Neon Tetras are killing each other! - Page 3
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Neon Tetras are killing each other!

Neon Tetras are killing each other!

This is a discussion on Neon Tetras are killing each other! within the Freshwater and Tropical Fish forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by Tropical Trav I haven't measured any nitrite since I started the cycle 2 weeks ago. Any thoughts?? Ohhhh... I thought you ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Three Line Cory
Three Line Cory
Dwarf Loach
Dwarf Loach
Like Tree7Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Neon Tetras are killing each other!
Old 04-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #21
JDM
 
JDM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trav View Post
I haven't measured any nitrite since I started the cycle 2 weeks ago. Any thoughts??
Ohhhh... I thought you hadn't measured for it... not that it measured zero. Sorry.

Jeff.
JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #22
 
So when can/should I add more fish? I only have 2 neons in there right now. I know I need to continue to get ammonia in the tank to create the bacteria. I just want to make sure I do the right thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tropical Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #23
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trav View Post
So when can/should I add more fish? I only have 2 neons in there right now. I know I need to continue to get ammonia in the tank to create the bacteria. I just want to make sure I do the right thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
You have live plants, they will deal with ammonia, and you don't need to be adding it in any form, it will occur naturally. For one thing, it is in your tap water.

There may still be some confusion over "cycling" and plants, so let me explain this once more. When you have live plants, especially fast growing such as stem and floating plants, they will take up much of the ammonia produced by a few fish and the breakdown of organics by bacteria in the substrate. The nitrifying bacteria will still appear but they will be minimal because the plants out-compete most of them for the ammonia. Our test kits will not be able to register ammonia or nitrite because of the plants.

Now, you are adding ammonia with the source water and this is all at once, which is why you are seeing ammonia on tests. But the Prime changes ammonia to non-toxic ammonium. The plants and bacteria take up the ammonium just as ammonia, so there is no change except the ammonium is not hurting the fish.

As long as the plants are growing, you can add a few fish, slowly. Here we come to the aggressive neons...are the two left the bad guys?
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #24
 
Yes they are the two bullies. I am going to replace them and start fresh. I still want neons and glass catfish and cherry barbs. Should I stock a different species first?
Posted via Mobile Device
Tropical Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #25
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trav View Post
Yes they are the two bullies. I am going to replace them and start fresh. I still want neons and glass catfish and cherry barbs. Should I stock a different species first?
Posted via Mobile Device
Fish, like the leopard who doesn't change its spots, won't change behaviours, so I would get rid of the two neons. Will the store take them in exchange? Adding other neons to your existing aquazrium with these two will be risky, as the two are in their space and clearly want to own it. In the store tank, they may be out-competed.

If cherry barbs are you choice, I would add them first, a group of 7 would be nice.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #26
 
Excellent. I will return the Neons and stock 7-8 Cherry Barbs first. Next up should be the 10 new Neons or the 7-8 Glass Catfish?
Tropical Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #27
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trav View Post
Excellent. I will return the Neons and stock 7-8 Cherry Barbs first. Next up should be the 10 new Neons or the 7-8 Glass Catfish?
This is a bit tricky to answer. From the perspective of water chemistry/biology, I would add the Glass Cats last as they are by far the most sensitive. But there is also the issue of the neons and barbs getting settled, and then the "intruders" arrive and could get picked on. But if the plants are good and thick--and before the Glass Cats are added I wold have a thick planting including lots of floating plants like Water Sprite--the GC should be OK.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #28
 
sounds good. I will get some barbs and I will also take a picture of my aquarium and post it for advice on more plants/ placement etc. One problem I have as far as floating plants is water sprite is really hard to find around here. I ordered one plant online and was $23 to get it shipped. Also, they sent a potted one that I had to take the pot and rock wool off of. As far as planted plants go, I like hornwort and have some in my tank. I wouldn't mind getting more if you think that is a good, bushy plant for hiding.
Tropical Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #29
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trav View Post
sounds good. I will get some barbs and I will also take a picture of my aquarium and post it for advice on more plants/ placement etc. One problem I have as far as floating plants is water sprite is really hard to find around here. I ordered one plant online and was $23 to get it shipped. Also, they sent a potted one that I had to take the pot and rock wool off of. As far as planted plants go, I like hornwort and have some in my tank. I wouldn't mind getting more if you think that is a good, bushy plant for hiding.
Wisteria would be good, if your light is sufficient. Planted in the substrate it forms thick bushes. It can also be floated. Brazilian Pennywort is a nice plant when floated.

If I lived in the USA I would send you some Water Sprite. But I have had bad luck getting plants across the border, US Agriculture do not like live plants coming in for fear of disease and other issues, and the holdup usually kills the plants so I won't try as it is too expensive for me and they don't make it.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #30
 
I will look into Wisteria and Brazilian Pennywort for sure. I have a Life Glo 20 watt 6700 K light.
Tropical Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help, what is this killing my Cardinal Tetras? GwenInNM Tropical Fish Diseases 1 07-10-2011 09:01 AM
Neon rainbows killing one fish in tank GwenInNM Cyprinids and Atherinids 4 06-06-2011 10:30 PM
do black tetras and neon tetras school together? MrEd Characins 9 02-02-2011 05:13 PM
Do Neon Tetras school with any other fish (part. Gold Tetras or Harlequin Rasboras)? Akeath Freshwater and Tropical Fish 1 11-09-2009 07:15 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 AM.