I have a Siamese Algae Eater. In my reading I've found that they're not really picky about food. However, he doesn't seem to be eating much of anything that I drop into the water. .. not even algae wafers. Unless he's just sneaky and finds the "debris" later after I walk away.
I didn't really have an algae problem when I got him, but I had read about them beforehand.
I do see him all the time doing the regular algae eater thing: "licking" surfaces.
Meh. Should I assume he's getting enough of whatever he needs be it from algae that's growing or from food I supply?