So I bought a 4ft (55g) tank on Ebay including filter, heater decor and various community fish. I wanted to set up a mbuna tank and I was in luck my dad was also setting up a new tank with a mature filter already so I unloaded the fish onto him
. They are now happily swimming around in his 55g altho I am tempted to steal back the common plec, its huge and very pretty.
So Ive stripped down the tank and cleaned everything, got rid of all the gravel and decor I didnt like and put in a Juwel 3D background, the granite coloured one. Ive put some polystyrene in the base to help distribute the weight of all the slate Im going to use. So this is how it looks atm.... oh excuse the disembodied head below the tank. My sons 2 years old and interested in everything
That was 2 nights ago, tonight I decided to set up some of the hard ware, it came with a Rena Filstar XP2, a bubble curtain thingy (not sure what its called its not the rigid bar type but a hose with trianglar shaped air stones set along its length). Im going to get another filter, probably an internal one for mechanical filtration and have the external one kitted out with biological filter media. Does anyone have suggestions on the most effective ? rings, bio balls etc ...whats good to use ?
So once I had the gear set up the way I wanted I had a bit of an accident, I dropped the light unit and smashed one of the flourescent tubes
way to go magz (feel like such a numpty). Anyway I had some slate put aside so put that along with a few of the rocks the tank had already into the tank and tried messing around with it so see if I could arrange it. It's probably going to get remoddelled about a million times before Im happy with it and I will be buying more slate 2moro I'd really like the stacks to be higher, heres what it looks like so far .....not a huge change I know but making a little progress
I have bought a couple of bags of play sand to use as substrate and Im swithering on wether to order some of the neat java fern thats already attached to rocks to help with hiding wires, heater and the seam where the background tiles join up. Also the heater stuck to the glass in plain sight is bugging me but I cant think of any thing that will hide that until I get more decor
I'll keep posting pics as I make changes and ad things to the tank......its amazing how excited Im getting with all this prep work lol.