Hey there folks.
I recently acquired a 110 gallon high tank - 48x18x30. Big tank. Tall. I'm a big guy, but I still can't touch the bottom.
I've got two possible ways to go with this: Amazon (angelfish centered) or African River Margin (Bichir or Ropefish centered), and i am waffling.
On the one hand, I know pretty well how to set up an Amazon tank.
On the other hand, I haven't heard of many folks doing an African tank that wasn't rift lake cichlids.
Note that regardless of how I do this, there'll be a heaping helping of driftwood, and a ton of plants involved. Filtration will be provided with an Eheim 2229 wet/dry, and an Eheim 2217 or comparable (Should turn the tank over 5 times per hour).
The stock list for the Amazon tank I made up long ago:
- 8 Juvenile silver or Half black angelfish (To be reduced to 4 or 6 as pairs form)
- 1 male and 2 female dwarf sunset platies (for fry production and a dash of color)
- 8 Diamond Tetras (Already have them in my 55 gallon amazon tank - growing out from 3/4" long)
- 8 Silver or Marbled hatchetfish (added last when the tank is stable)
- 5 Callicthys callicthys or Brown Hoplo or Flagtailed Porthole catfish
- 1 Banjo Catfish
- 2 Albino Bristlenosed Plecos (Already have these in my 33 gallon Neon Tetra tank)
- 1 Gold Nugget Pleco
If I were to go toward the African tank, the stocking would start here:
- 8 to 12 Congo Tetras
- 2 African Butterfly Fish
- 1 Male & 3 Female Swordtails (green if I can get them, red wag or Pineapple if not)
- 3 Leopard Bushfish
Then I would need to make some decisions (I know I can't put all this in there)
- 2 Senegal Bichirs or 2 or 3 Ropefish, or one Bichir and one or two ropefish. Getting a polypteride is is what this tank is really all about.
- One or more African Brown Knifefish or none at all or One or more peacock eels?
- A pair of Kribs or Jewel Cichlids or not?
- Catfish? Some sort of Syno? Do I need a janitorial crew? What about a Bristlenosed Pleco for Algae patrol?
I'd love to do them both, but that's just not going to happen, not in this house (not with this wife).
So what say? Amazon or African? If you said African, (or even if you said Amazon but had 2 cents to kick in) what do you figure for the exact stock on the tank?