Boredomb's Planted Tanks - Page 51
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » The Tropical Fish Keeping Community » Aquarium Photography » Freshwater Journals » Boredomb's Planted Tanks

Boredomb's Planted Tanks

This is a discussion on Boredomb's Planted Tanks within the Freshwater Journals forums, part of the Aquarium Photography category; --> Thanks Byron, I was thinking the Ph in the mornings would be lower though not sure by how much. Here thing I have been ...

Like Tree419Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Boredomb's Planted Tanks
Old 04-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #501
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Thanks Byron,
I was thinking the Ph in the mornings would be lower though not sure by how much. Here thing I have been trying to lower it slowly over the course of a couple weeks by adding 1/2 gallon Distilled water at a time. Yesterday I did a water change removing 4 1/2 gallons (this a 10gallon tank) and added 2 gallons of Distilled water and adding 2 1/2 tap water. I want my Ph to run somewhere around 6.8 or so if I can. Now my tap runs around 7.6. So I think I am on the right track hopefully? I plan on testing my Ph in the tank tomorrow morning again when I normally do to see what it is running.
Soo with that said I didn't think that would be enough fluctuation (.2 which is about the amount that changed maybe) in the ph to cause a problem with the crypts. I guess it was. Any suggestion on how low the ph or just keep doing what I am doing.
The plants in this tank are 2 Crypt Mi Oya, 1 Crypt wendtti, another crypt not sure the species, 3 crypt Nevilli, 1 Broad leaf Sagittaria, 1 anubias (again not sure the species), 1 Anubias Coffeefolia, 4-5 stems of Egeria densa, Hornwort, Water Sprite, and some random Duckweed floating round.
The Fish are Scarlet badis. Along with bunches or Malaysian trumpet snails and Acute Bladder snails.

Last edited by Boredomb; 04-08-2013 at 01:20 PM..
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #502
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
Thanks Byron,
I was thinking the Ph in the mornings would be lower though not sure by how much. Here thing I have been trying to lower it slowly over the course of a couple weeks by adding 1/2 gallon Distilled water at a time. Yesterday I did a water change removing 4 1/2 gallons (this a 10gallon tank) and added 2 gallons of Distilled water and adding 2 1/2 tap water. I want my Ph to run somewhere around 6.8 or so if I can. Now my tap runs around 7.6. So I think I am on the right track hopefully? I plan on testing my Ph in the tank tomorrow morning again when I normally do to see what it is running.
Soo with that said I didn't think that would be enough fluctuation (.2 which is about the amount that changed maybe) in the ph to cause a problem with the crypts. I guess it was. Any suggestion on how low the ph or just keep doing what I am doing.
The plants in this tank are 2 Crypt Mi Oya, 1 Crypt wendtti, another crypt not sure the species, 3 crypt Nevilli, 1 Broad leaf Sagittaria, 1 anubias (again not sure the species), 1 Anubias Coffeefolia, 4-5 stems of Egeria densa, Hornwort, Water Sprite, and some random Duckweed floating round.
The Fish are Scarlet badis. Along with bunches or Malaysian trumpet snails and Acute Bladder snails.
I would doubt that a pH adjustment of just 0.2 would melt crypts. It is likely something else. The diurnal fluctuation of 0.3 or 0.4 does not affect crypts, at least not in my experience. And my water changes probably fluctuate the pH by this amount weekly with no detriment.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #503
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
I would doubt that a pH adjustment of just 0.2 would melt crypts. It is likely something else. The diurnal fluctuation of 0.3 or 0.4 does not affect crypts, at least not in my experience. And my water changes probably fluctuate the pH by this amount weekly with no detriment.

Byron.
So then unless my Nitrates or other parameters went crazy (unlikely but not impossible) like BWG suggested it has to go back to part of the tank getting hit by sunlight. Though it was just part of the tank and only 3 out of the 6 crypts that melted got hit by the extra light. I have since fixed that issue now soo hopefully the balance is back in order.
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #504
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
So then unless my Nitrates or other parameters went crazy (unlikely but not impossible) like BWG suggested it has to go back to part of the tank getting hit by sunlight. Though it was just part of the tank and only 3 out of the 6 crypts that melted got hit by the extra light. I have since fixed that issue now soo hopefully the balance is back in order.
I would think direct sun now that was not there previously might affect crypts...but only those impacted by the sun presumably. Unless allelopathy is at work here, decimating all of the species when one or two are affected. ???

Any change can trigger this, and sometimes it takes several days, so think back to any changes over the past couple of weeks. Lighting, fertilizers, water parameters...
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #505
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
I would think direct sun now that was not there previously might affect crypts...but only those impacted by the sun presumably. Unless allelopathy is at work here, decimating all of the species when one or two are affected. ???

Any change can trigger this, and sometimes it takes several days, so think back to any changes over the past couple of weeks. Lighting, fertilizers, water parameters...
Some of these crypts I have only had a couple of weeks soo that might be some of it. Though I would have thought if they were going to melt they would have done it within the first week??

Another thing that was brought to my attention is the direct sunlight might have caused the tank temp to rise and fall again when it went away. That is something I didn't pay attention to as I didn't even think about the sunlight heating up the tank.
Posted via Mobile Device
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #506
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
Some of these crypts I have only had a couple of weeks soo that might be some of it. Though I would have thought if they were going to melt they would have done it within the first week??

Another thing that was brought to my attention is the direct sunlight might have caused the tank temp to rise and fall again when it went away. That is something I didn't pay attention to as I didn't even think about the sunlight heating up the tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

So maybe the combination of being new with some plants and the sunlight hitting others is what took most of my crypts out?? Just to be clear here .....
The Wendtti that took most of the sunlight wasn't a new crypt had it for a month or better and it never melted and in fact saw new growth out of it right before it did melt. The C. Nevilli that took the rest of the sunlight was a new plant only a couple weeks old. The 2 Crypt Mi Oya never got hit by the sunlight but was also a couple weeks old.
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #507
 
Byron's Avatar
 
I have known some crypts to melt about 2 or 3 weeks after being introduced. And I believe they were C. parva, the small green leaf crypt.

I have also had crypts that did not melt after I acquired them, but when moved to another tank some months later, did. There may well be more at work in this "melt" than we understand.

I recall my move from the condo to my present house back in late 2000. It was very cold out, late November, and the plants were in a tank with enough water to cover them on the moving van, and due to a breakdown enroute, spent more than 12 hours like this. It took me two days to re-set my two tanks and I had a fairly thick growth of crypts in both tanks. To my surprise, not one crypt melted, even after being pulled up, chilled to the bone [root??], sitting in a tank of cool water for 2 days, then being stuck in the tanks with fresh water. But the following year, the water board raised the pH of the tap water from 6 (or below) to 7, and two days after my weekly water change (not realizing this had occurred), every single crypt in both tanks turned to mush. And, very few ever recovered.

Last edited by Byron; 04-08-2013 at 06:38 PM..
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #508
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
O.O
"Very few ever recovered."

Ohh that's not very helpful or hopeful... :(
The last crypt I had to melt this bad was C. Lutea and it melted just as bad as these 5 did and it never came back. I am still being hopefully these do. They have too!! LoL
Posted via Mobile Device
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #509
 
Chesh's Avatar
 
. . . crypts are so . . .MYSTERIOUS! *shakes head*

They'll come back, John - keep the faith!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #510
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
My last 2 crypts melted,
I can only find 2 shrimp,
No matter what I do my water parameters don't change Ph wise or hardness for that matter,
One of my Apple snails pasted away (though they laid some more eggs before hand.),
and I still have the algae issue in the puffer tank.

I know what is meant to be you can't change but I can't help to think I had a hand in it.
.
.
.
.
.
Yeah I don't know at this point where to go with the tanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to planted tanks Bigdawg355 Beginner Planted Aquarium 12 06-26-2013 11:53 PM
My planted tanks Obakemono Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 12-11-2011 05:04 PM
Planted Tanks Lupin Freshwater Journals 10 12-10-2006 09:27 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.