Boredomb's Planted Tanks - Page 23 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 419Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #221 of 930 Old 01-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Member
 
thekoimaiden's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
On a different note Puffer tank parameters are as follows:
NH3= .0-.25 (yeah less them my 10 gallon??)
NO2=0
N03= 5-10 (There again less.)

So whats the difference?? The amount of water, the plants and filters. My thinking here is I need faster going plants and more of them. I have a sponge filter on my 10 maybe I need a different type of filter as well? Yeah Duckweed is a PITA plant. I HATE IT!!!!
I don't think you need a different filter as long as the one you have is rated for 10 gal tanks. I'd say get more plants. Hornwort would do well in your hard water and grows like there is no tomorrow. No need to resort to duckweed just yet!! lol!! Water sprite is another good, fast-growing plant and you can float it on the surface.

---Izzy

Sitting by the koi pond

writings on fish and fishkeeping


thekoimaiden is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #222 of 930 Old 01-08-2013, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
I don't think you need a different filter as long as the one you have is rated for 10 gal tanks. I'd say get more plants. Hornwort would do well in your hard water and grows like there is no tomorrow. No need to resort to duckweed just yet!! lol!! Water sprite is another good, fast-growing plant and you can float it on the surface.
I have some Water Sprite floating in the tank now. Its only been there for umm a week maybe. It hasn't settle in yet. Hoping in the next couple of weeks I will see it growing.

How in the .... do you get Hornwort to stay down??? Especially when you have Apple snails that climb all over it and knock it around and then up root it!
Is it okay if it floats a lil??

Boredomb is offline  
post #223 of 930 Old 01-08-2013, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
The filter is a Elite sponge filter (single).
I have a dual Elite sponge filter I could use. I could use the sponge that's in the tank on one side and a new sponge on the other. Think this would help? I nit sure why the nitrates are higher in this tank? Thinking it needs a extra good cleaning.
Posted via Mobile Device
Boredomb is offline  
post #224 of 930 Old 01-08-2013, 02:38 PM
Member
 
Chesh's Avatar
 
OH! Wait, no... I'm sorry... you're right. The normal amount will remove ammonia, up to 1mg/L but to detox nitrite 'up to 5x normal dose may be used - sorry! O.o

Hornwort is a great idea, too - and it actually grows great floating, so no worries about that. It could be that the puffer tank is doing better because the plants are more established/growing more quickly? I'm sure once the WaterSprite starts to take off, it'll clean the water right up :)
Chesh is offline  
post #225 of 930 Old 01-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Member
 
thekoimaiden's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
I have some Water Sprite floating in the tank now. Its only been there for umm a week maybe. It hasn't settle in yet. Hoping in the next couple of weeks I will see it growing.

How in the .... do you get Hornwort to stay down??? Especially when you have Apple snails that climb all over it and knock it around and then up root it!
Is it okay if it floats a lil??
Give the water sprite another week or so and it will be going crazy.

LOL!! I had my hornwort in the goldfish tank and gave up! I just let the darn stuff float around. It can make a great floating mass that sucks up all the ammonia in the world.

---Izzy

Sitting by the koi pond

writings on fish and fishkeeping


thekoimaiden is offline  
post #226 of 930 Old 01-08-2013, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
LoL ok good!! Cause I am bout to the same point. Am tired of trying to get it to stay down!
Tomorrow I will go out and look for a conditioner that will detoxify Ammonia. I know Prime does but will see what else does as well and compare the prices. Thanks Izzy!
Posted via Mobile Device
Boredomb is offline  
post #227 of 930 Old 01-08-2013, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Oh would Smaller water changes more frequently using something like Prime be better then just once a week at 50%?? Maybe 2x weekly at 25%
Posted via Mobile Device
Boredomb is offline  
post #228 of 930 Old 01-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Member
 
thekoimaiden's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
Oh would Smaller water changes more frequently using something like Prime be better then just once a week at 50%?? Maybe 2x weekly at 25%
Posted via Mobile Device
I know that method works with people who have high nitrates in their tap water, but I don't know if it works with ammonia. I think just heavy planted is all you need with ammonia because plants will use ammonia before they use nitrate.

---Izzy

Sitting by the koi pond

writings on fish and fishkeeping


thekoimaiden is offline  
post #229 of 930 Old 01-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Member
 
jentralala's Avatar
 
On Hornwort, where I live it grows floating in the river, it's never rooted. I think it's just one of those plants that prefers being closer to the surface :p
jentralala is offline  
post #230 of 930 Old 01-08-2013, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
I know that method works with people who have high nitrates in their tap water, but I don't know if it works with ammonia. I think just heavy planted is all you need with ammonia because plants will use ammonia before they use nitrate.
Well hmmm ........ This is my thinking Izzy.
I know readily take up Ammonia when you have enough and fast growing plants. I don't think I have enough for that yet. Obviously since I still have Ammonia showing after during a wc last nite. So till my plants explode and/or I get more. A lil low on funds at the moment soo getting more plants for me at the moment isn't going to happen. If I do multiple small wc with a conditioner it would help with the detoxifying it would help. Cause the time the condition stops working it would be about time for me to do another wc and I would be adding more conditioner. Hmmm???? I dunno.....
Posted via Mobile Device
Boredomb is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to planted tanks Bigdawg355 Beginner Planted Aquarium 12 06-26-2013 11:53 PM
My planted tanks Obakemono Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 12-11-2011 05:04 PM
Planted Tanks Lupin Freshwater Journals 10 12-10-2006 09:27 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome