I've been researching freshwater aquariums for the last two weeks trying to decide what to get. Last night I had decided that I would get a 29g starter kit since the places the wife has designated acceptable for the tank wouldn't allow for a 55g tank. So this morning, my daughter and I head out to buy the kit. Well, I ended coming home with a 56g (30" wide) Perfecto tank, top w/light and an enclosed stand. I still need to buy substrate, filtration and possibly a heater.
I've also decided that I want to have a planted community tank. For plants, the guy at the store recommended onion and brazillian sword plants. I want to have a pretty diverse tank with some schooling fish, bottom dwellers and what ever else will work.
I thought I had worked out a list of fish, but I keep getting conflicting information so I'm looking for suggestions. I was thinking about tetras, corys, danios and maybe some shrimp.
Now for the questions:
1. Since the tank has a bar across the middle, I'm thinking of a canister for filtration. Suggestions?
2. Substrate. How much, what kind ? Does the type of fish or plants I get have any bearing on this?
3. Heater. I know that certain fish need warmer/cooler water than others. The tank won't be getting any direct sunlight and I live in the south east (Atlanta, Ga).
4. Filling the tank. Do I put the substrate in before the water? Should I dechlorinate before I add the water or after since I'm starting with an empty tank?
5. Given my location, anyone know of a good source for pure ammonia?
I know that the answer to some of the questions are dependant on what fish and plants I get, but I'm really anxious to get this thing filled up so I can get it cycled. I'm planning on doing the fishless cycling btw.
I think I've really overloaded my brain trying to decide on all of this.
thanks in advance.