150 Gallon Bichir Tank (Upgrade from 75) - Page 24 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 259Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #231 of 580 Old 10-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Member
 
Chesh's Avatar
 
They ALL look like they're really enjoying the new setup, makes me happy to see - great video! Queen really is MUCH bigger than the other two, isn't she? I don't think I realized. . . What's up with the Bichir snuggling action? Love it! Dude's like "OMG! THE QUEEN IS SITTING ON MY HEAD! *SQUEEEE* Looks like he doesn't know if he should be afraid or happy! Do they do that often? So neat to watch them interact . . . It seems that they're really feeling comfortable with their more natural dark 'hides' at each end of the tank, and with the added planting. You've really created a beautiful environment - and it seems as if they agree!

Glad to hear the loachlings are recovering - hoping they'll recover in record time!

Last edited by Chesh; 10-08-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Chesh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #232 of 580 Old 10-09-2012, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
They ALL look like they're really enjoying the new setup, makes me happy to see - great video! Queen really is MUCH bigger than the other two, isn't she? I don't think I realized. . . What's up with the Bichir snuggling action? Love it! Dude's like "OMG! THE QUEEN IS SITTING ON MY HEAD! *SQUEEEE* Looks like he doesn't know if he should be afraid or happy! Do they do that often? So neat to watch them interact . . . It seems that they're really feeling comfortable with their more natural dark 'hides' at each end of the tank, and with the added planting. You've really created a beautiful environment - and it seems as if they agree!

Glad to hear the loachlings are recovering - hoping they'll recover in record time!

Yeah she makes them look small. I really don't know what is up with that behavior. One part of me thinks it may be dominance related but another part wonders if that's just a way of checking out/figuring out the other fish. Bichirs have poor eye sight, and they also don't really have hands. So getting up close, feeling, nudging, nosing may be related to just simple primitive curiosity.

So far this is the first day I've witnessed it but my family tells me they see it every once in a while too.

That said thanks...This layout really makes me enjoy watching the tank a lot more. It's much more visually appealing and natural. Right now the Loaches are enjoying it too. They are using the wood and it's crevices to sleep on and it also keeps them safely out of the way of curious bichirs.

Also update, the little one has now gone back into the big tank. Since his sides have closed up I figure now is a good time as ever to put him back with his pack and into a sand environment.
Sanguinefox is offline  
post #233 of 580 Old 10-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Member
 
Chesh's Avatar
 
Sounds like he's healing up wonderfully! Glad to hear things are going well with that, poor little things. . . under your care, I'm sure they'll be good as new in no time - hopefully a bit wiser, too!
Chesh is offline  
post #234 of 580 Old 10-25-2012, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Been a while since I had time to do any updates. Currently the fish decided to argue with me gain. Seems like even after I take the time to make that nice wall of Ferns, the Bichirs don't like it. So they smack the plants around and keep knocking them out of place.

Since then I've cleared them from the middle, cut some of them apart and stuck them into some wood in hopes it will root/attach and take off. I've also wedged a mat on the left side somewhere. In any case the fish really seem to take to this new look.

Right now what bothers me is if the Gray Senegalus male will calm down and get used to Queen or is forever going to stress over the fact that this big gentle thing is in there. I say gentle because no matter what she just doesn't seem to show aggression. When her space isn't over crowded with all the fish in the tank she really has no desire to flare her fins at all. Even when she gets bumped or slapped on accident she just...ignores it.

Anyway enjoy the fish strolling around:

Hope to have pictures when it's light of the way the sides look soon enough.
Sanguinefox is offline  
post #235 of 580 Old 10-25-2012, 06:16 AM
Member
 
aussieJJDude's Avatar
 
Love the fishes! It going great so far!
Can't wait to see all the loaches back together again!

540L/140G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 254L/67g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
aussieJJDude is offline  
post #236 of 580 Old 10-25-2012, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieJJDude View Post
Love the fishes! It going great so far!
Can't wait to see all the loaches back together again!
They are actually all in there...the four left. Of the accident that led to bites, the bigger loach didn't make it. Smaller one is doing fine though. I really need to get their shoal size up. It would help them become active again. I may pester the pet-store again about A: Ordering me some adult Yoyo's or B: letting me know if they ever break down the display that has adults in it. I'd love to get a few more Zebra Loach if that doesn't work out.
Sanguinefox is offline  
post #237 of 580 Old 10-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Member
 
Chesh's Avatar
 
Aww, I'm sorry to hear that the loach didn't make it through :( Glad the little one is doing well, though! Isn't it funny when the fish decide that they like things better in a different way? I've come across this before, though my fish can't actually uproot and move plants by themselves! The new scape looks nice, too, and I always love to see your videos! I'm betting that the male will settle down. It's kind of new for Queen to be out and about so often, so he's probably just getting used to it, and I bet things will work out okay in the end. What does he DO to show his stress when she's about?
Chesh is offline  
post #238 of 580 Old 10-25-2012, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
Aww, I'm sorry to hear that the loach didn't make it through :( Glad the little one is doing well, though! Isn't it funny when the fish decide that they like things better in a different way? I've come across this before, though my fish can't actually uproot and move plants by themselves! The new scape looks nice, too, and I always love to see your videos! I'm betting that the male will settle down. It's kind of new for Queen to be out and about so often, so he's probably just getting used to it, and I bet things will work out okay in the end. What does he DO to show his stress when she's about?
It is to some point. I threw out all the pennywort because the Gourami kept wrapping it around things and then they would tug and pull things apart from where they are settled in.

I don't know. At least he was swimming about while Queen was swimming and didn't run to hide. When he's agitated he tends to glass surf on one side of the tank or rocket around recklessly like a panic stricken mother.
Sanguinefox is offline  
post #239 of 580 Old 10-25-2012, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Sanguinefox is offline  
post #240 of 580 Old 10-25-2012, 05:47 PM
Member
 
Chesh's Avatar
 
It's SOOOOOOOO PRETTY and ACTIVE!!! Good ol' BlueGill is looking gorgeous, and the Rasa seem to be having a wonderful time! Love it!
Chesh is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
75 Gallon Rescape: Bichir Tank Sanguinefox Freshwater Journals 107 07-07-2012 10:11 PM
10 gallon shrimp tank upgrade dtrea2662 Invertebrates 1 04-16-2012 07:02 PM
30 gallon to 70 gallon Query. (Cheap Upgrade) zaitmi Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 3 12-09-2009 04:26 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome