29 gallon planted community tank video..
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » The Tropical Fish Keeping Community » Aquarium Photography » Freshwater Journals » 29 gallon planted community tank video..

29 gallon planted community tank video..

This is a discussion on 29 gallon planted community tank video.. within the Freshwater Journals forums, part of the Aquarium Photography category; --> Hey, just a little video of my 29g planted tank, added a few new plants today and moved some things around. I am going ...

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
29 gallon planted community tank video..
Old 04-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
 
rhymon78's Avatar
 
29 gallon planted community tank video..

Hey,

just a little video of my 29g planted tank, added a few new plants today and moved some things around.

I am going to change the background soon, we got the ocean background the day we purchased the tank complete newbies and now it just bothers me as it totally doesn't go.. probably get some rooted or riverbank background, something dark.

feel free to comment, any thoughts, or ideas or criticism welcome!

Cheers

Simon
29 gallon planted community aquarium - YouTube

Last edited by rhymon78; 04-14-2012 at 05:19 PM..
rhymon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
 
Inga's Avatar
 
Very nice looking. It looks like a tank I would enjoy swimming in, if I were a fish. How many Cory do you have? I was seeing only one, it seemed. If that is the case, they do like to be in groups of 5 or so. Great job with your plants, they look nice and lush. Do you use CO2 or just a supplement?
Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
 
rhymon78's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inga View Post
Very nice looking. It looks like a tank I would enjoy swimming in, if I were a fish. How many Cory do you have? I was seeing only one, it seemed. If that is the case, they do like to be in groups of 5 or so. Great job with your plants, they look nice and lush. Do you use CO2 or just a supplement?
Thanks! I have 3 corys, the others were around. would like to maybe ad another 2 corys but to be honest I'm probably over stocked as it is. we'll see, water parameters are always good and got plenty of plants so might get away with it, but I have 4 botia kubotai in there too. They are only small now, but will grow to around 5 inches one day.. so mature bioload is maxed at the mo!

I don't use any supplements, and don't use CO2 either... its a fairly new tank and its my first. the pigmy sword chain and that really green plant at the front only went in today, so could be why they are so colourful?

I really love lush swampy looking tanks, and ideally would like to have one like that one day, so going a bit over board with the plants at the moment. I add something, like the look of it and then in a week or two something just isn't right, so I have to add some more.. its never ending lol. We have very limited space in our house, and the mrs won't let me get another tank so got to git this one as good as I can i guess..

Anyhoo, cheers again for the comment!
rhymon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
 
Inga's Avatar
 
LOL You sound a bit like me. My tank is literally stuffed tight with plants. My Amazons keep having baby plantlets so... I have to get another tank so I have room for my baby plants. ha ha


I keep reminding myself that the fish need room to swim. ha ha
Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
 
rhymon78's Avatar
 
Yes it certainly is an addiction. And once you can't put any more fish in, what else can you do?

was just checking out your pics, and was wondering how you manage with such a big piece of mopani in your tank, does it not leach tannins like mad? I had a piece much smaller, but similar look to yours and had to take it out, even after soaking it for a week and boiling it 5 times!!
rhymon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
 
Inga's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymon78 View Post
Yes it certainly is an addiction. And once you can't put any more fish in, what else can you do?

was just checking out your pics, and was wondering how you manage with such a big piece of mopani in your tank, does it not leach tannins like mad? I had a piece much smaller, but similar look to yours and had to take it out, even after soaking it for a week and boiling it 5 times!!

I have been lucky with Mopani wood after boiling it, it leached a little tannins but it doesn't hurt the fish or plants at all and after a few weekly water changes it just stopped. In the picture I just posted though, that isn't Mopani wood. It is an ugly plastic log that my Rainbow shark needs so he isn't a bully to the others in the tank. I try to hide it well by planting heavily around it. ha ha It has grown some brush algae on it now as it is in the current and it makes it look pretty darn real. There is Mopani wood in other tanks if you look in my Aquarium profiles you will see some. Never had an issue with it. The Corie's, pleco's and Oto's love the wood in the tank. I do have drift wood in that tank, just not what is showing up in the picture.


Oh, and to your question "what do you do with the tank once it is full of fish" Simple answer... buy another tank and start all over. Before you tell me you have a grip on your addiction, I will tell you so did I (or so I thought) but a small crisis happened and I ran out and bought another new tank. Sometimes the addiction gets the best of you.
Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
 
rhymon78's Avatar
 
haha, unfortunately and I really mean that! we just do not have the room for another tank. Our 29gallon and stand that came with it is apparently "already too much fish tank for this living room" according to my wife!

I would love another couple tanks at least, but it just isn't going to happen. not unless I move her out.(don't tell her, but that is a viable option!)

I saw the mopani in your other tanks, not in that picture you posted in this thread. I also commented in someone else's thread about you floating green cabomba in your tank, how does that work with the filter output breaking the surface to oxygenate the water, and the general flow around the tank for filtration?? I have been thinking of floating something, but my LFS doesnt deal with floating plants as they say they kill everything underneath... which I think is a debatable statement... but I am concerned about the flow from the filter etc.

I currently have some mopani in my tank, but its not a marbled piece, just the one colour. but I had to take the other piece out, it didn't really go, and it was leaching like mad, and it also grew this mad ectoplasm fungus all over it. kept washing it, and it kept coming back. then all of a sudden it seemed to dry up and left these white patches on the wood. So didn't want to risk it being harmful to the fish.
rhymon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
 
Termato's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymon78 View Post
haha, unfortunately and I really mean that! we just do not have the room for another tank. Our 29gallon and stand that came with it is apparently "already too much fish tank for this living room" according to my wife!

I would love another couple tanks at least, but it just isn't going to happen. not unless I move her out.(don't tell her, but that is a viable option!)

I saw the mopani in your other tanks, not in that picture you posted in this thread. I also commented in someone else's thread about you floating green cabomba in your tank, how does that work with the filter output breaking the surface to oxygenate the water, and the general flow around the tank for filtration?? I have been thinking of floating something, but my LFS doesnt deal with floating plants as they say they kill everything underneath... which I think is a debatable statement... but I am concerned about the flow from the filter etc.

I currently have some mopani in my tank, but its not a marbled piece, just the one colour. but I had to take the other piece out, it didn't really go, and it was leaching like mad, and it also grew this mad ectoplasm fungus all over it. kept washing it, and it kept coming back. then all of a sudden it seemed to dry up and left these white patches on the wood. So didn't want to risk it being harmful to the fish.
Very nice looking tank!

I know what you mean by wanting to get a bigger tank and ....the wife (in my case gf) ...not agreeing lol. (it says you have a 110 gallon in your profile! lol)

Keep it up though, I love the look of that over growth. What I was thinking could maybe pop it a bit more is if you got some red tinted plants like Red Ludwigia or something.

Maybe drift wood?

Really nice job though! I want to get my tank that overgrown soon....hopefully more hahah
Termato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
 
rhymon78's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termato View Post
Very nice looking tank!

I know what you mean by wanting to get a bigger tank and ....the wife (in my case gf) ...not agreeing lol. (it says you have a 110 gallon in your profile! lol)

Keep it up though, I love the look of that over growth. What I was thinking could maybe pop it a bit more is if you got some red tinted plants like Red Ludwigia or something.

Maybe drift wood?

Really nice job though! I want to get my tank that overgrown soon....hopefully more hahah
cheers!! good Idea about the red ludwigia, agree it would look nice.

I can't find where it says in my profile I have a 110gallon? all I can find is 110L which is litres, same difference 29gallon/110L..... I wish I had a 110 gallon, wow..

I am going to change the background as soon as I find one I like, I want just some rooty riverbank type background, something dark so the green pops more. the background I have in there is for a reef tank....newbie schoolboy error

got some new pigmy chain sword front left corner, well I was told it was that.. but Im gonna get a couple more, and apparently it carpets out.. I love lush totally overgrown tanks and this is my aim eventually.

Byron has a few pure lush swampy aquariums on his profile... oh to dream....

anyways, cheers again.
rhymon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
 
Termato's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymon78 View Post
cheers!! good Idea about the red ludwigia, agree it would look nice.

I can't find where it says in my profile I have a 110gallon? all I can find is 110L which is litres, same difference 29gallon/110L..... I wish I had a 110 gallon, wow..

I am going to change the background as soon as I find one I like, I want just some rooty riverbank type background, something dark so the green pops more. the background I have in there is for a reef tank....newbie schoolboy error

got some new pigmy chain sword front left corner, well I was told it was that.. but Im gonna get a couple more, and apparently it carpets out.. I love lush totally overgrown tanks and this is my aim eventually.

Byron has a few pure lush swampy aquariums on his profile... oh to dream....

anyways, cheers again.
Cabomba also has a nice purple tint at the top and under healthy leaves, it looks really good when it grows becasue it gets REALLY tall. I think you have some in there from what I saw in the video.

Have you tried using Flourish Comprehensive? It has made all my plants BOOM in growth. On Wednesday I will be posting new growth pictures and you can see how much bigger my Cabombas got just in one week! It is kind of crazy (its in the pictures/videos thread).

I love sword plants, I got two of them but they weren't doing so well. Once I started using Seachems Flourish Comprehensive (if you find another brand make sure it is Comprehensive) everything sky rocketed.

Oh hahah that makes more sense. The aquarium log puts it to gallons instead of liters so it shows like this: Size 110 Gallons lol That is on your Tank Profile. My biggest tank is a 29 as well. I wish I had a nice 55 or 75 long tank. I wanna keep discus eventually (but their so expensive).
Termato is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
75G Community Tank Video Elvis Freshwater Journals 3 12-09-2011 08:18 AM
first time video of our 45 gallon planted... cmc29 Freshwater Journals 4 01-02-2011 07:56 PM
20 gallon planted South American community ElectricBlueJackDempsey Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 5 10-27-2010 12:40 PM
Transition from 45 gallon non-planted community tank to larger, planted, discus tank borkborkbork Cichlids 7 03-02-2009 02:49 PM
Transition from 45 gallon non-planted community tank to larger, planted, discus tank borkborkbork Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 0 02-23-2009 12:11 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 AM.