02-26-2011, 05:19 PM
| || |
I'm a beginner!! New tank trouble!
I've always wanted a fish tank so my boyfriend got me a 2.5 gallon for the both of us. We don't have a lot of room to fit a bigger tank until we move in about 2 months. When we get a new place, we're going to get a bigger tank. So in the meantime, we have a 2.5 gallon with a filter & light. We have an orange balloon molly, even though he doesn't look like a balloon, he looks sort of smaller. We have a male fancy tail guppy, and a whitecloud minnow who is soooo small. Also, 2 ghost shrimp for the bottom of the tank. I have the tank nicely decorated. The fish swim around actively, and look like they love the tank. The molly chases the guppy around sometimes.. I think he feels like he wants to own the tank lol. Anyways, I ran the filter for 4 days and then added the molly and guppy in. Then I waited a few more days and added the whitecloud. I used tap water but used water conditioner before I put the water in there. I went to get my ammonia checked and it was a little high, so I did a 50% water change, a 40% water change, and about a 20% water change. I changed the filter out also which I found out was wrong because that grows good bacteria. The filter that I have in now has been in there for 2 weeks though. I waited a few days and checked it again and it was still a little high but lower than it was. I did another water change, and I put in Stability by Saechem.. it's supposed to break down ammonia. I waited 4 days and didn't do any water changes because I wanted to see if the Stability would drop the ammonia level. Well, I checked it today and it was extremely high. I did a 50% water change and did not add any Stability. What is going on?!?!? I feed them once a day, either blood worms or tropical flakes. Sometimes when I move the gravel around stuff comes up, but when I feed them, I make sure they eat it all and no food ever falls to the bottom. Is my filter not working correctly? Isn't it supposed to suck up all the waste and extra food? It probably is working right though because there's only 1 way to hook it up, and I have a stream of water coming down, so. Maybe the molly is just too big of a fish for that tank... maybe he pees and poops a lot, I don't know. Maybe if I take the molly out the ammonia will go down? Please let me know if I'm doing everything I can. Here is a couple of pictures of my tank and my cute little fishies!