01-01-2013, 05:42 AM
| || |
Originally Posted by MSG
Sorry in the last post, I didn't have time to compare your measurements to the standard dimensions of the most common fish tanks.
- 29 Gallon (Standard) - 30" x 12" x 18" = 330 lbs when completely filled with H2o.
- 20 Gallon (High) - 24" x 12" x 16" = 225 lbs when completely filled with H2o.
This is how I value the equipment in the picture. Note... These is US prices
Since the tank was badly scratched I wouldn't have bought it unless it was a very RARE unique shape that I WANTED.
- Vintage Radiant HOB Heater $3-$5 (I had no idea they STILL sold these types of heaters till 5 days ago. Brand new they're $6)
- The double metal stand = $ 20 (I can't tell if it's aluminum or steel. I would prefer steel)
- 29G tank = $40 (depending on the equipment & condition I would pay easily 2x this price.)
- 20G tank = $30
- Basic used tank hoods with the standard fluorescent tubes = $10-$15
Also a FILTER can vary in quality, efficiency & dependability, they're NOT all the same. Sounds like your tank had a UG filter (Undergravel Filter).
Anytime you buy previously used equipment, always ask questions & always be slightly skeptical about any claims the seller makes.
- Get a list of the brand & model name of the equipment.
- Research online & ask people on forums like this what their opinion on the VALUE of the item is.
- Decide if you want to go through the hassle of cleaning USED equipment or just go with new equipment.
- Mineral deposits & medicated tanks can residue that can be very difficult if not impossible to clean off completely
He gave me another vintage heater to replace the one I had before. Not sure if it will actually heat the tank up...seems to be climbing in temp though slowly according to the thermometer. The stand is steel I think. Here is exactly what I got.
35 gallon tank
20 gallon tank
50lbs of substrate
big wood thingy for the one tank
2 light fixtures with bulbs
all would of cost $738 after taxes here.
I feel so bad now for buying it, I feel like I have been ripped off. I took that money out of savings I had for my dog (was going to replace it in a month anyway but still). As for the UG, he never gave me one. Not sure if one was used on this tank or not