7" Japanese Algae Eater - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-01-2012, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
lindarose's Avatar
 
7" Japanese Algae Eater

I have an JAE that is approx. 7 years old and so far has caused no problems in my tank. He will eat the dead fish if I don't get to them soon than he. I've been reading through posts here and most say to get rid of JAE's in a tank, my question; why? After 7 years, can he be a problem if he has not already? Also, he is about 6" long.
Thank you.
lindarose is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 10-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Member
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindarose View Post
I have an JAE that is approx. 7 years old and so far has caused no problems in my tank. He will eat the dead fish if I don't get to them soon than he. I've been reading through posts here and most say to get rid of JAE's in a tank, my question; why? After 7 years, can he be a problem if he has not already? Also, he is about 6" long.
Thank you.
How big is your tank? How often do your fish die, and why? H ow often do you change water?

Consider the needs of your fish before acting on your desires.

Last edited by marshallsea; 10-01-2012 at 03:11 PM.
marshallsea is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 10-01-2012, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
lindarose's Avatar
 
20 gal. the water gets changed monthly along with a new charcoal filter. Fish die rarely. Have had several types of tetras that are just now dying after 7 years. (They also gave birth in the tank : ) Plus, the JAE get fed algae rounds once per week.
lindarose is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 10-01-2012, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
lindarose's Avatar
 
I guess by the reading I just did, he probably is a Siamese Algea eater. He is very skittish and hides in his log most of the day if I'm around,
lindarose is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 10-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Member
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindarose View Post
20 gal. the water gets changed monthly along with a new charcoal filter. Fish die rarely. Have had several types of tetras that are just now dying after 7 years. (They also gave birth in the tank : ) Plus, the JAE get fed algae rounds once per week.
That is a huge JAE! Could you post a pic? I'm sorry that I can't answer your question about the JAE as I have no experience with them but I'm positive others will chime in.

Consider the needs of your fish before acting on your desires.
marshallsea is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 10-01-2012, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
lindarose's Avatar
 
he is Huge! if I can get a pick, I sure will. He's shy and swims away when I get too close.
lindarose is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 10-01-2012, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
lindarose's Avatar
 
Japanese (Siamese, Chinese? ) Algea eater pic

IMG_2581[1].jpgIf I did this right, there should be a pic attached.
lindarose is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 10-01-2012, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
lindarose's Avatar
 
to give reference, that "treasure chest" is approximately 3 " long.
lindarose is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 10-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Member
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindarose View Post
to give reference, that "treasure chest" is approximately 3 " long.
Wow! How long do they live?

Consider the needs of your fish before acting on your desires.
marshallsea is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 10-02-2012, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
lindarose's Avatar
 
from what I read, they can live approx. 10 years or so.
lindarose is offline  
Reply

Tags
japanese algae eater

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Siamese Algae Eater "TRUE" question? PRIMESIX Freshwater and Tropical Fish 4 04-30-2012 07:57 AM
Pregnant Japanese Algae Eating Shrimp! BORGUSX Fish Breeding 9 09-29-2008 02:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome