Allergic to Bloodworms?!?! - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-09-2010, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Allergic to Bloodworms?!?!

So every couple of weeks my eyes would burn/itch swell shut and my hands would get super itchy to the point where I almost bled from scratching. I had no idea what was causing it until last night when I plopped a frozen cube of bloodworms into my aquarium from my hands. Within minutes I was in a hot shower trying to stop the burning on my hands and eyes.

Anyone allergic to bloodworms? I've never been allergic to anyhting but cats!


-GIL
gilfish is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 01-09-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm not allergic to them but I've heard that if you are allergic to mosquitoes that you need to be careful about handling bloodworms. You might want to wear gloves when handling them.
dramaqueen is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 01-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Member
 
Grimmjow's Avatar
 
There should be a warning on the package, i read somewhere that even if youre not allergic you can become allergic from handling them too much.
Grimmjow is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 01-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
An allergy to bloodworms is more common than some may realize. Hikari now has a warning on the label of their frozen bloodworms about allergic reaction, so presumably there are several out there with this problem.

I happen to have it, and I've known fish store employees who do. If I so much as smell the fumes from the thawed bloodworms, my eyes water and itch and I can go into sneezing fits. I try not to touch them, but if I do I get similar reaction plus itchy rash where I touched them. I also have the same reactions with the freeze-dried bloodworms.

I feed the frozen 3-4 times a week because I have some wild-caught fish that will eat no other prepared food. I try to be careful, and if I can manage to avoid inhaling the fumes I'm usually OK.

DQ, interesting point about the relation to mosquitoes--what exactly is an allergy to mosquitoes like? If I'm bitten, I get an itchy bump but nothing more. I assumed this was common--is there more to an actual allergy?

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 01-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Member
 
LisaC144's Avatar
 
Wow, great post. I feed my fish freeze dried bloodworms every once in a while, and I noticed everytime I do I get an allergic reaction. I don't touch them. I put the amount I want to feed into the lid of the container then into the tank. However, just from inhaling it I go into a sneezing fit, get all stuffed up, and get watery eyes. It's to the point where I rarely ever feed them the bloodworms anymore because I don't want to deal with the allergy attack.
LisaC144 is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 01-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Member
 
Angel079's Avatar
 
Best to do I could think of: take lil 1/4 measuring cup, add tank water, pop a cube from the freezer pack right into the cup, let it thaw out in there and dump into the tank. Frozen foods shouldn't be handed frozen, so that for one would help the fish and doing it this way you have no contact with the stuff on your hands, so hopefully that'll keep ya from breaking out.

~ Life Is Too Short, Break The Rules, Forgive Quickly, Kiss Slowly, Love Truly, Laugh Uncontrollably And Never Regret Anything that Made You Smile.
Life May Not Be The Party We Hoped For, But While We're Here, We Should Dance. ~
Angel079 is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 01-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel079 View Post
Best to do I could think of: take lil 1/4 measuring cup, add tank water, pop a cube from the freezer pack right into the cup, let it thaw out in there and dump into the tank. Frozen foods shouldn't be handed frozen, so that for one would help the fish and doing it this way you have no contact with the stuff on your hands, so hopefully that'll keep ya from breaking out.
GREAT idea!

Pat

ON IOWA! GO HAWKS!
PRichs87 is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 01-10-2010, 05:42 PM
I thought it was like some people being highly allergic to bee stings. I think some people who are allergic to bee stings can go into anaphylactic (sp?) shock. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
dramaqueen is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 01-11-2010, 06:30 AM
Member
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
I've discussed this topic back in 2007 here I think and from time to time across other forums whenever I encounter them. I was also allergic before with bloodworms but it gradually disappeared.

I suffered mild allergic reaction myself when I first handled bloodworms with itchy red hands, neck and chest. Most people suffer anaphalaxis from handling bloodworms alone. Be very careful and check yourself first before you handle anything you've never handled before. Most allergic reactions are quite fatal and can kill you.

As far as the theory of what is causing such reaction, it is still debated around. One theory involves the hemoglobin of the insect larva which can cause your skin to react if it never had initiated a reaction to it before. You don't have to eat or lick the bloodworms to get allergy. A slight touch can cause allergic reactions if your skin is really sensitive to allergens. There is one substance in bloodworms I cannot recall clearly that was found to cause this reaction especially if your skin never encountered that foreign agent before.

It's just something to bear in mind. Be careful what you are handling. If unsure, use gloves before handling an object that you suspect may cause allergic reactions.

Sent from my desktop or phone or whatever else I am holding on to

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=48&dateline=125741997  2
I'm ready for the pressure.
The drama and the pleasure!
If there is one thing I want to see here, it's HUMOR.
I believe I can fly!
I believe I can touch the sky!
I think about it every night and day!
I stand in awe of my body.
Lupin is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 01-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Member
 
iamntbatman's Avatar
 
Sounds pretty serious. Maybe fishkeepers who know themselves to have a bloodworm allergy should look into getting something like an epinephrine pen? I know doctors will give you one if you've got a beesting allergy, for example, so I think something like this would be really good to have on hand.

4 8 15 16 23 42
iamntbatman is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bloodworms? Wallaby Freshwater and Tropical Fish 14 12-12-2008 12:45 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome