Replacing undergravel filter - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-13-2011, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Replacing undergravel filter

I am summarizing the entire process of replacing an UG filter stepwise. Please correct me if i am wrong anywhere.

Step 1. Unplug the heater and let the tank sit for an hour

Step 2. Unplug all the filters and pumps

Step 3. Remove 50 percent water into a bucket1

Step 4. Remove the fishes and keep them in that bucket1 of removed water

Step 5. Add an airwood connected with an air pump into the bucket of fishes

Step 6. Remove the remaining 50 percent water into another bucket2

Step 7. Remove the entire gravel,decorations and filters and put them into the bucket2

Step 8. Remove the old under-gravel filter

Step 9. Set up the new under-gravel filter

Step 10. Put the gravel back from bucket2 into the tank and lay it evenly over the plates of the new under-gravel filter

Step 11. Add 50 percent fresh tap water after treating with anti-chlorine into the tank

Step 12. Add the filters and decorations into the tank

Step 13. Add the fishes into the tank from bucket1

Step 14. Add the remaining 50 percent water from the bucket1 where the fishes were kept

Step 15. Wait for 15-30 minutes to settle the water

Step 16. Start the filters,pump and heater
sunny21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 07-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Member
 
DKRST's Avatar
 
Just curious, but why are you having to replace the UG filter plate? They usually last a really long time....
DKRST is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 07-13-2011, 12:19 PM
UGF? How quaint - <hehe>
I would also suggest that depending on the existing water quality, if you introduce the fish to the fresh water, you should acclimate them slowly and if you do that, I don't know that the remaining old water has much value.
Also, you really don't need to wait an hour after unplugging the heater - even if it had been on, it will just cool in the air instead of water.

Father Knows Best but Abbey knows everything! I once knew everything, then I asked one question.
` ...><((((>` . . ` . . . ><((((> . ` .. . ><((((>

Last edited by AbbeysDad; 07-13-2011 at 12:22 PM.
AbbeysDad is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 07-13-2011, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRST View Post
Just curious, but why are you having to replace the UG filter plate? They usually last a really long time....
Actually my existing filter plates cover only a 40 percent of the tank bed so i am planning to replace it ASAP
sunny21 is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 07-13-2011, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
UGF? How quaint - <hehe>
I would also suggest that depending on the existing water quality, if you introduce the fish to the fresh water, you should acclimate them slowly and if you do that, I don't know that the remaining old water has much value.
Also, you really don't need to wait an hour after unplugging the heater - even if it had been on, it will just cool in the air instead of water.
UG's are good bio-filters i guess that is why using them

Anyway thanks for the suggestions
sunny21 is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 07-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny21 View Post
UG's are good bio-filters i guess that is why using them

Anyway thanks for the suggestions
Yes they are, just make sure you keep the gravel reasonably cleaned.

Father Knows Best but Abbey knows everything! I once knew everything, then I asked one question.
` ...><((((>` . . ` . . . ><((((> . ` .. . ><((((>
AbbeysDad is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 07-13-2011, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
Yes they are, just make sure you keep the gravel reasonably cleaned.
Okay :)
sunny21 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY undergravel filter help Monsterpony DIY Aquarium 3 03-19-2008 11:58 PM
Replacing Filter pad, can you do it and how do you do it? bradley22 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 1 02-09-2008 02:46 PM
Undergravel filter Falina Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 3 05-04-2007 06:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome