Help. I'm having an allergice reaction to my tank!
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Help. I'm having an allergice reaction to my tank!

Help. I'm having an allergice reaction to my tank!

This is a discussion on Help. I'm having an allergice reaction to my tank! within the Freshwater and Tropical Fish forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> This is odd. I installed a new thermometer and new mag cleaner on my tank tonight. Admittedly I've been bad and haven't been in ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Reticulated Cory
Reticulated Cory
Burmese Loach
Burmese Loach
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Help. I'm having an allergice reaction to my tank!
Old 07-15-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
 
rgs1975's Avatar
 
Help. I'm having an allergic reaction to my tank!

This is odd.

I installed a new thermometer and new mag cleaner on my tank tonight. Admittedly I've been bad and haven't been in the tank for quite some time (except for a couple seconds a day to feed). Today I also did a levels test. So I was with the open tank for a while tonight. About 5 minutes into the work I noticed I was starting to have an allergic reaction to something in the tank. Algae has begun growing on the underside of the hood, but it's not very prevelant inside the tank. I was exposed to algae, fish flake, freeze dried bloodworms and the water in the tank. No idea what is causing the allergies. My breathing is labored and I can feel my larynx tightening up, kind of have a bit of a wheeze like an asthmatic would. It's pretty damn uncomfortable. Any ideas?

Here are my levels which don't seem good. I've only used the paper test strips in the past. This time I used the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. All my fish seem happy and healthy and have been in the tank for a long time.

pH: 6
High pH: 7.4
Nitrate: 160
Nitrite: .50
Ammonia: .25
Temperature: 76 F

Last edited by rgs1975; 07-15-2009 at 09:33 PM..
rgs1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
 
rgs1975's Avatar
 
Here's a photo of the crazy algae growing under the hood, outside of the water.

rgs1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
 
Twistersmom's Avatar
 
Wow! That is a lot of algae!
Looks like you have some cleaning up and water changes to do.

A lot of people are allergic to bloodworms. Might want to stay away from them just in case.
Twistersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #4
 
rgs1975's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistersmom View Post
A lot of people are allergic to bloodworms. Might want to stay away from them just in case.
All of my fish LOVE the bloodworms. Do you know of an appropriate substitute?
rgs1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
 
Twistersmom's Avatar
 
Maybe if you just don't handle them and wash your hand after feeding, it would be ok. Not allergic myself, so I would have to do some reading up on the subject.
My fish also enjoy shrimp, krill, and live blackworms, but bloodworms is one of there favorites.
Twistersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs1975 View Post
All of my fish LOVE the bloodworms. Do you know of an appropriate substitute?
I have the allergy to bloodworms (the frozen and even the freeze-dried), but I feed them every evening because I have some wild SA fish that will eat nothing else (frozen bloodworms are the only non-live food they will take). I usually get by but sometimes if I accidentally smell them I sneeze a bit. If I happen to touch them I get a rash and itch, and my eyes run...quite a mess.

Avoid direct contact with your hands, and try not to inhale the smell. I use the Hakari cubes and pop one into a sauce dish, add some hot water to melt the ice, then use a syphon to squirt the thawed bloodworms into the tank. [I have to direct it at certain catfish that remain hidden in the bogwood to ensure they get fed.] Keep it at a distance from your nose. Sounds funny I know, but this usually works.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
 
how about daphina
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
 
rgs1975's Avatar
 
Thanks everyone :)

I donated all of my bloodworms today to a friend of mine that enjoys the hobby as well and doesn't suffer from the dreaded allergy.

Last night I did a monumental anti-algae cleaning and a PWC of about 85%. I ended up spending hours on the tank getting it back into tip top condition. I'll take some readings tonight and post them, they should show a difference.....hopefully.
rgs1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
 
rgs1975's Avatar
 
I posted the new test results in this new thread -----> http://www.fishforum.com/freshwater-...03/#post215890
rgs1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
adverse reaction to melafix??? molliefan09 Cichlids 8 01-10-2010 09:10 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 PM.