Better pictures? of 80 gal planted tank
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » The Tropical Fish Keeping Community » Aquarium Photography » Freshwater Journals » Better pictures? of 80 gal planted tank

Better pictures? of 80 gal planted tank

This is a discussion on Better pictures? of 80 gal planted tank within the Freshwater Journals forums, part of the Aquarium Photography category; --> Hope this look's better than last ones with flash. Is planted tank I started in july of this past year. Many thanks to Byron ...

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Better pictures? of 80 gal planted tank
Old 02-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
 
1077's Avatar
 
Better pictures? of 80 gal planted tank

Hope this look's better than last ones with flash. Is planted tank I started in july of this past year.
Many thanks to Byron for helping me better understand.
Lighting is Aqueon triple tube fixture with three 32 watt 6500K bulbs on for eight hours each day.
Substrate is 80 lbs of eco-complete capped with approx 4 inches of fine gravel.
Filter is eheim 2217 and Koralia II for just under the surface movement, and more circulation.
Fertilizers.. Flourish comprehensive 15 ml once a week or two, along with dry fertilizers NPK macronurient's once a week or two, and root tabs (home made).
Fish tank inhabitant;s under My aquariums.
Water changes of 50 percent once a month (sorry Tom can't seem to refrain)
Hope you all like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (108.8 KB, 103 views)
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
 
ghostgirl's Avatar
 
That is so pretty. I read on another thread somewhere that more than 2" of substrate creates problems. I'm assuming that was wrong. Your plants are beautiful.
ghostgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Beautiful. What a difference between now and then. Were did you find the triple tube fixture? I've been looking for one and haven't been able to find that fixture on DrsFosters or ThatFishPlace.
How often are you changing out the tubes on the fixture? Every six months?
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
Beautiful. What a difference between now and then. Were did you find the triple tube fixture? I've been looking for one and haven't been able to find that fixture on DrsFosters or ThatFishPlace.
How often are you changing out the tubes on the fixture? Every six months?

I found the fixture at DrsFosterSmith with some scrolling,searching all light fixtures.Try Aqueon Triple tube fixture at their site.
Bulbs that came with the fixture were three 32 watt T8 8500 K bulbs that i replaced with 6500k T8's from lowes.They have only been over the tank for a couple months,before that I was running 72 watts of CFL's but the fixture was as ugly as my ex Mother-in-law and I hated it's presence almost as much as I did her.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
I found the fixture at DrsFosterSmith with some scrolling,searching all light fixtures.Try Aqueon Triple tube fixture at their site.
Bulbs that came with the fixture were three 32 watt T8 8500 K bulbs that i replaced with 6500k T8's from lowes.They have only been over the tank for a couple months,before that I was running 72 watts of CFL's but the fixture was as ugly as my ex Mother-in-law and I hated it's presence almost as much as I did her.
LMAO!!! I'm glad that I too, no longer have any in-laws to deal with!! LOL

So, tell me more about these dry ferts? I've always been afraid of them but them I use them for all my terrestial plants, go figure.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Ok, I found this:

Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: Triple Tube Strip Lights

Maybe it's right in front of my face but where are the specs that specify height and width? I know the length is 48. What are the dimensions of your fixture??
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
LMAO!!! I'm glad that I too, no longer have any in-laws to deal with!! LOL

So, tell me more about these dry ferts? I've always been afraid of them but them I use them for all my terrestial plants, go figure.

Many,most,who run high tech ,high light,CO2 enriched tanks dose these macronutrient's daily.
I was researching low tech planted tanks,and came across.. (Tom Barr's non CO2 method) which suggested that adding small amount of these much needed macronutrient's would further benefit the plant's and I decided to try it.
I then began asking about dosing these nutrient's and at what rate for low tech application and Tom as well as other's offered assistance,expierience, which I lacked.
Am pleased thus far with the result's.
Could not however forego water changes for month's, as Tom's method which is a take off from Walstad method, suggest's. I Fear I have too many fish for the no water changes he and other's suggest is possible. I suspect they have planted tank's with fish ,where I have a fish tank with plant's.
Some argue that low light ,low tech,tanks don't have the same demand for nutrient's that high tech tanks have and thus added dry fertz aren't needed but I decided to try it for myself.
Low tech ,low light,Non CO2 still can benefit from scaled back dosing of macronutrient's to ensure there is no limiting factor hampering ones effort's.Or at least that's been my observations thus far.
I'm dosing dry fertz at three quarter's, to one half tsp,each of KNO3, KHP204 , once or twice a week, and different volumes of water (Tank sizes) require different amount's.
Can order a year's worth of these dry fertz for around 20 bucks and plant's do seem to respond.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
Ok, I found this:

Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: Triple Tube Strip Lights

Maybe it's right in front of my face but where are the specs that specify height and width? I know the length is 48. What are the dimensions of your fixture??
Sorry, Don't know the specs off the top of my head. Fixture is about four inches high,by five inches wide and 48 inches long.
The one you found ,is the one I have.It matches the stand and trim on my tank and isn't as ugly as the old black fixture that I had which came from Saltwater tank my brother had some years ago.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
Sorry, Don't know the specs off the top of my head. Fixture is about four inches high,by five inches wide and 48 inches long.
The one you found ,is the one I have.It matches the stand and trim on my tank and isn't as ugly as the old black fixture that I had which came from Saltwater tank my brother had some years ago.
The width is what I'm most interested in. Even though there are three tubes in the fixture, the fixture is only 5" wide?? That would be perfect for what I need it for.
Not to be a pain in the you know what but before I order it can you tell me for certain on the width? I only have so much room. The length and height figures don't matter, it's the width across the top, front to back of the tank, that I'm worried about. Thanks!!
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:56 PM   #10
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
The width is what I'm most interested in. Even though there are three tubes in the fixture, the fixture is only 5" wide?? That would be perfect for what I need it for.
Not to be a pain in the you know what but before I order it can you tell me for certain on the width? I only have so much room. The length and height figures don't matter, it's the width across the top, front to back of the tank, that I'm worried about. Thanks!!

Kymmie,
Wished I would have caught this question before I left from work yesterday. I will measure it today when I get home and report measurement's Saturday morning when I come by work to check boiler's.
Upon looking at tape measure here at work, and the light over the 75 gal tank I have here,, Gonna say the triple tube fixture is closer to seven or eight inches rather than five .
Guess size does matter.
Will get exact width today.
Lee.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to Aquariums-55g Planted Tank, Story, Pictures and Video TropicalMax Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 22 06-25-2009 11:54 AM
Transition from 45 gallon non-planted community tank to larger, planted, discus tank borkborkbork Cichlids 7 03-02-2009 02:49 PM
Transition from 45 gallon non-planted community tank to larger, planted, discus tank borkborkbork Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 0 02-23-2009 12:11 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 AM.