Originally Posted by Chesherca
I'm so sorry, Fox. . . :(
It could be that simple! The API test will read ammonium as ammonia - it takes the reading for both together. I was lucky enough to learn that when I had to use Prime during a cycle way back when I started. One thing you might want to try is giving your test tubes a good old-fashioned scrub with dish washing detergent. Dirty tubes have been the culprit for more than one wonky test. . .
So your loaches actually avoided the eco complete substrate entirely? That's interesting, and good to know. Did you notice the barbel issues during/right at the tank move, or was it a few days after?
Well, at least she had a good chance. She was never a normal loach though by any means since I had her. That said usually I just rinse them in water after use. How do you scrub something that narrow?
Well when the substrate wasn't as mixed they preferred the sandy areas. As the substrate began to finally mix they began suddenly digging in the back which is all eco. I noticed once they were moved in the evidence of the erosion. I can happily say though all current loach butts in the 150 have clean looking barbels today :3
The 150 went through a large water change. I put down some root tabs in a few places since it's been a while. I must say today I had the cleanest clearest looking water coming out of that tank. I don't last remember when it looked and smelled that clean. The Swords are also looking a lot better. The SAE are really content with going up and down the broad leaves to nom on the algae.
The 90 looks a lot better today after it's water change, scrub, and the tweaking to the layout. I've hiked up the sponge+power head and it's fully circulating the water better than it did with how it was originally set up. The fish seem to enjoy having an open space on the right to chill out.
The 80 got a water change and I moved some wood just a bit, relocated some plants to different areas and took the sponge+filter and moved it to the right so that I can put it on top of something and circulate the water better. Didn't take long for Queen to come out to cruise around. She's getting better about it and not automatically dashing off when she sees me.
the 20 gallon is the same as before. Clover seems content with having the space to himself.
Oh the old light on the 90 seems to be having ballast problems. I've swapped the light that was on the 80 over to the 90, and then took one of my 2 foot t8's and have that on the 80. Fish in both tanks are responding favorably to the lesser light levels. Not sure if I want to spend the money later on to try to replace the ballasts or throw the whole unit out. It is nice how it has built in reflectors but I'm no good at working with electrical stuff.