04-25-2012, 10:25 AM
| || |
Originally Posted by txO4
I bought some 'mystery snails' to rid my tank of algae, as my pleco could not keep it clean by his lonesome. After a couple days I noticed a significant reduction of algae. Those little buggers sure can eat!
Plecos only eat algae when young is why.
You could clean the tank, then just not feed them for a day to let them calm down. Only put in what food they'll eat in less than 5 minutes. Anymore, and you will contribute to the problem you are seeing. Brown algae as said can easily be cleaned off with a glass safe sponge (if your tank is acrylic, make sure the sponge is safe for it or you'll scratch it up).
Live plants, and reducing the duration your lights are one can help too. The plants will use up nutrients before algae can get to it, but if they run out of something and stop/slow photosynthesis algae takes advantage, that is why you need the light in balance with the nutrients.