Almost time for college! - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-23-2011, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Almost time for college!

Hello there...
So sadly, the time for college is coming and my college doesn't allow tanks over 10g. So I must tear down my 20g because my mom doesn't want the responsibility. Anyways.. To the point. I must get a smaller tank because I don't want to give up fishkeeping, but at the same time I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a 10g and a new filter and all that. I would like to get a small tank most likely 5g or less. I know a beta would work well for that small of a tank, but would anything else work as well? Maybe some kind of pal for the beta (I know they are aggressive, but thought I'd ask). I have cherry barbs and I know they are pretty tough.
My question is... What would work well in a small tank that won't need a whole bunch of maintenance and will get along?

Coral...<3
doppsterjr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 01-24-2011, 12:30 AM
New Member
 
Dwarf Gouramis can be in a 5 gallon. There arent too many other I would keep in a 5.
Lexite is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 01-24-2011, 01:32 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by doppsterjr View Post
Hello there...
So sadly, the time for college is coming and my college doesn't allow tanks over 10g. So I must tear down my 20g because my mom doesn't want the responsibility. Anyways.. To the point. I must get a smaller tank because I don't want to give up fishkeeping, but at the same time I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a 10g and a new filter and all that. I would like to get a small tank most likely 5g or less. I know a beta would work well for that small of a tank, but would anything else work as well? Maybe some kind of pal for the beta (I know they are aggressive, but thought I'd ask). I have cherry barbs and I know they are pretty tough.
My question is... What would work well in a small tank that won't need a whole bunch of maintenance and will get along?
I would buy the ten gal for ten or twelve dollars and use the filter and heater from the 20 gal you take down.
The smaller the volume of water,,the faster water quality can deteriorate and the more maint needed to maintain good water quality in smaller tanks.
No gourami with Betta, and barbs may or may not nip at the fins of the Betta.
Some shrimps may work with the Betta if plenty of plant's or coveris available.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 01-24-2011, 02:02 AM
New Member
 
Why no Gourami with Bettas?
Lexite is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 01-24-2011, 02:16 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexite View Post
Why no Gourami with Bettas?
Both are aggressive and territorial, both frequent the surface where squabbles in small tank could escalate much more so than in larger tank.Even then,, (larger tank)gourami and betta could inflict serious damage to each other should one invade the space of the other.
Male gourami and Betta's are known to be agressive and sometimes Females as well.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 01-24-2011, 03:24 AM
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
Both are aggressive and territorial, both frequent the surface where squabbles in small tank could escalate much more so than in larger tank.Even then,, (larger tank)gourami and betta could inflict serious damage to each other should one invade the space of the other.
Male gourami and Betta's are known to be agressive and sometimes Females as well.
I haven't had issues with dwarfs with my bettas. Large I would never trust though. But the dwarfs I've seen have never been aggressive and my bettas never bother them more then a flair up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Lexite is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 01-24-2011, 05:22 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexite View Post
I haven't had issues with dwarfs with my bettas. Large I would never trust though. But the dwarfs I've seen have never been aggressive and my bettas never bother them more then a flair up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just sharing what may happen when two known territorial fish are confined to small tanks.
Perhaps you are willing to risk it.The info is here,as well as most literature on the species.
Take it or leave it.

P.S. You say you would never trust large fish of the species mentioned? Fish don't stay small , and as they grow, mature,they often become less tolerant of like species.
Perhaps your's have thus far failed to live long enough.
Hell, people still keep goldfish in bowls.Some die quickly,some more slowly.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.

Last edited by 1077; 01-24-2011 at 05:26 AM.
1077 is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 01-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Member
 
Calmwaters's Avatar
 
I like 1077 idea of getting the 10 and then useing things you have in the 20 for the 10 it would save you a lot of money and if you keep the filter and gravel wet it will keep you from haveing to go though the cycle again. Please do not put bettas and gouramis together I had a friend that against my advise got a neon dwarf gourami and a male betta and put them together in a 10 gallon tank they were ok for about 6 months with just the occasional flareing but then one day he came home to a dead betta and a badly beat up gourami that later died I think from the stress and injury.

Kindest Regards,
Amanda

Keeping fish its not a hobby it is a passion!

55 gallon, 44 gallon, one 20 gallon tank, three 10 gallon tanks, and a 2.5 gallon all with real plants.

I have MTS and there is no cure.

Calmwaters is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 01-24-2011, 11:26 AM
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexite View Post
I haven't had issues with dwarfs with my bettas. Large I would never trust though. But the dwarfs I've seen have never been aggressive and my bettas never bother them more then a flair up.
Posted via Mobile Device
When I said large I ment like a Blue gourami who gets to be 5-6 inchers, not a large dwarf that tops at a 2.

I guess I just have nice bettas, Ive never had them attack my other fish or dwarf gouramis or the other way around.
Lexite is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome