New to this. My fish keep dying, usually when I do water changes or add fish.
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » New to this. My fish keep dying, usually when I do water changes or add fish.

New to this. My fish keep dying, usually when I do water changes or add fish.

This is a discussion on New to this. My fish keep dying, usually when I do water changes or add fish. within the Freshwater and Tropical Fish forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Hi, I want to thank you in advance for any help or advice you can give me! Thank you for taking the time to ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Guppy
Guppy
Loreto Tetra
Loreto Tetra
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
New to this. My fish keep dying, usually when I do water changes or add fish.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
 
JennJenn83's Avatar
 
Exclamation New to this. My fish keep dying, usually when I do water changes or add fish.

Hi, I want to thank you in advance for any help or advice you can give me! Thank you for taking the time to read this. I have about a 45 gallon tank. I have had it for about 4 months. I let it run for a good 3 weeks before even adding any fish. I used the chemicals to cycle the tank. Well, I got carried away the first time I went to the pet store, and added way to many fish at one time. So, I learned from that, only 6 fish at a time, and wait 2 weeks before going to get another group to add to the tank. Well, I have gotten 4 groups of fish, as I am trying to stock my tank. I have only one fish left from my original start, one pink glofish, I lost my red wag platy this morning. I had her from the begining also. So, what I have now in the tank is 1 small pleco, 1 pink glofish, 3 neon tetras, and now 1 platy. I added water to the tank last night, where some water had evaporated, only 2 gallons of water. I conditioned it, and let it sit uncovered for about 4 hours before pouring it into the tank. I noticed my platies were hanging out by the heater, I checked the temp and it was about 72 degrees, so I turned up the heater slightly to bring it up a couple degrees. Well, this morning my orginal platy was no where to be found. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, the ph stays about 7.6 ammonia, at zero, and nitrates at zero. I'm not buying anymore mickey platties, they are just tooo sensitive for me. But I would like to build up my neon tetras, and have at least 3 platies, and I would like to have at least 4 or 6 glofish. Should I pick a different kind of fish than tropical? My mom told me that tropicals aren't as hardy and they die often, which she had oscars that lived forever! I really like the colorfulness of the tropical fish. Would mollies fit in with what I have? Also, it has been 2 weeks since I have added any fish at all to the tank. I don't wanna add anymore until I get this figured out. Should I not be adding six fish at one time? Again, thank you for your time! Looking forward to meeting some new people and hopefully making some new friends!
JennJenn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:37 AM   #2
 
Byron's Avatar
 
You are correct in not adding more fish until you figure out the problem. So let's see if we can.

You mention adding top-up water; do you do regular partial water changes? If yes, how often, and how much water each time? And which water conditioner do you use to treat the water? Are any other additives being used now? You mentioned chemicals to cycle the tank, exactly what was put in?

The tank water pH is 7.6; what is the pH of your tap water? Run a glass of tap water and let it sit overnight before testing, as this will give a more accurate reading for tap water pH because the carbon dioxide in the tap water needs to dissipate out.

One comment, 72F was a bit cool for platies, that may have partly contributed. If fish are being affected by some issue, anything else that adds stress is not good. The neons on the other hand will be fine in the low 70's. We can discuss that more later. First, let's find the source of the problem, and your answers to the above questions will help us.

Byron.

Last edited by Byron; 08-04-2010 at 12:39 AM..
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:28 AM   #3
 
JennJenn83's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
You are correct in not adding more fish until you figure out the problem. So let's see if we can.

You mention adding top-up water; do you do regular partial water changes? If yes, how often, and how much water each time? And which water conditioner do you use to treat the water? Are any other additives being used now? You mentioned chemicals to cycle the tank, exactly what was put in?

The tank water pH is 7.6; what is the pH of your tap water? Run a glass of tap water and let it sit overnight before testing, as this will give a more accurate reading for tap water pH because the carbon dioxide in the tap water needs to dissipate out.

One comment, 72F was a bit cool for platies, that may have partly contributed. If fish are being affected by some issue, anything else that adds stress is not good. The neons on the other hand will be fine in the low 70's. We can discuss that more later. First, let's find the source of the problem, and your answers to the above questions will help us.

Byron.

OK i will get the ph of the tap water in the imorning. I put the start right in it, but doing some reading on this site today, I just realized that did not help get the tank ready for fish. How can I tell when I have cycled the tank? I was doing regular water changes once a week. Should I stop? Am I messing up the good bacteria? Thank you for your time. Can u tell me how to add friends?
JennJenn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:59 AM   #4
 
tanker's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennJenn83 View Post
How can I tell when I have cycled the tank?
When you get a reading for nitrates and stop getting readings for ammonia or nitrite. Have you got test kits for testing ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? First part of the cycle, you'll get (high) ammonia readings, then you'll get (high) nitrite readings, then finally you'll get readings for nitrates. When you've got nitrates and nitrites drop to 0, your tank has cycled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennJenn83 View Post
Should I stop? Am I messing up the good bacteria?
No, you might need to do it even more frequently if your ammonia or nitrites are high, because they are both poisonous to your fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennJenn83 View Post
Can u tell me how to add friends?
If you select "user CP" from the selection across the top, then select "Contacts and friends" on the left hand side, you can type in the username of the person you want to add and click "add friend". It'll then send a friendship request to the user and if they accept they'll be added as a friend.

Last edited by tanker; 08-04-2010 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: left something out
tanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
 
JennJenn83's Avatar
 
Ok, my ammonia and nitrite have been reading zero for a few weeks now. I went out last night to look for a Nitrate test kit and couldn't find one, only the strips, which I've read on here are not even worth me spending my money on. I will get the nitrate kit tomorrow afterwork. Also, if my readings for nitrite and ammonia are reading zero, how often should I do water changes? Oh one more thing, I bought this tank used, and it had what I believe is filter media (little spiney balls) in the filters, should I rinse it and put it in the filters to help with the good bacteria? Thank you once again for your time! I really do appreciate it!
JennJenn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:08 AM   #6
 
JohnnyD44's Avatar
 
Tanker has answered your questions, but I'll throw this in.

Water changes are the healthiest thing you do for your fish, if you think about fish swim through lakes and oceans and currents all day long. The average person can't afford to do a water change everysingle day, so usually a water change of 50% once a week will suffice. However, as tanker said, you are in the middle of a cycle, any time you get a reading of your water (pick up an API Master Liquid Test Kit) of ammonia I would do an immediate 25-30% water change.

If you are unfamiliar with the cycling process, I would read up on this: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/
JohnnyD44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #7
 
tanker's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennJenn83 View Post
Oh one more thing, I bought this tank used, and it had what I believe is filter media (little spiney balls) in the filters, should I rinse it and put it in the filters to help with the good bacteria?
What sort of filter do you have and what's in there now?
tanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
 
Byron's Avatar
 
In addition to tanker's question, I still want to know what additives are going in the tank. What is your brand of water conditioner? And what was the specific name of the start product you used, and are you still using it? And when you do weekly water changes (that's very good long-term), how much of the tank's water is changed--1/4, 1/3, 1/2 etc?
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
 
JennJenn83's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD44 View Post
Tanker has answered your questions, but I'll throw this in.

Water changes are the healthiest thing you do for your fish, if you think about fish swim through lakes and oceans and currents all day long. The average person can't afford to do a water change everysingle day, so usually a water change of 50% once a week will suffice. However, as tanker said, you are in the middle of a cycle, any time you get a reading of your water (pick up an API Master Liquid Test Kit) of ammonia I would do an immediate 25-30% water change.

If you are unfamiliar with the cycling process, I would read up on this: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/

Thank you for the link I will read it! I appreciate all the help. You guys are very nice. I have been trying to get help in lots of different places and everyone was very rude to me. I really do appreciate all your advice. I am super happy that I found this site, and hope to make some good friends on here
JennJenn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
 
JennJenn83's Avatar
 
I am using Hartz water conditioner when I do the water changes. That is the only thing I am putting in the water. I usually do my water changes on Sunday, I have been doing them once a week, was wondering if I should maybe do them every other week. How often should I vaccuum the gravel? And when doing the water changes I usualy do about a third of the water. ONce again, thanks so much!
JennJenn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with new 10 gallon tank, cloudy water, fish dying Oliver82 Freshwater and Tropical Fish 27 06-02-2010 12:07 PM
Dying fish and cloudy water Steph Saltwater Fish Diseases 32 05-01-2009 11:40 AM
Fish Crisis!! Please Help, why are my Fish dying?? MollyPlatySwordtailfish Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 45 12-12-2008 01:01 AM
Help!! My fish keep dying livebearer Tropical Fish Diseases 9 07-16-2008 01:05 PM
Dying fish goldfishgill Tropical Fish Diseases 2 05-13-2007 04:36 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 PM.