My 20g!!!
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » The Tropical Fish Keeping Community » Aquarium Photography » Freshwater Journals » My 20g!!!

My 20g!!!

This is a discussion on My 20g!!! within the Freshwater Journals forums, part of the Aquarium Photography category; --> Here's my 20g. I could only get one picture because my batteries died.... What do ya think so far?...

Reply
Old 02-24-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
 
adpierin11's Avatar
 
My 20g!!!

Here's my 20g. I could only get one picture because my batteries died.... What do ya think so far?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture.jpg (104.1 KB, 152 views)
adpierin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
 
20L?

looks ok so far. water looks filthy though.
id suggest going with some live plants rather then those plastic ones.
aspects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:31 AM   #3
 
1077's Avatar
 
I believe driftwood is responsible for stained water rather than water being dirty and it will clear with time. You can always soak the driftwood in seperate container for a few weeks while changing the water daily or every couple days to remove the tannins which are harmless to fish but stain the water a tea color. Artificial or live plants are a matter of preference in my view. I have both . PS you could also boil the wood to remove tannins but some pieces of wood are just too large for a pot.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:57 AM   #4
 
onefish2fish's Avatar
 
thinking about adding a background?
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
 
adpierin11's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspects View Post
20L?

looks ok so far. water looks filthy though.
id suggest going with some live plants rather then those plastic ones.
Yes it's a 20g long, no the water isn't filthy, the logs have turned it that color, I'm not too worried about it.
And I have no experience with real plants, don't want to go down that road yet.
That was a bit harsh, but whatever.
adpierin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
 
adpierin11's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefish2fish View Post
thinking about adding a background?
I was thinking about it, maybe a black one, but just haven't gotten around to it quite yet. This tank has only been running about two weeks. I transferred some stuff from my 30g tall to this one, so still working on it.
adpierin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:52 AM   #7
 
adpierin11's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
PS you could also boil the wood to remove tannins but some pieces of wood are just too large for a pot.
Thanks for your POSITIVE feedback. I really appreciate it. And yes tannins have stained my water, but I assume it will eventually fade after more wc's.

Last edited by adpierin11; 02-25-2009 at 08:55 AM..
adpierin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
 
I'm aware from the driftwood. As mentioned above, usually you boil it or at least soak it first so it doesn't do that to the water. Unless of course that's the look you were going for.

There ate some live plants that are really easy to care for, like anubias and java fern. However if you don't want to go that route, there are also silk plants that look pretty real.

And for the background, you can always just paint the background with spray paint. Its easy to do, and cheap.


Don't be so sensitive. I wasnt trying to be mean, just commenting on your brown water. I didn't think you would be so sensitive about it considering you posted the pic.
Sorry if I hurt your feelings.
aspects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #9
Kim
 
Kim's Avatar
 
Is that a female betta I see? Ooo, is it a sorority tank? I LOVE bettas!

I think it's looking good! I love the sand substrate and by the way, if it is bettas that you have in there they enjoy the tea-stained water. I have one betta that tail-bites and if I keep his water stained really dark he stops, so it definitely does benifit them. Most betta breeders use indian almond leaves and driftwood to get the same results and I keep mine in stained water for the same reason.

As for the plants, live ones definitely are more work and if you get the slower growing, low light ones they won't fill in any time soon usually. Honestly, your fake ones look good the way they are placed, so if you don't want live, then don't bother.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:08 PM   #10
 
adpierin11's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
Is that a female betta I see? Ooo, is it a sorority tank? I LOVE bettas!

I think it's looking good! I love the sand substrate and by the way, if it is bettas that you have in there they enjoy the tea-stained water. I have one betta that tail-bites and if I keep his water stained really dark he stops, so it definitely does benifit them. Most betta breeders use indian almond leaves and driftwood to get the same results and I keep mine in stained water for the same reason.

As for the plants, live ones definitely are more work and if you get the slower growing, low light ones they won't fill in any time soon usually. Honestly, your fake ones look good the way they are placed, so if you don't want live, then don't bother.
Thank you soooooo much Kim, unfortunately the brown water isn't quite what I was going for, but it will clear up eventually so I don't care too much.
adpierin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 AM.