I just set up my aquarium 2 weeks ago. As per the fish stores advice I am cycling my aquarium with 5 zebra danios. The first time I tested the water the ammonia was very low and nitrites and nitrates were both 0. I kept testing the water over the next week or so and it was still showing the same reading ammonia low with 0 nitrite and nitrates. It is a little over 2 weeks later and My readings show that ammonia and nitrites are both rising but I also have nitrates. I thought nitrates werent supposed to show up until after the ammonia went back down to zero and the nitrites were the only thing rising. Why am I showing all three rising at the same time? Is this normal?? Thanks in advance!!
Here are my tank particulars:
1. Size of aquarium- 20 Gallon
2. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or saltwater? -Freshwater
3. How long the aquarium has been setup- little over 2 weeks
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium -5 zebra danios
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium? - No
6. What make/model filter are you using? - Whisper in tank filter
7. Are you using a CO2 unit? - ummm I have a air pump and bubbler...does that count??
8. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? - yes, but not direct sunlight
9. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed? - few days ago it was a 10% per the fish stores advice.
10.How often and what foods do you feed your fish- Its called nutramax for tropical fish, I feed them twice a day small meals.
11.Is your aquarium light incandescent or fluorescent and how often is it kept on? Not sure what kind maybe flourescent Leave it on for about 12 hours a day. I always turn it off at night.
12.What specific concerns bring you in with a water sample at this time- stated above.