A Newbie's Cycling 20g Tall - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 11-17-2008, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
A Newbie's Cycling 20g Tall

This is my new tank. I've had 4 danios in it for 10 days now. They are doing good but no ammonia yet. I'm currently suffering from wi****wouldcycle-itis. Any suggestions for the tank?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank3.jpg (90.0 KB, 129 views)
Blissfulfish is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 11-17-2008, 01:29 AM
Member
 
jeaninel's Avatar
 
Aquarium
Nice looking tank. I like all the tall plants.

Have patience. That's a fairly light bioload but eventually the cycle will start. Are you using a liquid test kit or strips? Have you done any water changes yet?

150 Gallon - Mostly American Cichlids
135 Gallon - Angelfish Community
75 Gallon - Odd couple (Polleni/Angelfish)
55 Gallon - African tank
20 Gallon Long - QT
10 Gallon - Empty
jeaninel is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 11-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Member
 
Tyyrlym's Avatar
 
Well this is more on the equipment side. It would be best to rotate your heater to about a 45 degree angle or more. That way the thermometer in it isn't bathed in the warm water coming off the heater portion and shutting off prematurely or cycling excessively. Also, I'd move your thermometer to the other side of the tank so that you get a better idea of the all over temperature of the tank.

Aside from that, just be paitent. The cycle will happen. Once your tank has cycled it will be much more forgiving on you and your fish.

Tetra Fanatic
Watch my tank progress from Craigslist salvage to fishy habitat: Aaron's Tank
The only things that happen quickly in an aquarium are bad things.
Tyyrlym is offline  
post #4 of 21 Old 11-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Member
 
SolaceTiger's Avatar
 
Really like your setup, especially that artifical piece of driftwood.. I think it's fake right?
SolaceTiger is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 11-17-2008, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaceTiger View Post
Really like your setup, especially that artifical piece of driftwood.. I think it's fake right?
Thanks! Yes, it's fake. I like it cause it looks cool and has some hiding spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyyrlym View Post
Well this is more on the equipment side. It would be best to rotate your heater to about a 45 degree angle or more. That way the thermometer in it isn't bathed in the warm water coming off the heater portion and shutting off prematurely or cycling excessively. Also, I'd move your thermometer to the other side of the tank so that you get a better idea of the all over temperature of the tank.

Aside from that, just be paitent. The cycle will happen. Once your tank has cycled it will be much more forgiving on you and your fish.
Thanks so much! I can't believe I didn't think about moving the thermometer before! It's on the other side of the tank now.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaninel View Post
Nice looking tank. I like all the tall plants.

Have patience. That's a fairly light bioload but eventually the cycle will start. Are you using a liquid test kit or strips? Have you done any water changes yet?
I'm using the API liquid kit. I had to do small water change today because I had an accidental feeding incident. I dumped WAY too much into the tank! I was able to clean most of it out though. I'm not planning on doing any changes until I start getting an ammonia reading though.

Thanks everybody!
Blissfulfish is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 11-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Member
 
iamntbatman's Avatar
 
Looks good! How about a background? I'm always a fan of plain old black, but some of the ones with plants look pretty good, too.

4 8 15 16 23 42
iamntbatman is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 11-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Gold Member
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
I agree w/ batman. A black background would look awesome for your tank. It's looking good. Love the tall plants.

If you don't stand up for something you'll fall for anything...
aunt kymmie is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 11-17-2008, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
I agree w/ batman. A black background would look awesome for your tank. It's looking good. Love the tall plants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamntbatman View Post
Looks good! How about a background? I'm always a fan of plain old black, but some of the ones with plants look pretty good, too.

Ooooh, good idea!! Maybe a black background will make this stupid thing cycle faster....
Blissfulfish is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 11-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Member
 
willow's Avatar
 
hello,
wow !! what a lovley tank.
i agree with the others about a black background,it would look
great. :)
do you have any friends with a tropical tank ?

when you set up a new tank,hide an extra
sponge or two behind some decor,that way you have
something seeded for you next filter.
willow is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 11-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Member
 
Amphitrite's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow
do you have any friends with a tropical tank ?
Good point, if you could get some established media to add to the tank that would help things along.

Is this your first ever tank? It looks fantastic and you've taken a great picture of it, it's really clear.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Amphitrite is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tall plants? blacksheep Beginner Planted Aquarium 2 03-07-2010 05:22 PM
Diagnose Newbie's Black Moor? ikcaj Cyprinids and Atherinids 5 06-26-2009 08:03 AM
Need more 29-tall stocking help... Jessica Freshwater and Tropical Fish 11 02-14-2009 04:07 PM
26g Tall Bow Loach316 Freshwater Journals 20 02-12-2009 08:18 PM
a pic of my 15g tall squiggles Freshwater Journals 18 12-14-2006 11:33 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome