lights - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-19-2011, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
lights

So I'm in the wally store and decide I'll try some new lights that just might support a plant or two. I get a couple of 'Aquarium & Plant' lights and off I go.
I put them in without paying much attention to the stamp on the bulb. One side is a dingy yellow and the other is brite white. The dingy yellow was the aquarium & plant bulb while the bright white was a GE Daylight bulb. Liking the daylight bulb much better. Lights need to go back.

Father Knows Best but Abbey knows everything! I once knew everything, then I asked one question.
` ...><((((>` . . ` . . . ><((((> . ` .. . ><((((>
AbbeysDad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 12-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Yeah from my experience most lights labeled 'Plants' often have a spectrum no where near ideal for growing them. Walmart sometimes sells GE aquarays which are one of my favorite bulbs. They have a great spectrum for plant growth and good color. If they had them they would be in the fish section. Other then that just go with some 6500K bulbs, this is probably what the GE daylight is.

.... I'm probably drunk.

This is how I lurk


Mikaila31 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikaila31 For This Useful Post:
AbbeysDad (12-19-2011), sam7152004 (12-19-2011)
post #3 of 11 Old 12-19-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaila31 View Post
Yeah from my experience most lights labeled 'Plants' often have a spectrum no where near ideal for growing them. Walmart sometimes sells GE aquarays which are one of my favorite bulbs. They have a great spectrum for plant growth and good color. If they had them they would be in the fish section. Other then that just go with some 6500K bulbs, this is probably what the GE daylight is.
Yes, matter of fact, I was out replacing the lame aquarium & plant lights with the GE Daylight lights which in fact are 6500k while you wrote this. I think these will be much better, but I just don't know if these would be enough for a real planted tank as there is only one T8 fixture per hood, so there are only 2 lights and this 60g is 24" deep.
I'm gonna put these in and experiment just a little

Father Knows Best but Abbey knows everything! I once knew everything, then I asked one question.
` ...><((((>` . . ` . . . ><((((> . ` .. . ><((((>
AbbeysDad is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 12-19-2011, 04:27 PM
Member
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
Yes, matter of fact, I was out replacing the lame aquarium & plant lights with the GE Daylight lights which in fact are 6500k while you wrote this. I think these will be much better, but I just don't know if these would be enough for a real planted tank as there is only one T8 fixture per hood, so there are only 2 lights and this 60g is 24" deep.
I'm gonna put these in and experiment just a little
I think your best bet and chances for success would be to stick with low light plants. Java ferns, some swords, anubias plants. Stay away from stems plants with the exception of Pennywort. That might work. I have also heard Moneywort is a low light plant.
I have a standard 55 gallon tank with 2 48" T8 bulbs and I still can't grow some plants. You will have even less light to work with.
Boredomb is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 12-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Member
 
Quantum's Avatar
 
A bulb configured to emit the proper wavelength for photosynthesis will almost necessarily look dimmer than a full spectrum bulb. Just because it may look dingy to us doesn't mean the plants won't like it.
Quantum is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 12-19-2011, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
A bulb configured to emit the proper wavelength for photosynthesis will almost necessarily look dimmer than a full spectrum bulb. Just because it may look dingy to us doesn't mean the plants won't like it.
Perhaps, but the dim, very yellow hue was totally unacceptable to me for viewing and since my tank is fully planted with (plastic) plants with low light requirements, a whiter light looks much better

Father Knows Best but Abbey knows everything! I once knew everything, then I asked one question.
` ...><((((>` . . ` . . . ><((((> . ` .. . ><((((>
AbbeysDad is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 12-19-2011, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
I think your best bet and chances for success would be to stick with low light plants. Java ferns, some swords, anubias plants. Stay away from stems plants with the exception of Pennywort. That might work. I have also heard Moneywort is a low light plant.
I have a standard 55 gallon tank with 2 48" T8 bulbs and I still can't grow some plants. You will have even less light to work with.
Right, my two 18" T8's are less than half the light you have. The trouble is I'd need all new hoods/lights and it's just not practical right now.

Father Knows Best but Abbey knows everything! I once knew everything, then I asked one question.
` ...><((((>` . . ` . . . ><((((> . ` .. . ><((((>
AbbeysDad is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 12-19-2011, 08:45 PM
Member
 
Quantum's Avatar
 
Yeah, the plant tubes don't make for the best display, usually it's the pink hue they impart that is unapealling. That these have a yellow hue makes me think, as Mikaila suggested, that they have the wrong spectral output - no way of knowing for sure though without a spectral graph.

The 6500K is the best compromise between appealing display and good plant light.
Quantum is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 12-20-2011, 03:02 AM
The yellow blubs where probably 3,700K which is what mimics incandescent light. "plant tubes" are just all over the board and there is no single reason why I avoid them. Take the zoo med line for example and compare all their "plant" recommended lights. There is absolutely no consistency. Yes you would need to know spectral output to get a good idea of the bulbs performance.

6500K bulbs are the most common and recommended, I wouldn't say the best. Best really comes down to opinion. Spectrum isn't linked to color temp very much. I have seen spectrum graphs of 6500K bulbs that IMO are poor for plant growth. 6500K is the lowest I will use as far as color temp. I love GE aquarays(fresh and saltwater) which are somewhere around 9325K. They have awesome color and a really good spectrum for photosynthesis.

.... I'm probably drunk.

This is how I lurk


Mikaila31 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 12-20-2011, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaila31 View Post
The yellow blubs where probably 3,700K which is what mimics incandescent light. "plant tubes" are just all over the board and there is no single reason why I avoid them. Take the zoo med line for example and compare all their "plant" recommended lights. There is absolutely no consistency. Yes you would need to know spectral output to get a good idea of the bulbs performance.

6500K bulbs are the most common and recommended, I wouldn't say the best. Best really comes down to opinion. Spectrum isn't linked to color temp very much. I have seen spectrum graphs of 6500K bulbs that IMO are poor for plant growth. 6500K is the lowest I will use as far as color temp. I love GE aquarays(fresh and saltwater) which are somewhere around 9325K. They have awesome color and a really good spectrum for photosynthesis.
My 60g tank is separated on top to take two hood/light fixtures - 18", T8, 15w making bulb selections very limited. It's going to have to remain as is with the two GE Daylights's (6500k) for the foreseeable future.
They could support some floating plants and a little algae.

Father Knows Best but Abbey knows everything! I once knew everything, then I asked one question.
` ...><((((>` . . ` . . . ><((((> . ` .. . ><((((>

Last edited by AbbeysDad; 12-20-2011 at 08:18 AM.
AbbeysDad is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lights, lights and more LIGHTS! Miguel0314 Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 2 10-19-2010 10:13 AM
lights fishyinpa Catfish 2 08-10-2009 10:13 AM
looking for lights... simster571 Saltwater Aquarium Equipment 2 06-04-2008 01:11 AM
LED lights scottven Beginner Planted Aquarium 7 12-20-2007 01:02 PM
Lights usmc121581 Saltwater Aquarium Equipment 8 11-07-2006 05:06 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome