8ppm ammonia
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » 8ppm ammonia

8ppm ammonia

This is a discussion on 8ppm ammonia within the Freshwater and Tropical Fish forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Hello, I have a fairly new tank. Fish have been in the tank for about 6 weeks. The tank got cloudy about 2 weeks ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Lemon Tetra
Lemon Tetra
Oto Catfish
Oto Catfish
Reply
Old 07-03-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
 
8ppm ammonia

Hello, I have a fairly new tank. Fish have been in the tank for about 6 weeks. The tank got cloudy about 2 weeks ago and we noticed redness on the bodies of the male guppies. I read it could be ammonia Burns. According to the api test kit the tank is 8 ppm ammonia. I imediatley treated the tank. The tests still keep reading 8 ppm. We had baby guppies born about 5 days ago they are fine and the redness on the males is going away but the tank reads 8 ppm. I noticed in the book it says the ammonia test is for freshwater tanks where salt is added. Does this mean I've been getting false results everytime? We have 2 female guppies 5 male guppies 6 guppy fry a rainbow shark a gorami and 2 ghost shrimp. The only symptom is the red on the males (now only on 2 males). Any advise?
hphillips2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
 
sprmankalel's Avatar
 
Do a 50% water change immediately.

What is happening is your tank is cycling. Something your retailer didn't tell you about probably. NOT your fault. What you need to do is read up on the nitrogen cycle in your aquarium and keep monitoring by testing the water. Use something like Seachem Prime when replacing water.

Don't worry. I don't know anyone, including myself, who didn't start this way and that's how we all ended up here.

This should get you familiar with the cycle.
A Beginner's Guide to the Freshwater Aquarium Cycle

We are here to help so feel free to ask questions. I promise that after the initial shock of setting up it will be very rewarding.

You also forgot to mention what size your tank is.

Last edited by sprmankalel; 07-03-2014 at 08:13 PM..
sprmankalel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:46 AM   #3
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprmankalel View Post
Do a 50% water change immediately.

What is happening is your tank is cycling. Something your retailer didn't tell you about probably. NOT your fault. What you need to do is read up on the nitrogen cycle in your aquarium and keep monitoring by testing the water. Use something like Seachem Prime when replacing water.

Don't worry. I don't know anyone, including myself, who didn't start this way and that's how we all ended up here.

This should get you familiar with the cycle.
A Beginner's Guide to the Freshwater Aquarium Cycle

We are here to help so feel free to ask questions. I promise that after the initial shock of setting up it will be very rewarding.

You also forgot to mention what size your tank is.

My tank is 30 gallons. I did a 50% water change and it still tests at 8ppm. I ran some other tests and determined a 90% water change would bring it to 1ppm. I don't seem to have the bacteria I should in the tank and I don't know why.
Posted via Mobile Device
hphillips2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:46 AM   #4
 
Posted via Mobile Device
hphillips2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #5
 
sprmankalel's Avatar
 
It takes longer for the cycle to complete when you have fish because you are doing constant water changes to keep the fish from dying.

Please respond with the exact brand of test you are using and if it is liquid or strips. Also the details of your tank including substrate, size and number and types of fish. Please test your tap water and post the reading for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as well as the reading for all 3 from your tank.
sprmankalel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:16 AM   #6
 
Also, something to consider, if my sources are accurate, is that when you "treated" the water for high ammonia it doesn't remove it but instead neutralizes it into a less toxic form but will still read on ammonia tests. And like hinted at above, your tap water may contain some ammonia. Another thing I've heard is that some water conditioners have organics in them like aloe which of course break down into, you guessed it, ammonia. Your best bet is to take it slow and do small frequent water changes as needed. Smaller is almost always better so as to prevent drastic changes in water chemistry.
schoch79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:21 AM   #7
 
..
schoch79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #8
 
What is your pH in the tank? Ammonia AND ammonium show up on the API MLTK and it can give "false" readings. Here's a good article on it.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:28 PM   #9
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprmankalel View Post
It takes longer for the cycle to complete when you have fish because you are doing constant water changes to keep the fish from dying.

Please respond with the exact brand of test you are using and if it is liquid or strips. Also the details of your tank including substrate, size and number and types of fish. Please test your tap water and post the reading for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as well as the reading for all 3 from your tank.
I am using API liquid test kit. the numbers, and types of fish are above. My tap water has 0 ammonia. i dont know the levels of the other test for the tap water but the tank is at 0 for nitrite and nirate. Tank still test at 8ppm (highest level on the chart) for ammonia.
hphillips2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:30 PM   #10
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
What is your pH in the tank? Ammonia AND ammonium show up on the API MLTK and it can give "false" readings. Here's a good article on it.
I'm using the API so i suspect thats why my tank is testing at 8ppm still. At this point seriously the fish would be dead especially the baby guppies that are now 1 month old. The tank water is still cloudy. Any idea whats causing that?
hphillips2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ammonia studioskim3 Tropical Fish Diseases 1 03-29-2008 03:02 AM
Help Me Please! Ammonia. then Nitrites now Ammonia again??? CherylGass Tropical Fish Diseases 8 11-06-2007 05:58 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 AM.