NEW. Looking after friends take SOMETHINGS WRONG?
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » NEW. Looking after friends take SOMETHINGS WRONG?

NEW. Looking after friends take SOMETHINGS WRONG?

This is a discussion on NEW. Looking after friends take SOMETHINGS WRONG? within the Freshwater and Tropical Fish forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Hello, ive been house sitting for my friend and im looking after her tank, everythings fine with the tank, no ill fish. I'm just ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Leopold Angelfish
Leopold Angelfish
Roberts Tetra
Roberts Tetra
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
NEW. Looking after friends take SOMETHINGS WRONG?
Old 11-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
 
Exclamation NEW. Looking after friends take SOMETHINGS WRONG?

Hello, ive been house sitting for my friend and im looking after her tank, everythings fine with the tank, no ill fish. I'm just concerned about the types she has and how many.

Sadly i do not know the gallon but its 2.5ft long and about 60cm wide and 80cm high.
It has a fluval filter 105, a heater and live plants.
The fish it contains are:
x2 Discus
x2 Glass cat fish
x2 regular catfish
x1 Cory
x1 albino rainbow shark
x1 silver shark
x2 opaline gourami

They all get on fine and the tanks been running for two years, recent additions were the Gouramis (added 2 weeks ago) no fighting seen (a little chasing with the two gouramis) and the albino occationaly chases the silver shark.

any comments Im just concerned with her adding anymore fish, and what types.

(sorry for any spelling/grammer errors)

Thank you.
ChileanRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
 
I just calculated the tanks volume for you, its roughly 360 litres or 92 gallons as for the stocking I'll leave it up to someone more knowledgable to answer that x
Pufferfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pufferfish22 For This Useful Post:
ChileanRose (11-04-2011)
Old 11-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
 
Groovysunflowers's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileanRose View Post
Hello, ive been house sitting for my friend and im looking after her tank, everythings fine with the tank, no ill fish. I'm just concerned about the types she has and how many.

Sadly i do not know the gallon but its 2.5ft long and about 60cm wide and 80cm high.
It has a fluval filter 105, a heater and live plants.
The fish it contains are:
x2 Discus
x2 Glass cat fish
x2 regular catfish
x1 Cory
x1 albino rainbow shark
x1 silver shark
x2 opaline gourami

They all get on fine and the tanks been running for two years, recent additions were the Gouramis (added 2 weeks ago) no fighting seen (a little chasing with the two gouramis) and the albino occationaly chases the silver shark.

any comments Im just concerned with her adding anymore fish, and what types.

(sorry for any spelling/grammer errors)

Thank you.
I'm only going to comment on the things I know about from experience...

Glass Catfish do best in a group of 5-6 or more; I was pushed into buying one solo and it was very timid, very anti-social, and wasn't eating. Even in a pair, they won't thrive as well as they would in a school, as they are schooling fish. (Some say schooling, some say shoaling, either way, groups of 5 or more are preferred.)

By "regular catfish" what do you mean? There are infinite amounts of catfish species, lol 3 or 4 of them being named just in your post..I have experience with Pictus Catfish, and they also are preferred in groups of 3-5 or more to thrive well.

Same thing with the Cory. It's a "cory catfish" and does better in groups of 6 or more, if I have my information correct.

I'm worried about the Glass Catfish because they are extremely peaceful fish being housed with 4 semi-aggressive to aggressive tankmates that I know of- for example, the Gouramis, the albino rainbow shark (i have one and she is extremely territorial) and the silver shark, and depending on what kind of "regular catfish" it is, it could be semi-aggressive as well.

I would hope the tank is heavily planted, and provided with caves or decorations for the albino rainbow shark to hide..they are known to pick one or several spots in the tank as their "territory" and will often spend their time chasing other fish away. I think the same goes for the silver shark, if it's the fish I'm thinking of. Like I said I'm answering this based on experience with no prior googling, so if any of my information is incorrect, I apologize in advance!
Groovysunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Groovysunflowers For This Useful Post:
ChileanRose (11-04-2011)
Old 11-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
 
MinaMinaMina's Avatar
 
I don't know about how full the tank is because I don't know of any tank that size, but I can see that there are some problems. The fish do not have compatible temperature requirements, they do not have compatible temperments, the shoaling numbers are whack, and some fish may become Bala Shark food. From the measurements you gave, it doesn't sound like it would be enough for the Bala, perhaps others as well. And I didn't even count in the "regular catfish", I don't know what that means.

Maybe its time for a loving intervention with your friend?
MinaMinaMina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
 
Groovysunflowers's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaMinaMina View Post
I don't know about how full the tank is because I don't know of any tank that size, but I can see that there are some problems. The fish do not have compatible temperature requirements, the shoaling numbers are whack, and some fish may become Bala Shark food. From the measurements you gave, it doesn't sound like it would be enough for the Bala, perhaps others as well. And I didn't even count in the "regular catfish", I don't know what that means.

Maybe its time for a loving intervention with your friend?
I definitely agree with Mina, i didn't even take into account the water parameter requirements of the fish!
Groovysunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovysunflowers View Post
I'm only going to comment on the things I know about from experience...

Glass Catfish do best in a group of 5-6 or more; I was pushed into buying one solo and it was very timid, very anti-social, and wasn't eating. Even in a pair, they won't thrive as well as they would in a school, as they are schooling fish. (Some say schooling, some say shoaling, either way, groups of 5 or more are preferred.)

By "regular catfish" what do you mean? There are infinite amounts of catfish species, lol 3 or 4 of them being named just in your post..I have experience with Pictus Catfish, and they also are preferred in groups of 3-5 or more to thrive well.

Same thing with the Cory. It's a "cory catfish" and does better in groups of 6 or more, if I have my information correct.

I'm worried about the Glass Catfish because they are extremely peaceful fish being housed with 4 semi-aggressive to aggressive tankmates that I know of- for example, the Gouramis, the albino rainbow shark (i have one and she is extremely territorial) and the silver shark, and depending on what kind of "regular catfish" it is, it could be semi-aggressive as well.

I would hope the tank is heavily planted, and provided with caves or decorations for the albino rainbow shark to hide..they are known to pick one or several spots in the tank as their "territory" and will often spend their time chasing other fish away. I think the same goes for the silver shark, if it's the fish I'm thinking of. Like I said I'm answering this based on experience with no prior googling, so if any of my information is incorrect, I apologize in advance!
Ive had to search by photo and found the one, its called a Corydoras Catfish, and theres two of those.

Ive been at the house for a week and the fish are in great condition, the silver shark is extremley docile, and the albino is often seen cleaning the Discus. there are many hiding spots and pants in the tank. albino hardly comes out of its cave, only to eat and occationally explore. The only bad behaviour i have spotted is the two Gouramis, but they only chase each other for a few seconds before seperating.

I'll advise her to buy no more, and shall continue to keep a close eye on their behaviour. thank you very much for your information. :)
ChileanRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
 
Groovysunflowers's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileanRose View Post
Ive had to search by photo and found the one, its called a Corydoras Catfish, and theres two of those.

Ive been at the house for a week and the fish are in great condition, the silver shark is extremley docile, and the albino is often seen cleaning the Discus. there are many hiding spots and pants in the tank. albino hardly comes out of its cave, only to eat and occationally explore. The only bad behaviour i have spotted is the two Gouramis, but they only chase each other for a few seconds before seperating.

I'll advise her to buy no more, and shall continue to keep a close eye on their behaviour. thank you very much for your information. :)
Well, it makes more sense now knowing the tank is roughly 92 gallons, and with it being over a couple years old now, the fish have established themselves. Like i mentioned, my concern lies in the number of fish she has, as far as group wise. And just because they all "seem" happy, doesn't mean there is no present stress in the tank. I know this personally for housing peaceful fish with semi-aggressive fish. If you can, tell her to reconsider her stocking options; either trading out some fish for groups of more of one kind, or to pick a favorite species in the tank and build around that fish (water parameters, compatibility, etc.)
Groovysunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Groovysunflowers For This Useful Post:
ChileanRose (11-04-2011)
Old 11-04-2011, 05:17 PM   #8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovysunflowers View Post
Well, it makes more sense now knowing the tank is roughly 92 gallons, and with it being over a couple years old now, the fish have established themselves. Like i mentioned, my concern lies in the number of fish she has, as far as group wise. And just because they all "seem" happy, doesn't mean there is no present stress in the tank. I know this personally for housing peaceful fish with semi-aggressive fish. If you can, tell her to reconsider her stocking options; either trading out some fish for groups of more of one kind, or to pick a favorite species in the tank and build around that fish (water parameters, compatibility, etc.)

Will do, thank you very very much for your help. This information is very useful, thank you.
ChileanRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Somethings wrong with this little guy tangy Tropical Fish Diseases 1 12-04-2008 01:09 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 PM.