Here it is, the journal I've been prodded to do
I guess I'll start with the new 125.
I gave away the 45 gallon along with a 10 for quarantine to a friend, sold the 75 and the 30 hex, broke down the 55 and moved the 90 into the kitchen in order to make room for the new 125. It was a big project. Bought the tank with stand and light for $300 on craigslist. Then the tank sat without water in it for a couple of months.
During that time, I painted the background with a glossy black enamel. Used all of a small can, with a sponge brush. The first few coats were lengthwise and left streaks and swirls and what not - very "starry night". I thought about leaving it like that, but I decided to go full black out. With the base coats in place, I then dabbed the paint on, filling in the light spots. Took several coats, and the whole can, but it looks great.
I decided the living room needed a larger TV and thought it best to take care of that before filling up the tank, so I got one and moved the living room TV into my bedroom, and moved my bedroom TV into the guest room - throwing out the old school CRT that took up all the space on the dresser. After that was done, I happened to stop by the LFS and they had a large 10-11 inch BGK for sale, so in the 29 QT it went and I filled the 125. I have 3 filters for the tank, from the 75 and 55 - an XP3, a sunsun 303 and a sunsun 302. They total 1000 gph. The filters had been sitting for 4 months, full of water and dirty media, when I hooked one (XP3) up to the 125. I dosed with some ammonia, and within two weeks (didn't test everyday) the tank was cycled with 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. The bacteria colony had survived - it just took a little time for them to get a handle on things.
Then I debated for a while what to do for substrate. Decided on doing a mix of mostly pool filter sand, with tahitian moon sand and moonlight sand. It's a nice look - I have to finish with the sand now that I am happy with the ratios I used. At the moment there is 50 lbs of pool filter sand, 10 lbs of TMS, and 5 lbs of moonlight. I'll finish with the sand soon, after which I will hook up the other two canisters.
So some time in september I will start to stock the tank. The BGK is eating NLS thera A and is all set to go in the 125. Next I am going to see about getting a fire eel. Also on the list are pictus cats and a pair of oscars. Not sure what else at the moment.
Well, that's the story of the new 125 thus far. Now that I have made some progress with that tank, it's time to pay some attention to the other tanks. It's been 8 months since I've cleaned the filters - 2 months past due. I'll probably get that done in september some time, after labor day.