Odd Algae
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » The Tropical Fish Keeping Community » Aquarium Photography » Freshwater Journals » Odd Algae

Odd Algae

This is a discussion on Odd Algae within the Freshwater Journals forums, part of the Aquarium Photography category; --> Hi Guys, Is this some sort of Diatom....I have never seen it before but it is growing on my rocks and wood. Cheers Jimi...

Reply
Old 07-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
 
JImi's Avatar
 
Odd Algae

Hi Guys,

Is this some sort of Diatom....I have never seen it before but it is growing on my rocks and wood.

Cheers
Jimi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0464.jpg (85.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0465.jpg (73.7 KB, 42 views)
JImi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
 
sidluckman's Avatar
 
The black tufted stuff or the green stuff? Certainly not a diatom. Wish I could say I never saw it before but I think it's the same clumpy stuff I have in my 29. Started off looking like black "hair algae" then graduated to a thick black matt that covered wood and rock. Onceit became nearly one cm thick, you can remove it in chunky pieces.

I am hesitant to say what it is, because I have so many annoying algaes in that tank and to be honest I am not sure if they are separate entities or different phases of the same thing, like the three-headed dog that guards the gates of hell!

So you have my support, my friend, but no answers, and I will be patiently watching this thread because I would like to know the answer, too. . .
sidluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
 
JImi's Avatar
 
Yeah the black clumpy stuff. I'm really hoping its not black brush algae!

Jimi
Posted via Mobile Device
JImi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
 
JImi's Avatar
 
Anyone? Someone must know out of the many people that hjave looked at this thread.
JImi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
 
lorax84's Avatar
 
Yeah, thats BBA. If you want to get rid of it go to the pharmacy and get a plastic syringe and some Hydrogen peroxide. Fill the syringe and squirt each of the little clumps. On rocks it can just be sprayed over the surface of the rock. You should then see it bubble of the algae, and it will die in a few days. Don't use a ton all at once. I used a whole 40cc in my 20 gallon with no ill effects, but more could cause problems for both your fish and plants. Certain plants can be more sensitive, so if you are worried about a plant try a little to make sure it wont be harmed.

edit: You can do this every 12 hours, Hydrogen peroxide is not persistent and will evaporate

Last edited by lorax84; 07-31-2012 at 06:17 PM..
lorax84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
 
JImi's Avatar
 
Ok thanks for that, I will give it a go. Theres a lot of literature on the web about using SAE's so I went and bought some. I will try this route first and then yours. Thanks again.

If anyone else has any info on this though please add to this post.

Jimi
JImi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
 
1077's Avatar
 
I might remove the wood and or rocks and scrub the stuff off, and only use the Peroxide on plant leaves if they too are affected.
Would for sure look at decreasing light intensity and or duration.
Can also google..."James algae guide" for some more info on causes of different types of algae.
Most ALL of my former problem's with algae (trust me it was lot's) was result of trying to use too much light over the tank for too long in belief that more light= more growth,faster growth .
Only thing that grew faster,,was algae and lot's of it.
More light = more demand for CO2 and nutrient's for plant's to do well .Algae need's way less of both so in their absence,,the algae takes off.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
 
JImi's Avatar
 
My Co2 and lighting are fine, I think the spores came off a plant I bought.

Odd thing is I never had BBA when I had SAE's, got rid of the SAE's and I now have BBA! lol

Jimi
JImi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JImi View Post
My Co2 and lighting are fine, I think the spores came off a plant I bought.

Odd thing is I never had BBA when I had SAE's, got rid of the SAE's and I now have BBA! lol

Jimi
According to your equipment for this tank ,Two 54 watt T5 bulb's and DIY CO2, I would either increase CO2 or as metioned, Decrease lighting.
But hey,,you say it's fine. Okey dokey, Good luck.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
 
lorax84's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
According to your equipment for this tank ,Two 54 watt T5 bulb's and DIY CO2, I would either increase CO2 or as metioned, Decrease lighting.
But hey,,you say it's fine. Okey dokey, Good luck.
I have 2 54 watt T5s, and 2 36 watt T8s on my 55 with no CO2 and no algae. He may need to decrease the duration of lighting, but the overall intensity is fine.
lorax84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
small "dotted" algae on glass--is it even an algae? yodapoolman Beginner Planted Aquarium 2 04-21-2012 06:02 PM
Algae Eaters eat Algae? MetalArm3 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 28 11-07-2011 07:46 PM
Algae vs. other plants - If it's ok to plant a tank, what's the prob. with Algae? KatG Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 5 11-08-2010 09:46 AM
Something To Get Rid of Algae Twitch Coral and Reef Creatures 5 04-01-2008 09:59 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.