New Owner with Tropical Fish Tank Needs Help - Page 3
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » New Owner with Tropical Fish Tank Needs Help

New Owner with Tropical Fish Tank Needs Help

This is a discussion on New Owner with Tropical Fish Tank Needs Help within the Freshwater and Tropical Fish forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by brooklynreaper13 I understand, and appreciate the help Byron. Next time I will definitely get the numbers, Im going back next week ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Black Ghost Knifefish
Black Ghost Knifefish
Upside Down Catfish
Upside Down Catfish
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
New Owner with Tropical Fish Tank Needs Help
Old 01-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #21
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynreaper13 View Post
I understand, and appreciate the help Byron.
Next time I will definitely get the numbers, Im going back next week for another test.
I have tested the tap water and it gets a zero reading for ammonia.
So far, thankfully, the other 5 fish are doing well. They are eating and acting normal so Im just gonna pray that they make it.
I have been adding the water conditioner when I do the water change, and also I have been adding something called Stress Zyme, for the good bacteria.
Maybe I should do a water change every 2 weeks because the water is really clear, no build up of any sort. And it seems things go nutty when I perform that 25% change.
A weekly water change is preferable to less often, for various reasons I won't get into now. And it should mean more water stability in the tank. However, it is possible there is something we are not seeing.

It will help to know the exact pH of the tap water and the tank. These should be close for a water change, but may not be; and a significant pH fluctuation can be deadly, especially to fish already weakened by the cycling. You mentioned in an earlier post of having a pH tester; is it strip or liquid, and which brand? And can you test the tap water on it own; it is best to let a glass of water sit out overnight for a more accurate reading? And the tank water?

A word on the Stress Zyme: don't use it. This product claims to break down organic compounds, and that would mean ammonia. I advocate letting nature handle this task in the substrate. There will be less to go wrong. For cycling, there are bacterial supplements that do work to speed up the process [none will instantly cycle a new tank]. Tetra's SafeStart does, and Seachem's Stability does. There are others now, but these two are reliable. I'm not suggesting you get these now, unless we see evidence of further problems in the nitrification cycle. So hold on to your money.

What water conditioner do you use?

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #22
 
brooklynreaper13's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
A weekly water change is preferable to less often, for various reasons I won't get into now. And it should mean more water stability in the tank. However, it is possible there is something we are not seeing.

It will help to know the exact pH of the tap water and the tank. These should be close for a water change, but may not be; and a significant pH fluctuation can be deadly, especially to fish already weakened by the cycling. You mentioned in an earlier post of having a pH tester; is it strip or liquid, and which brand? And can you test the tap water on it own; it is best to let a glass of water sit out overnight for a more accurate reading? And the tank water?

A word on the Stress Zyme: don't use it. This product claims to break down organic compounds, and that would mean ammonia. I advocate letting nature handle this task in the substrate. There will be less to go wrong. For cycling, there are bacterial supplements that do work to speed up the process [none will instantly cycle a new tank]. Tetra's SafeStart does, and Seachem's Stability does. There are others now, but these two are reliable. I'm not suggesting you get these now, unless we see evidence of further problems in the nitrification cycle. So hold on to your money.

What water conditioner do you use?

Byron.
Hey Byron!

K so for the ph tester I have liquid its called API ph test & adjuster kit. It comes with a bottle to test, a bottle to raise ph and a bottle to lower ph.
I performed the test in the tank just now and it read at 7.5
I have a cup of tap water waiting for testing tomorrow as suggested, going to leave it be overnight.

Funny you say hold on to my money, I have invested over $250 for a few $1 fish lol
I will stop adding the Stress Zyme and let it cycle on it own then. My filter should help with the cycling anyway I think right?

I was using Nutrafin Aqua plus for a conditioner but I ran out so now I have a bottle of Aqueon which I have not used yet because I still have a few more days before the next water change.

Also, the ammonia is still at 0.25


I can not thank you enough for your help!!
brooklynreaper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #23
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynreaper13 View Post
Hey Byron!

K so for the ph tester I have liquid its called API ph test & adjuster kit. It comes with a bottle to test, a bottle to raise ph and a bottle to lower ph.
I performed the test in the tank just now and it read at 7.5
I have a cup of tap water waiting for testing tomorrow as suggested, going to leave it be overnight.

Funny you say hold on to my money, I have invested over $250 for a few $1 fish lol
I will stop adding the Stress Zyme and let it cycle on it own then. My filter should help with the cycling anyway I think right?

I was using Nutrafin Aqua plus for a conditioner but I ran out so now I have a bottle of Aqueon which I have not used yet because I still have a few more days before the next water change.

Also, the ammonia is still at 0.25


I can not thank you enough for your help!!
You're welcome. API liquid pH kit is good, I have it. Will have more when i know the tap water pH.

Ammonia is an issue, but this may be due to the cycling or it may be related to the effect from using the Stress Zyme. Two options possible. Get a small bottle of water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia (Aquaeon does not, it is a good conditioner normally but it does not say it handles ammonia), Prime and Ultimate do, there are a couple others. Second, do a partial water change to lower the ammonia.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:
brooklynreaper13 (01-27-2012)
Old 01-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #24
 
brooklynreaper13's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
You're welcome. API liquid pH kit is good, I have it. Will have more when i know the tap water pH.

Ammonia is an issue, but this may be due to the cycling or it may be related to the effect from using the Stress Zyme. Two options possible. Get a small bottle of water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia (Aquaeon does not, it is a good conditioner normally but it does not say it handles ammonia), Prime and Ultimate do, there are a couple others. Second, do a partial water change to lower the ammonia.
Good day Byron!

6.8 are the results from the tap water left overnight.
What does this mean?
brooklynreaper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #25
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynreaper13 View Post
Good day Byron!

6.8 are the results from the tap water left overnight.
What does this mean?
This is interesting. Run some tap water now (when you read this) and test the pH (no waiting overnight) and post the result.

The tank pH is 7.5 so presumably there is calcareous gravel or rock in the tank, which in this case is good. Livebearers require harder water with a basic (above 7) pH.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #26
 
brooklynreaper13's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
This is interesting. Run some tap water now (when you read this) and test the pH (no waiting overnight) and post the result.

The tank pH is 7.5 so presumably there is calcareous gravel or rock in the tank, which in this case is good. Livebearers require harder water with a basic (above 7) pH.

Its around a 7.2, the test I did just now from the tap.
brooklynreaper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #27
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynreaper13 View Post
Its around a 7.2, the test I did just now from the tap.
Interesting that the tap water acidifies if it sits out overnight. Don't quite follow that. We should check the GH and KH, these you can ascertain from the water supply people, they probably have a website.

Anyway, the tank is 7.6 so that is fine as I said for livebearers. So on the original issue, I think the cycling caused the fish deaths.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #28
 
brooklynreaper13's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Interesting that the tap water acidifies if it sits out overnight. Don't quite follow that. We should check the GH and KH, these you can ascertain from the water supply people, they probably have a website.

Anyway, the tank is 7.6 so that is fine as I said for livebearers. So on the original issue, I think the cycling caused the fish deaths.

From the New York City DEP website:
RANGE/ AVERAGE
Hardness (mg/L CaCO3) 17 - 22 / 19

Hardness (grains/gallon[US]CaCO3) (6) 1.0 - 1.3 / 1.1

Alkalinity (mg/L CaCO3) 7.05 - 24 / 12.9

Calcium (mg/L) 4.8 - 6.4 / 5.5

Nitrate (mg/L nitrogen) 0.06 - 0.15/ 0.11

pH (pH units) (9) 6.6 - 8.2/ 7.2


I hope that helps
Thanks Byron!
brooklynreaper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #29
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynreaper13 View Post
From the New York City DEP website:
RANGE/ AVERAGE
Hardness (mg/L CaCO3) 17 - 22 / 19

Hardness (grains/gallon[US]CaCO3) (6) 1.0 - 1.3 / 1.1

Alkalinity (mg/L CaCO3) 7.05 - 24 / 12.9

Calcium (mg/L) 4.8 - 6.4 / 5.5

Nitrate (mg/L nitrogen) 0.06 - 0.15/ 0.11

pH (pH units) (9) 6.6 - 8.2/ 7.2



I hope that helps


Thanks Byron!
Not bad numbers, quite good in fact (depending how you view it). That wide pH range suggests water from different sources, and given NYC's size, that is no surprise. They must have several reservoirs.

These numbers indicate that the tank will tend to acidify as it establishes. Not good for livebearers, but ideal for soft water fish. Your choice.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:
brooklynreaper13 (02-02-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #30
 
brooklynreaper13's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Not bad numbers, quite good in fact (depending how you view it). That wide pH range suggests water from different sources, and given NYC's size, that is no surprise. They must have several reservoirs.

These numbers indicate that the tank will tend to acidify as it establishes. Not good for livebearers, but ideal for soft water fish. Your choice.

Hey Byron!

So I took a water sample to the pet store today and got some numbers..

Ammonia: 1.0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
Chlorine: 0
Alkalinity: 40
PH: 6.2
Hardness: 75

But I dont think any of these numbers make a difference, in my personal opinion, because all the fish are looking healthy and thriving!
Thankfully no deaths! And its been almost 3 weeks since I put the fish in.
I been doing my weekly water changes, I got rid of the Zyme product and I added another platy (sunburst)
They all look very happy!

Thank you so much for all your help!!!!!!!
brooklynreaper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i need some help with my fluval filter for my tropical fish tank jasonr2212 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 1 01-07-2012 05:35 PM
Hole In Wall Tropical Fish Tank Scuba2121 Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 14 10-03-2009 06:34 PM
starting a tropical fish tank? puffer boy Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 1 04-28-2008 09:24 AM


Tags
help with new owner, tropical fish tanks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 AM.