internal filter positioning
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » internal filter positioning

internal filter positioning

This is a discussion on internal filter positioning within the Freshwater and Tropical Fish forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> I dunno if its worth the ask but im on here so i will ask anyways, i have a 4ft tank and for now ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Cardinal Tetra
Cardinal Tetra
Smudge Spot Cory
Smudge Spot Cory
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
internal filter positioning
Old 08-12-2012, 05:24 AM   #1
 
Joe1985's Avatar
 
internal filter positioning

I dunno if its worth the ask but im on here so i will ask anyways, i have a 4ft tank and for now i have 2x 1200L/H internal filters, now what would be the most beneficial position to place each filter? does it matter?
Joe1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
 
jennesque's Avatar
 
With one it's best to put it towards the middle.. with two, I'd probably try to space them out so they're about where each 1/3 of the tank is for even filtering.. probably not crucial. It's good to have one by the heater to circulate the heated water.
Posted via Mobile Device
jennesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
 
Joe1985's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennesque View Post
With one it's best to put it towards the middle.. with two, I'd probably try to space them out so they're about where each 1/3 of the tank is for even filtering.. probably not crucial. It's good to have one by the heater to circulate the heated water.
Posted via Mobile Device

dont 100% understand, on the side of tank in middle aiming towards middle of tank? i have 2 on the right side next to each other, thinking of putting 1 o either end
Joe1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
 
jennesque's Avatar
 
Sorry... what I'm trying to say if you were to divide the tank into thirds drawing lines down the glass, I would put the filters approximately where those lines are for optimal circulation. Does that make more sense? Certainly doesn't have to be exact.. I have my filter left of the middle hidden behind some drift wood.
Posted via Mobile Device
jennesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
If you want the best circulation/filtration, put one in the front corner and the other in the back corner on the other side. The front one should push water across the front of the tank, and the back one across the back, creating a circular flow in the tank.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #6
 
Joe1985's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
If you want the best circulation/filtration, put one in the front corner and the other in the back corner on the other side. The front one should push water across the front of the tank, and the back one across the back, creating a circular flow in the tank.
brilliant idea jaysee will do that right now :) the whirlpool type effect correct?
Joe1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #7
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
Yes exactly. That's how all my tanks are set up. The fish much prefer that kind of a current versus the crazy stuff you get when the water flow is directed straight into the glass.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #8
 
Joe1985's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
Yes exactly. That's how all my tanks are set up. The fish much prefer that kind of a current versus the crazy stuff you get when the water flow is directed straight into the glass.
done it n my fish are alot more calm swimming around now :)
Joe1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My DIY Internal sand filter Marginatus DIY Aquarium 5 06-18-2011 11:44 AM
Internal Filter Mike037 Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 2 05-08-2008 11:42 PM
Which internal filter? ron4th Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 1 11-30-2007 12:08 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 PM.