01-31-2013, 08:24 PM
| || |
The lily did really good with growing and sending out roots, but the flow would get on top of the pad and push it underwater, so I moved it out to the pond. That's where most of the plants go, if they don't do so hot in the tank haha Or into jars on the window sill. Original plants? Um, the longest plant that's been in there has been the..uh...I don't know what plant it is <.< The stemmy, leafy thing in the background. It's been there for awhile. I've had ludwigia from the other lake that did okay, but I just didn't like it planted. I'm trying it floating atm, to see how it does. I've also had the first plant I picked before and it did well, but I could never find enough to do what I wanted with it. It went into a jar and into the pond haha. Oh and the "pondweed" refused to grow to the surface. It would send out a stem to a certain height, die, send out a new one...etc.
The hardest part isn't finding or picking the plants, it's cleaning them. Any leaf that doesn't look 100% gets trimmed, and they all get washed in chlorinated water to help kill bacteria. It can take over two hours just to clean some plants x.x Also if something looks fishy to me it goes in a jar for observation, and anything that has a lot of algae gets put in a container in the dark for a day or two, then thoroughly washed. I also check out the fish in the lake to see if any look sick...I stopped collecting from one because the fish were all getting some kind of fungus. Blergh.
It is definitely taking a risk but...no problems so far.