A few pictures of planted tank effort's. - Page 2 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 03-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Member
 
konstargirl's Avatar
 
Pretty!!!!

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...laties_sig.jpg

10 gallon
4 juli cory

1 5 gallon empty tank
konstargirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 21 Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
1077 how do your Corys do on the Black diamond?
I had this in my tanks not to long ago and found it kinda rough. I have heard it was fine for them but was kind of hesitant to put them in a tank with it after feeling it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Have seen no damaged barbel's or scraped bellies on the cory's or the pleco's.
Cory's and Pleco's been on this substrate for about a year.
Spoke with a few people who also use it before I considered it .Many nay sayer's on forum's but those I weeded out rather quickly.
Spoke to those actually using it, rather than those parroting what they had heard .

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 03-05-2013, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by konstargirl View Post
Pretty!!!!


The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 03-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Member
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
Have seen no damaged barbel's or scraped bellies on the cory's or the pleco's.
Cory's and Pleco's been on this substrate for about a year.
Spoke with a few people who also use it before I considered it .Many nay sayer's on forum's but those I weeded out rather quickly.
Spoke to those actually using it, rather than those parroting what they had heard .
I have read many threads/posts on another forum saying the same thing about it being safe. Have even read where breeders of Corys used this stuff as well.
The reason I was hesitant in the first place and still am is that I found it kinda rough like I said and plus I found pieces or what look like wielding wire in it as I was cleaning it. It actually got stuck in my finger under my nail. O.o I have a post about it on the same forum asking about others experience with stuff in the bag.

I am glad its working great for ya as it truely does look great in a tank and pics really don't show the true beauty of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Boredomb is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 03-06-2013, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
I have read many threads/posts on another forum saying the same thing about it being safe. Have even read where breeders of Corys used this stuff as well.
The reason I was hesitant in the first place and still am is that I found it kinda rough like I said and plus I found pieces or what look like wielding wire in it as I was cleaning it. It actually got stuck in my finger under my nail. O.o I have a post about it on the same forum asking about others experience with stuff in the bag.

I am glad its working great for ya as it truely does look great in a tank and pics really don't show the true beauty of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
20/40 grit is what I used, comes in a couple grain sizes .
Just yesterday I bought another 50 lbs but noticed it is 30/60 grit.
It may be too small of grain to hold stem plant's well. but i'm gonna give it a go on a ten gal.
They didn't have the 20/40 grit when I called em back.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 03-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Member
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
I used 20/40 as well but that was the only size they had at the time.

As for the 30/60 holding the stems down you can always put the bottom of the stem into a "J" and shove it in as far as you can and that usually keeps them from coming back up even in small grain size.
I have to do that with the sand I have to keep it down.

Did ya have issues getting the Black diamond clean?? I took me FOREVER to get the bag I had clean!
Posted via Mobile Device
Boredomb is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 03-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Member
 
funkman262's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
Did ya have issues getting the Black diamond clean?? I took me FOREVER to get the bag I had clean!
Posted via Mobile Device
Weird, black diamond was the quickest to clean of all the substrates I've had in the past. I put about 2.5 gallons of BD in a 5g bucket at a time, swirled it around while I filled up the bucket, once it filled I emptied out the water and dumped the sand into the tank. Cleaned a 50lb bag in no time. The water was only slightly cloudy when I filled up the tank but it cleared up in hours.
funkman262 is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 03-06-2013, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
I used 20/40 as well but that was the only size they had at the time.

As for the 30/60 holding the stems down you can always put the bottom of the stem into a "J" and shove it in as far as you can and that usually keeps them from coming back up even in small grain size.
I have to do that with the sand I have to keep it down.

Did ya have issues getting the Black diamond clean?? I took me FOREVER to get the bag I had clean!
Posted via Mobile Device
I swear,,I never washed it.Tank was not that cloudy, and cleared in 24 hour's.
I then cleaned the filter media, and was good to go.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 03-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Member
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
O.O
Never washed it?? HOLY CRAP! I believe ya but dang.
When I washed it stained everything it touched including the buckets and my hands black am shocked it didn't do this to your tank!?!??
Posted via Mobile Device
Boredomb is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 03-06-2013, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
O.O
Never washed it?? HOLY CRAP! I believe ya but dang.
When I washed it stained everything it touched including the buckets and my hands black am shocked it didn't do this to your tank!?!??
Posted via Mobile Device
Your scaring me now
Anticipate a right mess now that youv'e jinxed me.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pictures of first planted tank-55g chevysoldier Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 16 03-28-2012 08:20 PM
Better pictures? of 80 gal planted tank 1077 Freshwater Journals 15 02-05-2011 10:23 PM
New to Aquariums-55g Planted Tank, Story, Pictures and Video TropicalMax Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 22 06-25-2009 11:54 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome