04-26-2007, 08:01 PM
| || |
OK, so I've done a pretty bad job at keeping up on this journal. Since I first set up the tank, and threw some plants in, I've had my hands full.
The first mistake that I made was putting a crappy filter on my tank. I had the filter die on me three times in the span of a week. After all that went down, the water got super cloudy, and algae took everything over. I got a few peppered cories to eat any extra food that went down to the bottom of the tank.
Since there was so much algae in the tank, I got a few otto's. They did did their best, but the algae grew faster than they could eat. To make matters worse, they only ate off of the glass and driftwood while the plants were succumbing to the onslaught of algae on their leaves.
A few days ago, I decided to spring for a better filter, and got the marineland biowheel for "aquariums up to 20 gallons." I cut open the filter cartridge and took out all the carbon, then turned it on. It took about two days for the new filter to clear up the water, and now the water's just shy of being crystal clear. Since I have the crappy top fin, I just decided to leave it on the tank.
OK, so the water's clear now, and the glass is OK. I see the ottos with full bellies, and there's still a little algae on the glass. I'm not too worried though because I think that an increase in water quality will lead to a decrease in algae. I tested to ammonia levels and they turned out to be zero, however I read that a lot of times with algae, the algae uses up the ammonia as fast as it's produced.
Yesterday, I got a male and 4 female guppies from my old 29 gallon that I gave to my girlfriend. Since I put them in there at about 11:00 last night, they've already eaten about 1/3 of the algae that was on the plants. Hopefully now some light will be able to actually reach the plants now and help them grow a bit.
Now the only problem is the algae on the substrate. The ottos don't seem to be too interested in eating off the ground. The guppies aren't interested either. The cories don't seem to have a taste for algae. Any suggestions? I was thinking that as soon as the algae elsewhere is eaten up, they're going to just give in and eat from the substrate.
Now that my problems are getting figured out, I'll be able to post a picture soon without being embarrassed!
Thanks for reading