Hello everyone, I am new here on TFK. I am not new at fish keeping by any means, I am new to what I am wanting to do with this tank. I am wanting to start a 10 gallon female betta sorority. I want to use absolutely no filtration if at all possible. This will be my first time planting. As far as stocking goes, I am going to do a little overstocking. Let me get to my questions which I will number for your convenience.
1. I know this is a horrible question being I am an experienced fish keeper but other than the chemicals that they sell at the store, is there another way to cycle a tank quickly? I want to get this moving.
2. If I have a heavily planted tank, will keeping eight females in it be an issue?
3. Can Ottos and Neon Tetras coincide with female bettas?
4. I was planning on using pea gravel as substrate, but I like the look of sand. Can you grow basic plants that I can buy at Petsmart in sand?
5. The lady at Petsmart said I needed a 17-watt T8 Floral bulb for the plants they had there. I know better than to take their information seriously. Is this true?
6. What do I need as far as fertilizer goes?
7. Can I accomplish a happy tank without filtration as long as it is heavily planted?
8. How do I go about introducing fish when it's time? If applicable, tetras and ottos first, then the females?
9. Will I still need to do water changes?
10. Will I need to put an air-stone or bubble wand in?
Those are all of the questions I can think of off of the top of my head. It's been a while since I've kept such a small tank. I'm looking to stock 8 females, 6 neon tetras and 3 ottos. I can do as many water changes necessary to make this healthy. I apologize for all of the questions.
Also, anyone in the St. Petersburg, FL area who is interested in a 33 gallon hex-front with a nice wooden stand, heater, UG filter, light, ect. as well as a 2.5 inch Red Devil / Midas (unsure on which he is) with a small bump visible (male) and/or a 5.5" Royal Pleco that have lived together peacefully if anyone is interested in them together. I am selling the tank with listed accessories for $125 the RD for $20 and the RP for $25. If you want the tank and the fish you can have it for $135. Will haggle but it's pick-up only.