I need an algae eater! - Page 3 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 57 Old 02-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Member
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPoison View Post
There is NO ripping out plants and redecorating in my tank. lol! Frontosas were the worst! So you are saying that don't really need driftwood?

Tell me ~ does the signs on the tanks of the plecos actually state "common" I am making a list of all of everyone's suggestions.

Would you QT these lil guys?
Regardless of the source, quarantine for a month. Treating sick fish in a planted tank is going to be a PITA if you don't take precautions.

Sent from my desktop or phone or whatever else I am holding on to

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=48&dateline=125741997  2
I'm ready for the pressure.
The drama and the pleasure!
If there is one thing I want to see here, it's HUMOR.
I believe I can fly!
I believe I can touch the sky!
I think about it every night and day!
I stand in awe of my body.
Lupin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 57 Old 02-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Gold Member
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
Treating sick fish in a planted tank is going to be a PITA if you don't take precautions.
Don't worry, Lupin. It's not a planted tank, she's a FAKIE!!

I have Malaysian driftwood in all my tanks and none of my tanks have tea colored water. When I first purchased the wood, I boiled it, and maybe for the first few weeks the water was a little tea colored but after a few water changes it was gone. In a tank as large as yours I think a few nice pieces of driftwood would look really nice. One can't have nothing but plastic plants, you know.

(Marie, I have no idea why I like to yank your chain, but I do. It's all in good fun, but I know you know this! )

If you don't stand up for something you'll fall for anything...
aunt kymmie is offline  
post #23 of 57 Old 02-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Member
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
Don't worry, Lupin. It's not a planted tank, she's a FAKIE!!

I have Malaysian driftwood in all my tanks and none of my tanks have tea colored water. When I first purchased the wood, I boiled it, and maybe for the first few weeks the water was a little tea colored but after a few water changes it was gone. In a tank as large as yours I think a few nice pieces of driftwood would look really nice. One can't have nothing but plastic plants, you know.

(Marie, I have no idea why I like to yank your chain, but I do. It's all in good fun, but I know you know this! )
Aye mama...I have blonde moments from time to time.

Sent from my desktop or phone or whatever else I am holding on to

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=48&dateline=125741997  2
I'm ready for the pressure.
The drama and the pleasure!
If there is one thing I want to see here, it's HUMOR.
I believe I can fly!
I believe I can touch the sky!
I think about it every night and day!
I stand in awe of my body.
Lupin is offline  
post #24 of 57 Old 02-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Gold Member
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
Aye mama...I have blonde moments from time to time.
LOL, didn't you also do some funky highliting once??

Marie, on the other hand, I think doesn't have any blonde moments, other than to try to open a car door that has no handle!

(Sheesh, Marie, did you have any idea your wanting some ideas for algae eaters would lead to all this?? lol)

I think you ought to go with at least a baby bristle, many LFS have them as cute little babies and they are so fun to watch grow. I've got two of the albino versions. The first one was so fun watching grow I had to get a second one!

If you don't stand up for something you'll fall for anything...
aunt kymmie is offline  
post #25 of 57 Old 02-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Member
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
LOL, didn't you also do some funky highliting once??

Marie, on the other hand, I think doesn't have any blonde moments, other than to try to open a car door that has no handle!

(Sheesh, Marie, did you have any idea your wanting some ideas for algae eaters would lead to all this?? lol)

I think you ought to go with at least a baby bristle, many LFS have them as cute little babies and they are so fun to watch grow. I've got two of the albino versions. The first one was so fun watching grow I had to get a second one!
I haven't tried full blonde honestly and I'm afraid to try it and end up not looking right with it at all. I did try highlights once. Haha! But I prefer to keep my hair dark red.

LMAO! I had no idea where this thread would be going but you're capable of doing this, Kym.

I forgot I no longer keep driftwoods in my goldfish tank as I didn't want to risk my goldfish grazing themselves on the woods but the 5-year old BN pleco is fine without it.

Sent from my desktop or phone or whatever else I am holding on to

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=48&dateline=125741997  2
I'm ready for the pressure.
The drama and the pleasure!
If there is one thing I want to see here, it's HUMOR.
I believe I can fly!
I believe I can touch the sky!
I think about it every night and day!
I stand in awe of my body.
Lupin is offline  
post #26 of 57 Old 02-09-2011, 12:11 AM
Gold Member
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
I haven't tried full blonde honestly and I'm afraid to try it and end up not looking right with it at all. I did try highlights once. Haha! But I prefer to keep my hair dark red.

LMAO! I had no idea where this thread would be going but you're capable of doing this, Kym.

I forgot I no longer keep driftwoods in my goldfish tank as I didn't want to risk my goldfish grazing themselves on the woods but the 5-year old BN pleco is fine without it.
Dark red? One can't make a statement like this without posting pics!!

Marie, where the heck are you? We need your input, you're just as capable as me, as far as a thread going west when it started out east!
I found some great pieces of Malaysian driftwood on craigslist, you can do the same.

If you don't stand up for something you'll fall for anything...
aunt kymmie is offline  
post #27 of 57 Old 02-09-2011, 12:14 AM
Member
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
Dark red? One can't make a statement like this without posting pics!!

Marie, where the heck are you? We need your input, your just as capable as me, as far as a thread going west when it started out east!
I started dark red last December. Had a recent hair cut so the red streaks cannot be seen much anymore. I'll have to get a new dye and post new pics.

If someone thinks we're offtopic already, you ladies are to be blamed for this.

Sent from my desktop or phone or whatever else I am holding on to

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=48&dateline=125741997  2
I'm ready for the pressure.
The drama and the pleasure!
If there is one thing I want to see here, it's HUMOR.
I believe I can fly!
I believe I can touch the sky!
I think about it every night and day!
I stand in awe of my body.
Lupin is offline  
post #28 of 57 Old 02-09-2011, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
SweetPoison's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post

If someone thinks we're offtopic already, you ladies are to be blamed for this.
Not Me!!

It is all Kym's fault!

Yes, Kym ~ I know you are just teasing! I love this place! Thanks everyone for all the wonderful advice and fun!

I always QT. But I always try to look for a way out too!!

_______________________
~ Marie ~


125 gallon ~ fake plants I'm a "fakie") ( thanks, Kym

3 Neon Tetras
13 Rummy Nose Tetras
2 Swordtails
6 Rasporas


QT: ( 2.20 )

4 Roseline Sharks
1 Black Mollies
SweetPoison is offline  
post #29 of 57 Old 02-09-2011, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
SweetPoison's Avatar
 
Hey Guys ~

I was thinking when I do go and get new wet pets, to get my one or two black Angels, some of those Plecos, and a few other wet pets.

The idea is to get lots more so I can set up the 20 gal for ALL of them at one time. I don't want to set up that tank for one pleco! So they will all be in QT together.....

What do you think?

_______________________
~ Marie ~


125 gallon ~ fake plants I'm a "fakie") ( thanks, Kym

3 Neon Tetras
13 Rummy Nose Tetras
2 Swordtails
6 Rasporas


QT: ( 2.20 )

4 Roseline Sharks
1 Black Mollies
SweetPoison is offline  
post #30 of 57 Old 02-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Gold Member
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPoison View Post
Hey Guys ~

I was thinking when I do go and get new wet pets, to get my one or two black Angels, some of those Plecos, and a few other wet pets.

The idea is to get lots more so I can set up the 20 gal for ALL of them at one time. I don't want to set up that tank for one pleco! So they will all be in QT together.....

What do you think?
Hum...I'd say depends on the size of the angels. Two good size angels, and pleco and a few other wet pets sounds like it's going to be really crowded in that 20. Overcrowding causes for some considerable stress on many fish. Then again, they are coming from the LFS where they were already, most likely, in crowded conditions. Also, If you get just two angels you are running into most likely having problems with serious bickering, when they are in the big 125 tank and start maturing. The smart thing is to start off with a shoal, in a tank your size you could do at least five. Angels are much like discus, as far as only keeping two. Never good as it's not spreading out the cichlid aggression. One will always end up picking on the other, the bully stressing the heck out of the other one. If you end up with a mated pair of angels, that pair will attack the other angels, at that point you'd return the others and keep the pair. It's what I would do, if I was planning on keeping Angels.

Also, if it were me (and we know it's not) I wouldn't hesitate to QT five angels (quarter size) along with a baby pleco in a 20gl.

Hope work is going better for you today. Repeat after me: "I love my job, I love me job"

If you don't stand up for something you'll fall for anything...
aunt kymmie is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need ID, Possible Algae Eater?? marzipanquinn Freshwater and Tropical Fish 8 01-21-2010 05:30 PM
Algae eater Discusgirl18 Freshwater and Tropical Fish 13 01-21-2009 04:14 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome