Sizzling heater, melted plastic - Page 3 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 Old 12-16-2010, 11:53 AM
oh wait can i use this:

Tower Manufacturing Corporation GFCI 5-Outlet Adapter - 30339015 at The Home Depot

can i still attach a power strip to this?
SinCrisis is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #22 of 25 Old 12-16-2010, 11:53 AM
redchigh's Avatar
If you don't have electrical experience, I would cut ALL electricity to the house before trying- use a flashlight.

(Some old houses have buggy wiring.)

Rubber gloves wouldn't help that much...

Originally Posted by Christople View Post
^^ genius

Soil Substrates Guide:
Part 1
--------- Part 2

redchigh is offline  
post #23 of 25 Old 12-16-2010, 01:41 PM
I've never done it my self... I just always tell my dad to do it . I'm not unfamiliar with wiring though. I have a lot more experience with DC power then AC. Replacing an outlet should be pretty simply and straight forward. Always always turn off the breaker when you work on a outlet and IMO use a multimeter as well.

That last outlet plug you linked will work, you can plug a regular power strip into that. If you need more then one I would look for some online. Don't buy the cheapest brand you can find though.... Its best to test them monthly. You just push the "test" button and it should cut power to everything plug into it. Push reset to turn it back on. If it ever trips in a real life case you push reset as well to turn it back on. Look over all equipment if it has actually tripped, both before and after you turn it back on and keep a close eye on the tank. I like to try to limit it to one large tank or multiple small tanks on one GFCI. If it does trip and you were running 3 or more tanks off it, it gets harder and harder to locate where your problem is/was. GFCI is really there to protect YOU from shock, number one threat in aquarium is the submersible heater. They greatly reduce the chances of a fatal shock, they do not remove it completely. I have through my own stupidity shocked myself on a system that was GFCI protected during a water change. It technically shouldn't of happened, but I also shouldn't of been so stupid in the first place. I don't think it was enough to trip the GFCI or was way to brief. Anyway its not fun at all, worst then electrical fences. Hurts like a ^$&*@, vision went flickery, and really really nauseous.

.... I'm probably drunk.

This is how I lurk

Mikaila31 is offline  
post #24 of 25 Old 12-16-2010, 02:24 PM
my experience with wiring is just inside computers i put together so not the same. Ive shocked myself before witha light switch that i punched and then had to try and fix it while it was sitll on. Shocked my arm for about 2 second and was numb for the next hour and a half... Yea my eyes were buggin out too for a bit but i wasnt nauseous. Still a pretty terrible experience.

I have one of those meters that tells you if an outlet is working from working on pcs since i need to check the PSU all the time.

I need the power strip because my timer is huge and will take up at least 2 of the 5 slots. That GFCI 5-outlet thing is the only one i could find on home depot's site so theres no "better" brand to buy.
SinCrisis is offline  
post #25 of 25 Old 12-16-2010, 04:55 PM
New Member
underh2o's Avatar
gfi protected thats all i can say. sorry canot go any ferether

When looking for a solution to an Aquarium problem go slow and change only one parameter at a time!
underh2o is offline  

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Melted/Cracked Bulb Housing! nmclemore Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 0 09-28-2010 03:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome