How much does dwarf gourami eat? I didn't feed it 1 day and they die... why is that?
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » How much does dwarf gourami eat? I didn't feed it 1 day and they die... why is that?

How much does dwarf gourami eat? I didn't feed it 1 day and they die... why is that?

This is a discussion on How much does dwarf gourami eat? I didn't feed it 1 day and they die... why is that? within the Freshwater and Tropical Fish forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> How much does dwarf gourami eat? I didn't feed it 1 day and they die... why is that?...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Schwartz Cory
Schwartz Cory
Eyespot Gourami
Eyespot Gourami
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
How much does dwarf gourami eat? I didn't feed it 1 day and they die... why is that?
Old 03-22-2013, 04:37 AM   #1
 
How much does dwarf gourami eat? I didn't feed it 1 day and they die... why is that?

How much does dwarf gourami eat? I didn't feed it 1 day and they die... why is that?
Nuttawet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:09 AM   #2
 
redchigh's Avatar
 
It wasn't the lack of food, only a coincidence. I've gone 3 days without feeding mine before.

We need more information.

Tank size? Age? Any other fish?
redchigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:54 AM   #3
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
It takes several months for a fish to starve to death.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by redchigh View Post
It wasn't the lack of food, only a coincidence. I've gone 3 days without feeding mine before.

We need more information.

Tank size? Age? Any other fish?
3 days without feeding if you do that often the dwarf gourami will die.
Nuttawet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Nawh, fish are cold blooded, so their systems work a little different than ours. They need a lot less energy since they don't have to heat themselves (mammals and birds spend a ridiculous amount of energy keeping themselves warm).
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
 
DragonFyre14's Avatar
 
I'm not sure. My dwarf doesn't seem to eat too much. Of course he does have to fend off some hungry guppies in order to get food.... Either way he seems to be thriving. I agree I find it hard to believe that he died after one day of no food (meaning it was most likely a coincidence)
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttawet View Post
3 days without feeding if you do that often the dwarf gourami will die.
That is my experience. I have gotten about 20 dwarf gouramis count together in my life and all of them die from Dietary Deficiency now i have 5 and they do okay now.

Tip is: Feed dwarf gourami everyday!
Nuttawet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Nawh, fish are cold blooded, so their systems work a little different than ours. They need a lot less energy since they don't have to heat themselves (mammals and birds spend a ridiculous amount of energy keeping themselves warm).
That is correct. Cold blooded animals do not burn calories maintaining their body temperature, and so they use considerably less calories.


Nuttawet - I'm not exactly sure what to make of your post.... Sounds like you've killed 20 dwarf gouramis because you refused to provide them with a proper diet?? How did you determine that they died from dietary deficiency?
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #9
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
That is correct. Cold blooded animals do not burn calories maintaining their body temperature, and so they use considerably less calories.


Nuttawet - I'm not exactly sure what to make of your post.... Sounds like you've killed 20 dwarf gouramis because you refused to provide them with a proper diet?? How did you determine that they died from dietary deficiency?
Look at their stomach if it is not swell.... I fed alot of bloodworms and they eat all in 10 minutes if i don't feed they die....
Nuttawet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #10
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttawet View Post
That is my experience. I have gotten about 20 dwarf gouramis count together in my life and all of them die from Dietary Deficiency now i have 5 and they do okay now.
So I have it right - You have killed 20 dwarf gouramis because you refused to provide them a proper diet?

Seems to me that you've either had THE WORST luck keeping DGs, or you shouldn't be keeping DGs. In any case, your experience is far from the norm, especially considering your track record. While your fish might perpetually be a few meals away from death, that's not how normal fish live.

You cannot determine a dietary deficiency by simply looking at the stomach. A swollen stomach is not any better of a sign of good health than a concave stomach.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do feed dwarf gourami fry? redchigh Fish Breeding 3 10-16-2012 09:54 PM
Difference between Dwarf Honey Gourami, Honey gourami, and Dwarf Flame Gourami fishysrfun Anabantids 2 08-17-2012 06:25 PM
Dwarf Gourami / Powder Blue Gourami / Red Gourami are they all same? Nuttawet Freshwater and Tropical Fish 2 08-27-2009 04:32 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 AM.