150 Gallon Bichir Tank (Upgrade from 75) - Page 53
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » The Tropical Fish Keeping Community » Aquarium Photography » Freshwater Journals » 150 Gallon Bichir Tank (Upgrade from 75)

150 Gallon Bichir Tank (Upgrade from 75)

This is a discussion on 150 Gallon Bichir Tank (Upgrade from 75) within the Freshwater Journals forums, part of the Aquarium Photography category; --> SOOOO CUTE!!! I'm looking forward to the video you will eventually get of the begging rainbows *hint hint* They sound so CUTE! So happy ...

Like Tree259Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
150 Gallon Bichir Tank (Upgrade from 75)
Old 04-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #521
 
Chesh's Avatar
 
SOOOO CUTE!!! I'm looking forward to the video you will eventually get of the begging rainbows *hint hint*
They sound so CUTE! So happy to see everything now. . . it still boggles the mind to consider how many changes the last year has brought to your tanks. Mine, too - but on a MUCH smaller scale, lol! Keep up the good work, Fox - and the updates!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #522
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
SOOOO CUTE!!! I'm looking forward to the video you will eventually get of the begging rainbows *hint hint*
They sound so CUTE! So happy to see everything now. . . it still boggles the mind to consider how many changes the last year has brought to your tanks. Mine, too - but on a MUCH smaller scale, lol! Keep up the good work, Fox - and the updates!
I'll have to a video of when the lights just went on because a good number of them group together to beg.

What I do have though is video of the two large SAE's that I brought home to try to help with the Algae problem on my Swords:

Two of these are Not Like the Others - YouTube

Quite a few updates going on with my tanks.

The 150 now has a new heater.

The 90 now has two SAE as well to help the beginning signs of algae that tends to plague new tanks.

The 80 now has a Powerhead attached to it's Sponge as the bubbler was irritating me.

The 10 has a new heater as well. It failed not too long ago.

Also I'm now using a Master Test kit and the Nitrate readings are a little alarming as is the slight presence of ammonia. However I think this is linked to the water supply. It's turning my 150 slightly green for a few days before it clears after every change. I'm going to test my source water next to see what it is putting out and then decide how to go from there. Then again, most my tanks got dosed with flourish and I've been upping the Prime. It's possible that's interfering with my results. All tanks are showing Nitrate but no Nitrite and that sounds off.

I mean, if it were as high as the test is reading, my shrimp would be dead. They are very much the opposite.

Now that I think about it all that plant matter that died off or shed stuff from the new plants could be causing this too.
Chesh likes this.

Last edited by Sanguinefox; 04-25-2013 at 04:47 PM..
Sanguinefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #523
 

Oops linked it wrong.
Chesh likes this.
Sanguinefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #524
 
thekoimaiden's Avatar
 
Your 150 looks soo full!!!! It's beautiful!!

As for your tanks not showing nitrite... you want that. A cycled tank should only show nitrate. The ammonia from your tap will be dealt with by your plants. Nitrite is the second step in the aquarium nitrogen cycle and still toxic to fish. Be glad you don't have any!!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #525
 
Chesh's Avatar
 
Nice Sesame Street reference there :) The fish are beautiful, the tank looks so full!!!

I'm happy that you got a test kit, even if you don't test as regularly as some, it's really good to have that kind of thing on-hand so that you CAN test if you notice something is off, or just every now and again to be sure that they're not.

I still test my tanks regularly. . . having that visible reassurance that the water is where I want it to be makes me feel so much better - even though I can see that my babies are obviously fine! Sometimes catching things early can make a huge difference in their world.

Have you tested the tap water yet? Hopefully you figure out where these wobbles are coming from, and can correct them easily. . . poor shrimp! They're like you canary in a coal mine, so to speak! Glad that they, and all the rest, are doing so well!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #526
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Your 150 looks soo full!!!! It's beautiful!!

As for your tanks not showing nitrite... you want that. A cycled tank should only show nitrate. The ammonia from your tap will be dealt with by your plants. Nitrite is the second step in the aquarium nitrogen cycle and still toxic to fish. Be glad you don't have any!!
Thanks :3

I feel like a bit of a derp mixing the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
Nice Sesame Street reference there :) The fish are beautiful, the tank looks so full!!!

I'm happy that you got a test kit, even if you don't test as regularly as some, it's really good to have that kind of thing on-hand so that you CAN test if you notice something is off, or just every now and again to be sure that they're not.

I still test my tanks regularly. . . having that visible reassurance that the water is where I want it to be makes me feel so much better - even though I can see that my babies are obviously fine! Sometimes catching things early can make a huge difference in their world.

Have you tested the tap water yet? Hopefully you figure out where these wobbles are coming from, and can correct them easily. . . poor shrimp! They're like you canary in a coal mine, so to speak! Glad that they, and all the rest, are doing so well!
I do agree that being able to catch things early does make a huge difference. I try to focus on doing the things right I know that make a difference to hopefully prevent such problems. As for the tap, not yet. Been busy studying for finals and such. I may do it tonight.

Yesh the rest are doing well. I have newbies! 4 Horsehead Loaches showed up at the smaller good pet-shop. Originally I thought I was going to get two...because we could only see two. When the guy went to net number 2 he went under the undergravel filter! So that got taken out and two additional loachbutt heads popped up down there. XD

I only went in for wood for the SAE that are in the 150...and came out with fish too!


Here is a photo of the wood in the 150 that was added to the right side. No where near as big as the previous pieces so they don't take up as much space. They still provide some decent cover for the two large SAE.

thekoimaiden and Chesh like this.

Last edited by Sanguinefox; 04-26-2013 at 04:17 PM..
Sanguinefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #527
 
Chesh's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguinefox View Post
I feel like a bit of a derp mixing the two.
lol, Don't. I'm pretty sure we've ALL done this at some point! *hugs*
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #528
 
thekoimaiden's Avatar
 
Jes is right! I still mix them up when talking about them. Those two words are just so darn close!

New loachies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :3 They will be so happy with that sand! You have to get pictures when they burrow and just stick their heads out!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #529
 
Chesh's Avatar
 
Whoops! Sometimes I end up leaving a thread opened for a while, get distracted, and then come back to it. This must be what happened, because I somehow TOTALLY missed the update that you last posted!

Congrats on the new arrivals! *swoons for loachbutts* I'm seconding the call for pics! *begs* I really like the new DW, it looks really nice in there! I try to avoid the shops for the same reason. I ALWAYS end up coming out with far more than I intended to!!! Good stuff in your case, though :)
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:17 AM   #530
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
Whoops! Sometimes I end up leaving a thread opened for a while, get distracted, and then come back to it. This must be what happened, because I somehow TOTALLY missed the update that you last posted!

Congrats on the new arrivals! *swoons for loachbutts* I'm seconding the call for pics! *begs* I really like the new DW, it looks really nice in there! I try to avoid the shops for the same reason. I ALWAYS end up coming out with far more than I intended to!!! Good stuff in your case, though :)
Hehe, it's fine.

Well things have sure gone topsy turvy. After much thought and deliberation I made the decision to do a swap of stock in my tanks. All the fish in the 80 and the wood pile went into the 150. Queen and her cave/hollow set up has been moved into the 80 gallon.

It took 3 large rope tubs, 2 smaller buckets, and 4 pairs of hands. Two of my tubs got filled with fresh water, and then water from the tanks to help bring the water closer to the consistency of what each fish is in...but also going into.

Queen went into a tub along with most her stuff. All the fish in the 80 gallon were caught and put into another tub along with some of their things. Afterwards we reset and got the hardscape done along with putting back down any plants.

Queen went into her tank, and the other fish into the bigger one. The loachbutts gave us a lot of trouble, but Queen was the good girl. She gave us no issues at all and seemed glad to be in a tank all her own.



I hope to get good video of the loaches having so much fun in the current, playing, and trying to school with the Rainbow Fish. Other interesting tid bits:

It didn't take long for the Black Skirt Tetra to find each other again.

The Horse Face Loaches are digging like champs and apparently like to swim in a current.

Some of the loaches have no idea that Percy isn't a Loach and doesn't want to school/sleep with them.
thekoimaiden and Chesh like this.
Sanguinefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
75 Gallon Rescape: Bichir Tank Sanguinefox Freshwater Journals 107 07-07-2012 10:11 PM
10 gallon shrimp tank upgrade dtrea2662 Invertebrates 1 04-16-2012 07:02 PM
30 gallon to 70 gallon Query. (Cheap Upgrade) zaitmi Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 3 12-09-2009 04:26 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 PM.