. Sounds dumb for freshwater but this way my parrots wont attack my inverts or delicate plants. I dont know much about inverts so sorry on what i am wrong about. I only know what i read since i have no experience in inverts. I was kinda hoping there was no pest snails in the plant i bought today. I checked closely and didnt see any. I guess the salt would knock them off if there was anyway?
Hmmm..I had to look my sevs again. The male has red wiggle marks on its face and red dorsal and anal fins. The female is plain ol' gold. They're golden sevs nevertheless. If you want sevs with more red colors, get the reverse strain called red or red fire severums.

Most snails can tolerate salt well but only temporarily. Salt grains can burn their skin and kill them in the process. The same thing can happen with loaches, catfish, etc which is why when you treat them with salt, please make sure to thoroughly dissolve the salt and add slowly. I made a mistake of dumping salt directly before and killed 80% of my loaches and cories.

If you have any more questions about inverts, post them in FW Invertebrates section and I'll help you from there.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:23 PM   #39
 
No that is just for one day in the future as far as snails go. Do you know where to find pictures of the red fire severums? Or even know where to get them. I have never heard of this fish. Fish stores around this area seem to have a limited selection on fish. I wonder why that is? Seems to be more of the novice type fish in stores. I wish i lived near some of these places where these different kinds of fish are sold. Shipping fish doesnt seem like that great of an idea? What do you think.
55bldparrot30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:50 PM   #40
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Here's the cutie. Not mine.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Danios dropping like flies fishyinpa Cyprinids and Atherinids 7 01-22-2010 09:30 PM
Fish Dropping Like Flies? ScottishGirrl Tropical Fish Diseases 11 04-08-2009 01:20 PM
Just Dropping by to say hello aquafun Introduce Yourself 2 09-07-2008 05:29 AM
Dropping some pics. caferacermike Saltwater Journals 8 12-13-2006 09:16 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 PM.