Originally Posted by rhymon78
I am going to be bold, and say..... Just don't bother with soft water fish!
Get rid of all the small tanks and buy one big one and keep a nice african cichlid tank, they love hard water! simple.
My main issue is the $$. If I could keep a bigger tank I would. Maybe in the future.
I would rather get distilled water every time for water changes than give up on the Rams
I have been thinking a lot about this and I think the most plausible solution would be to use either distilled water or the peat. Those will most likely be my final solutions. The peat I don't want to use because of the tannin but that is whats going to make the change. The distilled water I don't want to use because I don't want to get new water for every water change I do.
Regardless before I change my water, i have to wait another week until I can retreat my 29 for possible parasite eggs from Camallanus. Then I'm moving over the rams and kribensis (swap).
I am getting a control variable for the nitrate today and testing bottled water. I will post results when I get home. Depending on the results, I will act accordingly. If I get a reading of 0ppm from the bottled water, I will retest the tap and the tanks. If I don't get 0ppm from the bottled water then I can't rely on the API Test.
I am going to deal with the nitrates first, as I think this will be easier to deal with and a bigger problem then the hardness. The PetSmart keeps them in our local high nitrate hard tap water, so it is no different from them being at the store (other then my tanks are cleaner).