How many fish in a 20 gallon? - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-08-2012, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Spongeycrab's Avatar
 
How many fish in a 20 gallon?

What I have/want:

5 Zebra Danios

1 Unknown Platie

1 Neon Swordtail

1 Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami

5 Neon tetras

5 Glowlight tetras

1 Dalmation Mollie

One more 1-3 inch fish

really need some help!
Spongeycrab is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 08-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Member
 
eaturbyfill's Avatar
 
I would recommend 6-8 Neon Tetras, 6-8 Glowlight Tetras, and one or two other fish. I'd be afraid the Danios might stress out the Tetras, as I've heard they are very, very active. Mollies do better in a little bit bigger tank.

Basically, schooling fish like groups of 6+. I'd only put 2 schools in a 20g, and one or two "centerpiece fish" (like the Gourami).

You will always be my best friend, .
eaturbyfill is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to eaturbyfill For This Useful Post:
Spongeycrab (08-08-2012)
post #3 of 9 Old 08-08-2012, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Spongeycrab's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaturbyfill View Post
I would recommend 6-8 Neon Tetras, 6-8 Glowlight Tetras, and one or two other fish. I'd be afraid the Danios might stress out the Tetras, as I've heard they are very, very active. Mollies do better in a little bit bigger tank.

Basically, schooling fish like groups of 6+. I'd only put 2 schools in a 20g, and one or two "centerpiece fish" (like the Gourami).
Aww shoot! I'm sorry my tank is a 29 gallon not 20 gallon

oh and I already have the sword platie and danios.


"A face only a mother could love"

Last edited by Spongeycrab; 08-08-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Spongeycrab is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 08-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Member
 
thekoimaiden's Avatar
 
The schooling/shoaling fish which are the zebra danio, neon tetra, and glowlight tetra need to be in groups of 6 or more (click on the shaded name to learn more). They will have better color and be more active.

Personally, with three schools of mid-swimming fish this tank sounds like it will be a bit cramped. I have this exact same tank, and I went with one large school of mid-swimming fish (11 cardinal tetra), one school of substrate fish (10 kuhli loach), and one centerpiece fish (thicklips gourami). You could do two schools of about 6 fish each, but three is too many.

Since you already have the danio, get one or two more to bring the school up to an acceptable size and decide whether you want the neons or the glowlights (personally I would go with glowlights as they are a much hardier fish; neons have a history of disease). I wouldn't add the gourami because they don't do well with active fish like danio. They are also likely to bring in a deadly disease known as the dwarf gourami iridovirus; there is no cure for it.

---Izzy

Sitting by the koi pond

writings on fish and fishkeeping


thekoimaiden is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 08-08-2012, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Spongeycrab's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
The schooling/shoaling fish which are the zebra danio, neon tetra, and glowlight tetra need to be in groups of 6 or more (click on the shaded name to learn more). They will have better color and be more active.

Personally, with three schools of mid-swimming fish this tank sounds like it will be a bit cramped. I have this exact same tank, and I went with one large school of mid-swimming fish (11 cardinal tetra), one school of substrate fish (10 kuhli loach), and one centerpiece fish (thicklips gourami). You could do two schools of about 6 fish each, but three is too many.

Since you already have the danio, get one or two more to bring the school up to an acceptable size and decide whether you want the neons or the glowlights (personally I would go with glowlights as they are a much hardier fish; neons have a history of disease). I wouldn't add the gourami because they don't do well with active fish like danio. They are also likely to bring in a deadly disease known as the dwarf gourami iridovirus; there is no cure for it.
thank you what about the dalmation and 2-3 inch fish?


"A face only a mother could love"
Spongeycrab is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 08-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Member
 
thekoimaiden's Avatar
 
You could add the dalmation molly but another fish will be crowding it a bit much. Why not look into some substrate fish like cory cats or kuhli loach?

---Izzy

Sitting by the koi pond

writings on fish and fishkeeping


thekoimaiden is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 08-08-2012, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Spongeycrab's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
You could add the dalmation molly but another fish will be crowding it a bit much. Why not look into some substrate fish like cory cats or kuhli loach?
thanks!


"A face only a mother could love"
Spongeycrab is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 08-08-2012, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Spongeycrab's Avatar
 
can I get 3 glowlight tetras and 3 neon tetras, or do I need more together in a tank?


"A face only a mother could love"
Spongeycrab is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 08-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Member
 
thekoimaiden's Avatar
 
You need at least 6 of each tetra species in a tank. So if you want one neon you have to get 6. It's this way with all of the small species.

---Izzy

Sitting by the koi pond

writings on fish and fishkeeping


thekoimaiden is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ten Gallon Planted without Fish/Golden Gourami 25 Gallon Andarial Freshwater Journals 7 06-23-2012 10:23 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome