A guby aquarium for starter - Page 11
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » A guby aquarium for starter

A guby aquarium for starter

This is a discussion on A guby aquarium for starter within the Freshwater and Tropical Fish forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> beware, walmart sometimes sells seeds for aquatic plants that are bog plants and those die after 2-6 months if fully submerged. Petsmart and petco ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Blue Gourami
Blue Gourami
Pepper Cory
Pepper Cory
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
A guby aquarium for starter
Old 06-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #101
 
beware, walmart sometimes sells seeds for aquatic plants that are bog plants and those die after 2-6 months if fully submerged. Petsmart and petco also sell plants like that too. its gets gross and mushy. Are you talking about the light bulb from that lamp? cuz thats not how wattage for your tank works... The way ur lamp is set up wont put all the wattage into ur tank. From the picture before id say u got less than .4 watts per gallon with that lamp. You will need a proper hood that dedicated most of its light to the tank.

I hate to be a pessimist and rain on your parade but its gonna take a bit more moeny and research on your part to really get your tank off the ground. how are your water parameters?
SinCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #102
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCrisis View Post
beware, walmart sometimes sells seeds for aquatic plants that are bog plants and those die after 2-6 months if fully submerged. Petsmart and petco also sell plants like that too. its gets gross and mushy. Are you talking about the light bulb from that lamp? cuz thats not how wattage for your tank works... The way ur lamp is set up wont put all the wattage into ur tank. From the picture before id say u got less than .4 watts per gallon with that lamp. You will need a proper hood that dedicated most of its light to the tank.

I hate to be a pessimist and rain on your parade but its gonna take a bit more moeny and research on your part to really get your tank off the ground. how are your water parameters?
T.T my cabomba died! Imma get a hood with proper lights once i have money.

I test my water today, its progressing.

PH 8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 5
Nitrate 5

How long do u guys think until i get my tank cycled?
Nephelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #103
 
a bit longer, certainly getting there though. I believe the gouramis are hardy enough to put in if you were still getting those sparkling gouramis. They may be stressed a little but i feel like your very excited about ctually stocking your tank. One other note, i beleive gouramis, like bettas breathe air, so just an interesting fact.
SinCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:34 AM   #104
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCrisis View Post
a bit longer, certainly getting there though. I believe the gouramis are hardy enough to put in if you were still getting those sparkling gouramis. They may be stressed a little but i feel like your very excited about ctually stocking your tank. One other note, i beleive gouramis, like bettas breathe air, so just an interesting fact.

Yup, im very excited and can't wait to stock my tank but i can be patient. I just wait till my tank cycled then i get the fish. Do i add all the fish in the same day or the first 3 in the first day and the last 3 in the 2nd day?
Nephelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:49 AM   #105
 
Byron's Avatar
 
The mention of sparkling gouramis causd me to check back through the posts and I note these fish, guppies, shrimp and maybe an otto mentioned. I believe others on this forum have indicated shrimp are OK in new tanks, and once cycled you'll have no problem with guppies (if you get a female watch out, they are livebearers and you will have babies by the dozens and females can be impregnated very early). But the sparkling gouramis are delicate (I've kept them, very lovely fish) so I wouldn't add them until the tank is not only cycled but matured (after 3 months). Same for the otto, they frequently die in new tanks. Also, they are shoaling fish and will always fare better (more likely to adjust and live) if kept in a small group; 3 or more is best. But they need algae on which to graze, especially when first introduced into a tank; without it ottos seem to die off.

When you're ready to add fish, do it slowly. For example, the three guppies one day, wait a few days, then add say a pair of sparkling gouramis, wait a few days, etc. Once the tank is "cycled" it is cycled for what is in it now, that is, the level of ammonia being produced each day. The nitrosomonas bacteria live in the number required to consume the ammonia, then the nitrobacter bacteria do the same for the level of nitrite. Without ammonia (or nitrite) the bacteria will die off, and if more ammonia is introduced, they multiply to handle it, but not immediately. In a biologically established aquarium (one that is "matured" after a few months), new ammonia (from new fish, dying plant matter, a dead fish, overfeeding) can be handled if the increase is not great so the bacteria have time to multiply accordingly. But having too much ammonia added at once will cause a mini-cycle and stress the fish.

One more thought on the sparkling gouramis, they love plants. I can't remember if plants were mentioned in this thread (10 pages of posts is a lot to sift through) but they would be good in a tank with these little gems, and the more plants the better they feel as they are timid by nature. Also, keep the tank well covered; they breathe air as someone mentioned, and the air should be kept warm and moist which will occur with a normal tank cover.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:46 AM   #106
 
oh i didnt know sparkling gouramis were delicate... Ive never had them before but ive had other gouramis and never had any problems introducing them a couple of days ahead of the end of my cycle. Anyway, hood and cover should be among the first things you want to buy on your shopping list. Again i would recommend agains thte oto since they dont really do well singularly. Shrimp are excellent, lots of fun to watch and small bioload. But question what has become of your snail problem? Were you able to get rid of them or did you decide on keeping them?
SinCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #107
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCrisis View Post
oh i didnt know sparkling gouramis were delicate... Ive never had them before but ive had other gouramis and never had any problems introducing them a couple of days ahead of the end of my cycle. Anyway, hood and cover should be among the first things you want to buy on your shopping list. Again i would recommend agains thte oto since they dont really do well singularly. Shrimp are excellent, lots of fun to watch and small bioload. But question what has become of your snail problem? Were you able to get rid of them or did you decide on keeping them?

No more snails, i took out the drift wood and threw em away so no snails in my tank. Yeah, i probably getting a hood and a light in a few days. Any1 know the cost for these, cause im kinda having a little financial crisis rite now. I need to do some calculations with wat i'll buy.

Last edited by Nephelie; 06-09-2009 at 04:44 PM..
Nephelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #108
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
The mention of sparkling gouramis causd me to check back through the posts and I note these fish, guppies, shrimp and maybe an otto mentioned. I believe others on this forum have indicated shrimp are OK in new tanks, and once cycled you'll have no problem with guppies (if you get a female watch out, they are livebearers and you will have babies by the dozens and females can be impregnated very early). But the sparkling gouramis are delicate (I've kept them, very lovely fish) so I wouldn't add them until the tank is not only cycled but matured (after 3 months). Same for the otto, they frequently die in new tanks. Also, they are shoaling fish and will always fare better (more likely to adjust and live) if kept in a small group; 3 or more is best. But they need algae on which to graze, especially when first introduced into a tank; without it ottos seem to die off.

When you're ready to add fish, do it slowly. For example, the three guppies one day, wait a few days, then add say a pair of sparkling gouramis, wait a few days, etc. Once the tank is "cycled" it is cycled for what is in it now, that is, the level of ammonia being produced each day. The nitrosomonas bacteria live in the number required to consume the ammonia, then the nitrobacter bacteria do the same for the level of nitrite. Without ammonia (or nitrite) the bacteria will die off, and if more ammonia is introduced, they multiply to handle it, but not immediately. In a biologically established aquarium (one that is "matured" after a few months), new ammonia (from new fish, dying plant matter, a dead fish, overfeeding) can be handled if the increase is not great so the bacteria have time to multiply accordingly. But having too much ammonia added at once will cause a mini-cycle and stress the fish.

One more thought on the sparkling gouramis, they love plants. I can't remember if plants were mentioned in this thread (10 pages of posts is a lot to sift through) but they would be good in a tank with these little gems, and the more plants the better they feel as they are timid by nature. Also, keep the tank well covered; they breathe air as someone mentioned, and the air should be kept warm and moist which will occur with a normal tank cover.
any suggestion on what easy plants i should keep in my tank?
Nephelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #109
 
java moss or java fern for now. Nothing fancy till later when you have a proper light as for hoods, just look around on Pet Supplies | Dog & Cat Supplies, Pet Meds | DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Products or look at your local petco if they have any
SinCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #110
 
Byron's Avatar
 
I second SinCrisis. Without a proper full spectrum fluorescent light, you won't have any luck with plants. But Java Fern and Java Moss do seem to survive in anything. But get the light and plants before you buy the gouramis; fish will always settle in better to new surroundings that are more to their liking and the plants will make them feel "secure".
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Possible Saltwater Starter Here Fishfreak55 Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 2 04-04-2008 12:20 PM
Tank starter kit?? Brandon Saltwater Aquarium Equipment 11 12-31-2006 10:06 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 AM.