Can I add 9 fish at once?
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Can I add 9 fish at once?

Can I add 9 fish at once?

This is a discussion on Can I add 9 fish at once? within the Freshwater and Tropical Fish forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> I know there is a general rule to adding no more than 3 fish at once (per week), but are there exceptions? I want ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Green Neon Tetra
Green Neon Tetra
Chocolate Gourami
Chocolate Gourami
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Can I add 9 fish at once?
Old 10-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
 
Can I add 9 fish at once?

I know there is a general rule to adding no more than 3 fish at once (per week), but are there exceptions? I want to have a total of either 7 or 9 Rummynose Tetras in my tank. Does that mean I have to add 3 each week for 3 weeks if I wanted 9? Or could I add them all at once? Thanks! :)
JordynMurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
 
Jbrofish8's Avatar
 
Is your tank heavily planted?

I added 8 rummynose to my heavily planted tank and I didnt lose 1 of them. I think as long as your tank has enough plants to assimilate the ammonia from these fish, you should be fine.
Jbrofish8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
 
If your still using the 29g my worry would be that you are adding alot of bio load (fish waste and co2) at once. This could drastically affect your water parameters. It can be done but you will need to monitor your water very close, and may need to do daily water changes for a week or so until things balance out.

An ammonia spike shortly after adding new fish could really be bad for them.
guppy371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrofish8 View Post
Is your tank heavily planted?

I added 8 rummynose to my heavily planted tank and I didnt lose 1 of them. I think as long as your tank has enough plants to assimilate the ammonia from these fish, you should be fine.
Well all of my plants are artificial so I don't think they would do anything to the ammonia levels. I assume you were talking about live plants. So with artificial plants like I have, should I stick to adding them in small numbers?
JordynMurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Most of these "general rules" are best forgotten. I've not heard this one before. But the biology of each aquarium is different, and this is solely what determines this.

Live plants would as Jbrofish8 mentioned eliminate any issues with adding fish (within reason, i.e., not overloading the tank's limit). Without live plants, the next question is how long the tank has been running; a new tank will have minimal nitrifying bacteria, whereas an established tank has a more mature and established biological system that can absorb more without detriment. Third, your pH has a role in this; in acidic water there will be no ammonia issues.

In your case, I would add the rummys at once. Monitor the ammonia, be prepared to do a 50% water change. Using a conditioner that detoxifies ammonia and nitrite in such situations is also beneficial. Prime and Ultimate do both.

With the mentioned fish, live plants should be considered. Even something as simple as floating plants will make quite a difference to the water quality, and perhaps equally importantly, the fish. These forest fish always are more relaxed with a "roof" over them.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:
Eraserhead (10-16-2011)
Old 10-16-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
 
Plus 1 on the above mentioned.

The only problem I see with adding that many fish is that if you would have a bunch of different species, but of if they are the same species of fish then there hierarchy has already been worked out in the tank you have gotten them from.

I'm not a big fan on the smaller aquariums; I'm willing to leave the smaller aquariums to the more experienced hobbyist. The equalibrium changes to fast and one would have to pay much, much, closer attention to your pet fish.

If I read correctly, you want 14 fish in your 29 gallon aquarium. You have grossly overstocked your aquarium.
trombonedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trombonedemon View Post
Plus 1 on the above mentioned.

The only problem I see with adding that many fish is that if you would have a bunch of different species, but of if they are the same species of fish then there hierarchy has already been worked out in the tank you have gotten them from.

I'm not a big fan on the smaller aquariums; I'm willing to leave the smaller aquariums to the more experienced hobbyist. The equalibrium changes to fast and one would have to pay much, much, closer attention to your pet fish.

If I read correctly, you want 14 fish in your 29 gallon aquarium. You have grossly overstocked your aquarium.
"grossly overstocked" is a quite rash thing to state. Seeing that all of the fish I have in my tank grow around 2 inches (rummy noses even smaller), then 14-15 fish in a 29 is just about perfect.

I'm quite aware of the overstocking rules for fish, that is not my question. I also just added some more Cory's today after posting this thread, so I will not be adding 9 Rummy Noses. I am now thinking about 5. Now the issue is if that is enough Rummys (they like bigger groups).

Last edited by JordynMurdock; 10-16-2011 at 08:03 PM..
JordynMurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
 
Jbrofish8's Avatar
 
I think you need at least 8 or 9. They do better in larger groups. You should be fine to get that many even with the extra corys since they occupy different areas of the tank.

I think Byron brings up a good point though. Is this tank cycled and how long has it been set up? Id pick up some floating plants if I were you. They're super easy to grow and the effect it will have on the rummys is so worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Jbrofish8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordynMurdock View Post
"grossly overstocked" is a quite rash thing to state. Seeing that all of the fish I have in my tank grow around 2 inches (rummy noses even smaller), then 14-15 fish in a 29 is just about perfect.

I'm quite aware of the overstocking rules for fish, that is not my question. I also just added some more Cory's today after posting this thread, so I will not be adding 9 Rummy Noses. I am now thinking about 5. Now the issue is if that is enough Rummys (they like bigger groups).
Yea, that is what I was thinking, "rules for fish," the inch per gallon is a joke rule. First, some fish grow larger and others stay the same size for longer periods of time even if they are the same species.

O.k. if you don't mind water changes every other day, then yea 14-15 fish is fine. That many fish belong in at least a 50 gallon tank.

That mistake has already been made by me, first it was a 10 gallon, then I thought 20 gallon tank for like 10 fish was good. Nope. To keep the fish alive until I got the 50 gallon tank, I had to do water change every other day, b/c my fish were constantly crapping every where.

Yea, grossly is still the correct word for 15 fish in a 29 gallon tank. I'm just thinking about the fish.

P.s. My Molly's were supposed to grow only 2 inches, they are now 2 1/2 inches and growing.

Last edited by trombonedemon; 10-16-2011 at 08:20 PM..
trombonedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:21 PM   #10
 
Jbrofish8's Avatar
 
I have 20 fish in my 29g and all is just fine. And I plan on adding 3 more soon.

I change my water once a week and my ammonia and nitrite never move above 0.
Posted via Mobile Device
Jbrofish8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 AM.