Need advice on what fish to put together - Page 7
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Need advice on what fish to put together

Need advice on what fish to put together

This is a discussion on Need advice on what fish to put together within the Freshwater and Tropical Fish forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Do I want to use Silica sand? Posted via Mobile Device...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Reticulated Cory
Reticulated Cory
Clown Loach
Clown Loach
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Need advice on what fish to put together
Old 08-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #61
 
Do I want to use Silica sand?
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluydgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #62
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluydgrl View Post
Do I want to use Silica sand?
Posted via Mobile Device
No, but having said that, silica may be present in playsand. Look for the Quikrete Play Sand, nothing else. I've been using this for over 2 years now and have had no issues with silicates (which can cause diatoms or brown algae), water chemistry (it is inert), etc. And the corys love it.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #63
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
No, but having said that, silica may be present in playsand. Look for the Quikrete Play Sand, nothing else. I've been using this for over 2 years now and have had no issues with silicates (which can cause diatoms or brown algae), water chemistry (it is inert), etc. And the corys love it.
I went to Lowe's and they only had the tan play sand.It turns darker(i read)when it get wet.So i went with River Run sand that it white.Looks cream color not white.Will this be ok?
Also can you help me out with the filter to use?Should i use the Rena XP2 or the Marineland Bio wheel Power Filter Penguin 200.My mng at the LFS said to go the Marinland.He uses those and hates the canister.To each his own tho?I know Ruskull uses the Rena.What are your thoughts?Money isn't a issue.I just want the best for my fish and tank
Bluydgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #64
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskull View Post
Thank you! Yes, it's black sand with some black gravel mixed in. I'm slowly removing all the black gravel, a little with each water change. I originally added the gravel to help hold down the plants. Now it's not necessary but I have to admit, it looks more natural with sand & gravel together.
Do you use the lid the 36 gallon came with?I was thinking about getting some glass cut for it and getting a LED light.Doesn't live plants need good lighting?

Last edited by Bluydgrl; 08-22-2012 at 06:54 PM..
Bluydgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #65
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluydgrl View Post
I went to Lowe's and they only had the tan play sand.It turns darker(i read)when it get wet.So i went with River Run sand that it white.Looks cream color not white.Will this be ok?
Also can you help me out with the filter to use?Should i use the Rena XP2 or the Marineland Bio wheel Power Filter Penguin 200.My mng at the LFS said to go the Marinland.He uses those and hates the canister.To each his own tho?I know Ruskull uses the Rena.What are your thoughts?Money isn't a issue.I just want the best for my fish and tank
It's your choice in sand, but I am not partial to white or light sand. Fish are uneasy over this, as light reflects off it and this is unnatural. The playsand is "tan" and it is light enough, but not so much that the fish seem bothered, and it does replicate what is in Amazonia. If yo haven't opened it, you could exchange it for the playsand. Up to you.

If you intend plants, forget the biowheel. A canister like the Rena that is the recommended size for the tank is sufficient. For your 36g tank, you want the Rena XP1 which is rated for tanks up to 45g. This will be more than adequate. I have a Rena XP3 on my 115g and I like it; I have two Eheim canisters on the 70g and 90g, and while it can be argued that they are better made and will last longer (my two have been running non-stop for 15 years now with n o problems, so that is certainly reliable) I went with the Rena XP3 three years ago mainly because i couldn't buy Eheim locally, and Rena was rated second to Eheim. It may not last as long, too early to tell, but it certainly does the job. One problem with Rena is the hose length is only five feet; Eheim have longer hoses, but that is a concern more for 4-5 foot tanks where you want to reach the far end.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #66
 
Ok great...I will take the sand back and buy the filter tonight online.I will have live plants.My friend has alot she wants to give me.I have never had any live plants.Sand will hold those down?Any special thing I need to do to put them in the tank?
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluydgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #67
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluydgrl View Post
Ok great...I will take the sand back and buy the filter tonight online.I will have live plants.My friend has alot she wants to give me.I have never had any live plants.Sand will hold those down?Any special thing I need to do to put them in the tank?
Posted via Mobile Device
This thread is getting long, but I expect we;ve discussed light and liquid fertilizer, so that's it.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #68
 
I've noticed there is API Rena Filstar XP1 and just a Rena XP1.Which one should i buy?
Bluydgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:45 AM   #69
 
Blackfeet's Avatar
 
I have a couple questions. I let my wife chose the substrate and it turned out to be a course quartz gravel. I want to replace it with play sand. How fast can I do the switch?
Second is I have seen colored play sand, is it aquarium safe? I don't plan on using it as it is just as expensive as live aquarium sand just curious
Blackfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:47 AM   #70
 
Blackfeet's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluydgrl View Post
I've noticed there is API Rena Filstar XP1 and just a Rena XP1.Which one should i buy?
I believe they are the same thing
Blackfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
advice on right fish... weigie Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 4 04-18-2012 04:42 PM
advice on fish guy with a fish Freshwater and Tropical Fish 2 01-27-2012 12:40 AM
Need Fish Advice!!! The Wind Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 5 09-01-2010 10:23 PM
My 55g fish tank just lost all its fish, I desperatly am seeking advice. joeyburger Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 22 07-08-2010 02:13 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 PM.