Newbie! with some stocking/gen ?'s
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Newbie! with some stocking/gen ?'s

Newbie! with some stocking/gen ?'s

This is a discussion on Newbie! with some stocking/gen ?'s within the Freshwater and Tropical Fish forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Hello all, I am a Newbie that aquired a used 55 gallon tank and have a few ?'s. I have read PAGES upon PAGES ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
False Network Catfish
False Network Catfish
Striped Plecostomus L199
Striped Plecostomus L199
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Newbie! with some stocking/gen ?'s
Old 04-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
 
Newbie! with some stocking/gen ?'s

Hello all, I am a Newbie that aquired a used 55 gallon tank and have a few ?'s. I have read PAGES upon PAGES on this thread and would like a lil advice per my situation. I have two books coming in the next week that I am going to read too for knowledge.

First off my tank is 55 gal. I believe, It is 48"x24"X13" (or something close)

It came with an Aqua-Tech 30-60 and 2 other power filters one 8" wide and one 6" wide (no markings on either). There were also about 10 air pumps.

My first ? is, should I run the other 2filters besides the 30-60? Also they are used but work, should I buy newer ones (I have looked at aqua clear and emperor)?

Second, how much air should I be pumping into this tank, because I can tell that about 4 of the air pumps have been used and work.

The top of the tank is "spilt" in half with a plastic divider, I also need a hood with light, can anybody recommend a good one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Now my final AND MOST IMPORTANT ? for ya'll. I like Ciclids, but doesn't seem they like many other fish, specifically Blue Ram. I also like Dwarf Gourami's, Danios. Rainbows, amd Tetra. I want this to be a fish tank with some nice fish with color. Can anyone lead me down a road with some fish combos where they can all co-exist. Looking at this massive thing I would say the more fish the better for me. I seem to be getting too many answers with the diff. comparison charts I find.

Thank you for any help you can lend me!
bigk_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
 
Re: Newbie! with some stocking/gen ?'s

Quote:
My first ? is, should I run the other 2filters besides the 30-60? Also they are used but work, should I buy newer ones (I have looked at aqua clear and emperor)?
I have two of the Aqua Tech filters 30-60 and a magnum 350 on my fifty five gal. But I also have it stocked a little heavy.
Quote:
Second, how much air should I be pumping into this tank, because I can tell that about 4 of the air pumps have been used and work.
I don't pump any air in mine. It's not a must, but if you'd like to use them it's okay.
Quote:
The top of the tank is "spilt" in half with a plastic divider, I also need a hood with light, can anybody recommend a good one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Current USA and Satellite (sp) have some decent ones for a 100 dollars. Check out pet solutions or live aquaria.com
Quote:
Now my final AND MOST IMPORTANT ? for ya'll. I like Ciclids, but doesn't seem they like many other fish, specifically Blue Ram. I also like Dwarf Gourami's, Danios. Rainbows, amd Tetra. I want this to be a fish tank with some nice fish with color. Can anyone lead me down a road with some fish combos where they can all co-exist. Looking at this massive thing I would say the more fish the better for me. I seem to be getting too many answers with the diff. comparison charts I find.
If you like cichlids check out rainbow cichlids, Kribs, and other dwarf ones that aren't that aggressive. Try to stay away from convicts (they get really aggressive and worse during breeding), and any cichlids that get bigger than 4 inches at maturity.
Fat_Fender_40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hi! Newbie here! adiumroot Introduce Yourself 8 04-16-2009 07:56 PM
Hello ! Newbie here ! Newbie alert. ha ha angelleah1981 Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 1 12-06-2007 11:09 PM
Newbie Help matdehaast Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 7 04-03-2007 11:38 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.