Way to make filtration better? - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 08-17-2013, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Vpaw's Avatar
 
Way to make filtration better?

In my goldfish tank, where I have 2 of them, 29 gallon. I have an HOB filter. It has room for 2 b sized filter cartridges and I put one in at a time. It also has a bio wheel, but it stops spinning a day or two after I put a new cartridge in! They are also very dirty when I change them out. I can't afford to change them every 3 days, is there anything I can do? Any cheap filtration?

My other tank doesn't get nearly that filthy, and I don't change it often because I have plants and instead of carbon use a pillow stuffing looking type thing in the cartridge.

The filter is supposed to be good for up to 45 gallons. *sigh* I do a weekly water change of about 5 gallons on both tanks, sometimes ill do another in the middle of the week for the Goldie's. once they outgrow the tank I'm giving them to a pond, although one of them was my first fish ever ;(

With my first girl.
Vpaw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 Old 08-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Member
 
Reece's Avatar
 
I think the actual problem may be over filtration. With the filter being designed for more water than there is it's taking more bacteria and waste out of the tank than a filter suitable for your tank size would.

Don't take that as setting stone, I just wanted to contribute. I'm sure someone who knows a lot more will contribute shortly ;)

"Don't leave something good, to find something better, once you know you had the best, the best has found better" -Drake

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 Gallon Planted Freshwater Tank:

- 7 Harlequin Rasbora
- 1 Bristlenose Pleco
Reece is offline  
post #3 of 27 Old 08-17-2013, 06:02 PM
New Member
 
I use the marineland bio wheel I use filter fiber looks like pillow stuffing and I use I call them fill your own carbon bags works well change one side at a time if you only have one side change half of the filter fiber it is a lot cheaper than the cartridge but you will have check it often it gets clogged kind of quick and cleen the impeller often couse the filter fiber sometimes get colied around it it is a lot more work but a lot cheaper one other thing you can do that is less work is use the marineland rite size blue filter pad and cut it to side and same thing fill your own carbon bag or put one pad down then the loose carbon on top then a 2nt pad on top the bag has on the marineland rite size filter pad has a picture on how that work those are the only ways that I know of I hope i was able to help you .
lou1387 is offline  
post #4 of 27 Old 08-17-2013, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Vpaw's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou1387 View Post
I use the marineland bio wheel I use filter fiber looks like pillow stuffing and I use I call them fill your own carbon bags works well change one side at a time if you only have one side change half of the filter fiber it is a lot cheaper than the cartridge but you will have check it often it gets clogged kind of quick and cleen the impeller often couse the filter fiber sometimes get colied around it it is a lot more work but a lot cheaper one other thing you can do that is less work is use the marineland rite size blue filter pad and cut it to side and same thing fill your own carbon bag or put one pad down then the loose carbon on top then a 2nt pad on top the bag has on the marineland rite size filter pad has a picture on how that work those are the only ways that I know of I hope i was able to help you .
That's what I do for my 20 gallon. Does it provide better filteration? And my smaller tank has the fill it yourself things but I haven't found one in the b size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
I think the actual problem may be over filtration. With the filter being designed for more water than there is it's taking more bacteria and waste out of the tank than a filter suitable for your tank size would.

Don't take that as setting stone, I just wanted to contribute. I'm sure someone who knows a lot more will contribute shortly ;)
And actually it is recommended for go,dfish to have a stronger one since they produce so much waste :) it's 29-45 so it's not over..

With my first girl.
Vpaw is offline  
post #5 of 27 Old 08-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Member
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
I think the actual problem may be over filtration. With the filter being designed for more water than there is it's taking more bacteria and waste out of the tank than a filter suitable for your tank size would.

Don't take that as setting stone, I just wanted to contribute. I'm sure someone who knows a lot more will contribute shortly ;)
That's not how filtration works it does not take bacteria out of the water - there is no bacteria in the water to be taken out. Bacteria lives on the biofilm that forms on surfaces in the tank.

5 gallons a week is not a large enough of a water change for a goldfish tank. I would start by upping the water change to at least 50%.
jentralala likes this.

125 - BGK, chanchito cichlid, pictus cats, silver dollars, palmas bichir
125 - cichlids (severums, bolivian rams, chocolate), rainbows ( turquoise, red), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, tiretrack eel, pearl gouramis, betta
90 - Congo tetras, african knife, upside down cats, spotted ctenopoma, kribensis, delhezzi bichir
2.5 - betta
jaysee is offline  
post #6 of 27 Old 08-17-2013, 06:33 PM
Member
 
Reece's Avatar
 
An uneducated guess :P

"Don't leave something good, to find something better, once you know you had the best, the best has found better" -Drake

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 Gallon Planted Freshwater Tank:

- 7 Harlequin Rasbora
- 1 Bristlenose Pleco
Reece is offline  
post #7 of 27 Old 08-17-2013, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Vpaw's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
That's not how filtration works it does not take bacteria out of the water - there is no bacteria in the water to be taken out. Bacteria lives on the biofilm that forms on surfaces in the tank.

5 gallons a week is not a large enough of a water change for a goldfish tank. I would start by upping the water change to at least 50%.
Yikes, a week? I did that daily for the 20 gallon when I had extremly high nitrates. Phew. Hmm... 50% of 29 rounded to 30 would be 15 gallons, so three buckets... I just hate carrying the bucket around and messing up the decor.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

With my first girl.
Vpaw is offline  
post #8 of 27 Old 08-17-2013, 07:03 PM
New Member
 
I think there is not much difference in filtration if any at all the fill it your self carbon bags don't have to be size b I think what you are tanking about might be a little different the ones im tanking about are like a kind of canvas drawstring bag kind of like a filter sock but a little different I don't know if you are aloud to post a links on here if you are I can get one from ebay or amazon to show you the price and what they look like if you can post links here I would gladly post you a link with what im talking about hope this helps
lou1387 is offline  
post #9 of 27 Old 08-17-2013, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Vpaw's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou1387 View Post
I think there is not much difference in filtration if any at all the fill it your self carbon bags don't have to be size b I think what you are tanking about might be a little different the ones im tanking about are like a kind of canvas drawstring bag kind of like a filter sock but a little different I don't know if you are aloud to post a links on here if you are I can get one from ebay or amazon to show you the price and what they look like if you can post links here I would gladly post you a link with what im talking about hope this helps
You can post links, people do it all the time :)


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

With my first girl.
Vpaw is offline  
post #10 of 27 Old 08-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Member
 
jentralala's Avatar
 
Instead of buckets you could rig up a large siphon hose to drain and fill. I made one.

It's a 15 foot siphon that I attach to the inside of the tank with a suction cup, and drain water into my bathtub or out the window. Then you can either fill the tank with a hose (mine is right next to my window so that was easy) or rig up an attachment to your faucet, so the siphon screws onto the faucet to fill the tank.

Would make water changes much quicker and less of a hassle :)

Or you could buy one of these. http://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Python-Aquarium-Maintenance/dp/B000255NXC
jentralala is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Over Filtration? FishinFool Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 16 01-20-2012 11:01 AM
Filtration "does it make sense to have two filters" PRIMESIX Beginner Planted Aquarium 3 12-23-2011 08:15 PM
How much filtration is too much filtration for a 5gal nano? Kytkattin Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 08-13-2011 10:06 AM
How Much Filtration is Too Much? herefishy Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 4 01-26-2008 02:21 PM
Filtration joeshmoe Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 1 08-07-2006 08:14 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome